“First time visit disappointing”

The Flying Biscuit Cafe
Ranked #13 of 328 Restaurants in Norcross
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Columbia, South Carolina
“First time visit disappointing”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The flying Biscuit restaurant has been at this location for a few years but we had never visited it for breakfast. Others had visited and told us it was okay but not as good as the main one in downtown Atlanta. We decided to visit and try it on New Year’s Day which was a mistake.

Upon arriving about 11:00 AM, it was much busier than expected from our point of view and as later transpired that it was busier than they expected too! They seated up promptly but no immediate offer of coffee from anyone. Took the waitress a considerable amount of time to come over and even acknowledge that we were new patrons and ask if we wanted coffee; at least 5 minutes. This wasn’t a good start. We reviewed the menu and most offerings for breakfast come with their turkey sausage and not bacon. We prefer regular pork bacon and that’s what we had in mind. You can order it as a separate side item though instead. Most entrees come with grits which is fine with me but “yuk!” from my wife’s point of view!

Once the waitress did visit the table, she took the coffee order right away and did bring it quickly; my wife was pleased they offered Earl Grey tea and she ordered that. It did come soon also, medium size pot of hot water so you prepare the tea yourself and have at least 2 cups out of the pot. We also by that time knew what we wanted to order and did so. I got the flying biscuit breakfast which was 2 eggs, turkey sausage and grits. My wife ordered just 2 eggs over easy and pork bacon. We were not in any hurry and sat near the kitchen window. As it was we had a newspaper and read it casually, drank the coffee and tea, checked on our emails with our iphones and sat and sat and sat…….. hummmmmmmm. Not good!
It was 11:45 AM by the time we got our food. Yes we were not in any rush to go anywhere and wanted to enjoy the food. The biscuit itself was the highlight and the best thing of each entre. Eggs? How can you screw them up? They were fine. The biscuit came with some type of spicy apple or cinnamon type of butter. It was outstanding too on the biscuit. The pork bacon though on my wife’s plate was way too greasy. Could have fried 6 eggs with how much grease was on the 3 strips of bacon! It was very hard too, tasted more like cardboard than a good pork or maple flavor. The turkey sausage that came with my eggs though did taste very good and my wife agreed when she sampled it. So guess that’s why all their breakfasts usually come standard with the turkey sausage.

After finishing the food and watching the constant number of tables the waitress was addressing, it took another 10 minutes just to get the check. We also asked for a to go cup so we could take the coffee and tea that was left. They did bring the cups. I had brought a coupon from the local mailers that come and the waitress noted it was expired in November but she said she would inquire if the manager would allow the use of it. When she returned with the cups she said that the manager refused to accept the coupon “as there are more up to date ones out there”. What a crock! The purpose of coupons is to get someone in the door and make it a good experience and give a small incentive to entice the customer to return. It is to create goodwill and make the customer comfortable. So what an excuse that he wouldn’t accept the coupon. The expiration date is just something printed on the coupon; this place is just a small local place and if the manager won’t accept a $2 coupon because the date on the coupon is expired, then I guess that manager does not want me back as a customer. You better go back to business school and understand that the customer is supposed to be king.

Overall, if you have read this far, I will cut the place a break because they indicated that they were way understaffed for the number of customers that came in on a holiday. So the attention by the waitress was very distracted and likely very stressful. We tipped her the standard percentage despite the situation. But even the kitchen staff seemed understaffed that day, should have been someone else helping out there. Even with the heavy number of patrons, the manager should have adjusted and had various people doing other things to help out. The hostess was standing around doing very little – why didn’t the manager have her pouring coffee to patrons while they all waited too? And the feedback from the manager regarding the coupon will definitely sway my thoughts significantly if I ever decide to go back or ever recommend it to anyone else.

• Visited January 2014

“Pleased with our service.”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

This was my first time coming to "The Flying Biscuit" in Norcross GA. I so love our waitress Ms. A (i think). I loved the welcoming feeling as I entered, while eating & exiting.
I am so glad that I decided to come. Their coffee was mmmm...mmmm... Good
Good job "The Flying Biscuit" you guys rock

Winston Salem
“A good quality breakfast”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The food is much better than IHOP or Cracker Barrel and the prices aren't much higher. The selections seemed much healthier than other breakfast places. We enjoyed it and will eat there again.

• Visited November 2013
Florida Keys, Florida
“What happened to this iconic resturant?”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This location OTP used to be great. However, I just visited last week and I have to say it was terrible. I went in for a weekday breakfast; ordered the piedmont omelet--the bacon was just stuck on top of the eggs. The salmon scramble didn't have any noticeable cream cheese mixed in and the pieces of salmon were tiny, tiny...not like it used to be. Flying Biscuit HQ needs to figure out what is happening here. (This visit was after the "reopening" too. Sad...

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pattyduluthtoo
Uppsala, Sweden
“Great crabcakes”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nice and attentive staff. The crab cakes were the best ones I've ever had. Others really enjoyed their bison burgers.

Visited October 2013