“Nasty & Old!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville
“Nasty & Old!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

First let me say that Jeff, the bartender, and Terrance, the Assistant Front Office Mgr, were AWESOME and tried to assist us as best they could. We got a good wknd rate now I know why. This was not a typical Marriott quality hotel! It was more like a Do Drop Inn from the late 80's. There was a stain filled out of date chair and couch in our room. There were strange stains on both. Some were crusty and white.....ill use your imagination to think what they might have been. Also, there was a glass table from the 80's in our room that was filled with mold! Just when we thought it could not get any worse there was dust on the couch, on the bathroom counter and on the desk that was about 2 inches thick. In the hall way the was a funky damp mold smell. There was water leaking in areas from the ceiling in the halls. Wall paper was peeling in the hallways as well. When we returned back at 6:15 pm our room had not been cleaned. One of the reasons is because the maid on our floor was standing in hall talking on her phone for about 30 mins!!! I am sure that put her behind on her cleaning...smh. We were in room 243 and part of the door was gone around the lock as if someone had attempted to break in. They tried to replace it with some whit putty stuff a mess. Terrance did move us the concierge floor but the Concierge Lounge is closed on Saturdays & Sundays and we were there over the weekend......really when the hotel is full of people?????? This property NEEDS SO MUCH attention to bring it up to the most basic Marriott standards. The rooms are just AWEFUL! Hey but the bar food was great. Thanks Jeff & Terrance for all you did.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Roger F, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thanks so much for giving us your feedback. I was deeply disappointed when I read about your experience here at the Marriott Norcross. I can honestly say that the stay you described is not typical at all of the feedback we get from a great majority of our guests. I did go and inspect the room you initially were given and on the table there definitely was wear on the rim. What appeared as a dark area was actually a place where the plating had worn and exposed the dark metal underneath. I am happy to say we are in the final stages of planning for a complete renovation. In the meantime however we always work to provide a clean hotel for our guests.

Please let me know if your travels bring you back to the Norcross area as I would be happy to have you back at our hotel so that you can experience our hotel and our wonderful staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Clearwater, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed here because this week the Gwinett Place Marriott was sold or otherwise lost to the Marriott family of properties. This location is a touch worn and priced accordingly. However, the staff was typical Marriott meaning great service. Met the Manager, concierge breakfast was all good and it is located in a nice walkable neighborhood which is a plus for me. My 5th floor room was quiet, comfortable and the bed was great. All in all, exactly why I love Marriott.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Roger F, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us valuable feedback from your stay. I always treat the feedback we receive as golden information and an invaluable training tool for our staff.
I would be the first to admit our hotel is not the newest but we take great pride in the service we provide out guests and I am delighted our team took great care of you.

I hope the next time your travels bring you to the Norcross area you will again allow us to provide you a home away from home.

Cheers!
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

First, it's a 3 star, you get what you get. I think some people expect to get a 5 star hotel and service for a 3 star price. Got a great deal on Priceline and it was worth it. My wife said the bed was uncomfortable, but I thought it was fine. I was disappointed that there was no microwave or refrigerator. The front-desk guy was very friendly and accomodating on check-in. I do wish breakfast was included. There is a Starbucks directly across the highway though... The indoor pool and whirlpool area were both great, we did have to wait till late to use them as there were some very rowdy young people there earlier. The only thing I would change is that someone from the hotel not allow people to completely block the area in front of the entrance. It was pouring down raining and there were several people from the same party parking in this area completely blocking the way for any other cars coming through. They were not loading or unloading they were just waiting for others from their party to leave. Even though I asked politely for them to move so I could come through, but they clearly thought that they were the most important people on earth and did not have to be polite.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Roger F, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you so very much for giving us this valuable feedback. Glad to hear you found the beds comfortable. We get a lot of great feedback about the beds and bedding. Some people actually as where to buy it! We do also offer rates that include breakfast. These are usually always available on the Marriott website. Thanks also for the feedback about the Microwave. We stopped offering microwaves because we found that it was difficult to control the food odor in the rooms. We do have a microwave in the gift shop area of our lobby which is always avaialble to our guests.

Thank you again and I hope the next time your travels bring you to the Atlanta area you will again call the Marriott Norcross home.
Ft. Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We visited this property last weekend, April 26-28 for a wedding. Our visit started with a very rocky start....only one person working at the front desk (a frequent occurrance, which caused us a wait each time we needed to go to the desk) resulting in a fairly lengthy wait. Finally, we received a very nice greeting and a quick check in, only to go to our room which had an overwhelming smoke smell before we even entered the room! Two steps into the room, it was apparent we could not stay in that room. Another trip back to the front desk with a shorter wait and great service. I asked for a non-smoking room and was sheepishly told the entire hotel was supposed to be non-smoking. We were accommodated with another king room promptly. (I'm quite sure the prior guest in the first room badly abused the no smoking policy.) Because of the wedding, we had to go to the front desk an additional time to reserve our time for the shuttle to the wedding. Again, one person working, thus a wait. I must add that when we checked out about 11 AM, there were two people working, so apparently they only have single people working afternoons/evenings. However, I will submit a warning....the hotel was at 100% occupancy Sat night, so they could have scheduled an additional person Sun morning because of this.

The rooms, although small, are very nicely appointed and maintained spotlessly. Nice TV and wonderful water pressure!! I'm very picky about rooms, and I was happy here. Mattress was great.

The only drawback to this hotel was the lack of staffing at the front desk (they can't controll random people smoking in their room). The second room was great and the staff was wonderful and very accommodating. I have to mention Jeff, the bartender, who personably accommodated us as we awaited our departure to, then later return from the wedding activities. He remembered all the wedding guests each night as well as their drinks. Great service from a great guy! Shout out to Jeff!

Very pleasant stay. Only recommendation is that management provide a second person at the front desk in the weekend afternoons, starting on Friday.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank luvthebeach02
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback from your visit. I hope the wedding was a very happy day! I was disappointed to hear you had to wait in line at the desk. It is actually not our practice to schedule only one person at the front desk. Sometimes the second person will have to step away for one reason or another and it seems like you experienced those times a lot! :)

I will definitely make it a point to review the Front Desk schedule with the desk manager more closely to make sure we have enough people scheduled to take care of our guests.

I hope you will come back to Norcross soon and stay with us again.

Have a wonderful day!
Duluth, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

This hotel I used to stay at quite often before is a three star hotel but falls "short" on its promises.
When a person goes to a three star hotel you want to hear YES, YES...not NO, NO. First I was told "NO" when I wanted to order pancakes when it was 11:30 am by the clerk and then the room service person also, you would think? they might want to make "some" money right? Then I requested their free shuttle vehicle service to go to IHOP less than 1 mile down the street, it was raining. I then was told, NO again cause I wasnt part of the two wedding parties going on at their hotel, soooo...I guess? if your just one or two people the attitude if "Bleep you!" Suddenly...then its a One Star hotel in their eyes. So...after complaining to the 800 customer service..I had to talk to the same unhelpful clerk who gave me more excuses. Finally, I got up...packed my bags...called a taxi...checked out of this "Worthless Hotel!" When I was down at he desk checking out, NOT A SOUL, NO Customers Around!....when I walked out the door I said goodbye to the Empty Shuttle NOT IN USE! Never Again!!! And...I travel and stay in hotels all the time!

Room Tip: The Tip!...stay at an Atlanta hotel instead of the smaller town hotels
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank bruce l
Rodney G, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to inform me of your experience here at the Atlanta Marriott Norcross Hotel. I apologize you were not able to order your pancakes at 11:30 in the morning. Despite our breakfast hours being over at 9am, we should have completed your request without delay. I have spoken to the restaurant team to ensure that does not happen again. Our shuttle service is on a first come basis and for you to be turned away is unacceptable, please accept my personal apology. We have used your feedback as a training tool on customer service 101. My team is always willing to help in anyway possible and I am very surprised that you had this sub par experience. Again, please accept my sincere apology and we look for to seeing you again.

Warmest Regards,
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've stayed at the Norcross Marriott on business travel twice before and raved about it last year. While it is still a perfectly acceptable place to stay, the WoW factor is not there anymore. This trip was several days, and the bed was comfortable and the shower hot. The housekeeping staff was VERY late in the day getting the rooms made. A couple of times I was working in my room in the afternoon and it was distracting to be in an unmade room and to hear hallway activity while I was on conference calls. The restaurant has scaled back it's menu considerably, and a favorite dish is no longer offered. There is a breakfast buffet that has a nice choice of offerings for under $15. Since I'm a coffee on the go person, I did not take advantage of this. Most of the hotel staff are friendly enough, surprisingly the maintenance man was consistently cheerful and made a point of speaking to guests without being overbearing. If you are able to take advantage of lower room rates through an online service, then this hotel is very much worth the bang for the buck. If you are paying rack prices though, there are some very attractive hotels within a few miles that will give you a great room, shower and complimentary breakfast for a whole lot less.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd level or higher. The 2nd floor is a mezzanine overlooking the lobby and t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip and really enjoyed the stay. A typical Marriott with great customer service, comfortable beds and a clean environment.

I do wish they had breakfast included, but understand that is not Marriott, but one of the other of their brands.

I would highly recommend this location if you are in the area, or even do not mind a drive as the price was fantastic. There are a number of restaurants within a 2 minute drive that give a variety of different cuisines and styles.

I would definately stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business