“Wonderful way to visit Callaway Gardens”

The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We love Callaway Gardens and have visited at least 40 times, but this was our first stay at the Lodge and Spa. Rooms and baths are extravagantly spacious. The spa is all you could hope for. Breakfast (3 egg shrimp omelet) was perfect. Only complaint was the way they make the bed. I know. Silly thing to fret about when all of these other items are so well done. About a third of the duvet is tucked in at the bottom of the bed making it impossible to pull it up to your chin without unmaking the bed. The "made" bed is beautiful, but unless they have changed their style, you have to fix it before bedtime.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear MWilliams14,

It was a pleasure learning of your wonderful stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We are delighted you enjoyed yourselves. It seems like our guests love the four fixture bathrooms and total sqaure footage of our rooms. Did you have a chance to sit out on the balcony? Also, thank you for your kind comments about our chef-manned omlete bar in the mornings. Please come and see us again in the future and we look forward to your arrival.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

the rooms are big. the bathrooms have a tub and shower. it is a short walk to the callaway gardens beach and activities. if you are just going to the beach and activities there, you don't need to pay the Callaway Gardens entry fee. This is now a Marriot property. The seafood buffet on Friday is good and fairly priced.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear redsticktraveler,

It was a pleasure learning your enjoyment with us during your recent stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. Thank you for your business and feedback. Children definitely do enjoy our outdoor pool as well as the quick walking access into Callaway Gardens and Robins Lake Beach. We are also very pleased you utilized and enjoyed our famous Friday Night Seafood Buffet. I am a sucker for the crab legs myself.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

First of all the Lodge is luxury in accommodations and nestled away in the wood of Callaway Gardens. Food and Beverage offerings at the hotel are good (breakfast, poolside grill, room service). We also ate at "The Gardens" on Callaway property and it was good as well. All the staff (front desk, bell staff, food and housekeeping) were very friendly and accommodating. The pool side service was good and given the number of people utilizing the pool, I can't believe they were able to keep up. We were with a group of 6 people and never waited for anything. As people left the pool area, they quickly cleaned up and replaced the fresh towels and menu's on the chairs.

The Spa located inside the Lodge is absolutely first class. I had a facial and hot stone massage. The facial was the best I've ever had and the massage ranks in my top 2. Atmosphere and facilities were very good! I would love to come back with the kids. There is much to do on the Callaway property. Zip line, butterflies, even a circus!

My husband did go on the zip line / obstacle course. This is not just zip line. You also have to be 54" tall to participate. It was fun, but he was sore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the property. Built water feature and pool are on the back. Ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Farrahtravels

Dear Farrahtravel,

Thank you kindly for your recent stay and feedback about The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. We very much appreciate your feedback and business. Spending time at our pool and Cabana Bar & Grill has to be one of the aspects of the resort our guests enjoy most. We are very pleased you enjoyed yourself and the service that was provided. Also, please tell your husband "Congrats" on finishing the TreeTop Adventure. I too was sore afterwards! What fun though! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I visited the hotel and Callaway Gardens for just one night. The hotel was clearly the nicest in the area, which we were pleased about, but the hotel itself is way overdue for an update. The staff was very pleasant, and overall things were fine.
Walking throughout the grounds, the decor and furniture were clearly dated and worn. The pool was small and disappointing compared to pictures.
The spa was nice and professional, but just like the hotel, it seemed a bit overpriced and overvalued compared to other higher end hotels and spas I have stayed in, usually in much more desirable locations.
Restaurant and room service staff were again very nice, but the staff was not very knowledgeable regarding the menu (Did not know what a carafe of water was, nor what type of hot tea they had available, and was able to provide honey after she told me it was available.
None of this ruined my experience, but with an average hotel at $220 per night and $500 for only 1 1/2 hours of one spa treatments each for two, and the gardens albeit beautiful, were just not worth it.

Glad I have seen it and won't be back!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaLaAtl

Dear LaLaAtl,

Thank you very much for your feedback as well as your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped you would. Your feedback is very valuable to us and I will be sure to communicate this onward and upward. We hope you enjoyed your spa treatments with us as Spa Prunifolia was just ranked in the Top 10 Organic Spa's in the country. Many of our guests come spefiically for the spa.

We do hope to see you again in the future while visiting Callaway Gardens and thank you again for your time and business.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 days and 2 nights for a romantic weekend getaway here at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens. The Lodge and Spa is really the only luxury accommodations around Callaway Gardens. We once stayed in the Callaway Gardens Mountain Creek Inn and that felt like a 1950's motel. NOT somewhere I'd stay again. The Lodge and Spa is a very nice upgrade to the Mountain Creek Inn.

First, it's a little hard to find, neither of our smart phones could find it, so we followed the directions to Callaway gardens, and then followed the signs. For the most part, it worked.

The Room:
We were supposed to have a King Mountain view room, but we ended up w/ a room w/ 2 queens overlooking some trees. It was fine, just not what we expected. The beds were super comfortable, and the room was super dark allowing us the luxury of actually sleeping in, something we don't get to do very often at home! The bathroom was my favorite part of our room, nice large walk in shower w/ frame-less glass door and a separate soaking tub. I was a little disappointed there was this awesome tub, and no bubble bath provided, but oh well. The setting of the lodge is very nice and secluded and quiet in the trees, and the lodge has lovely rustic architecture, bonus points for being a LEED certified building (this from a LEED accredited professional).

I'm not sure what they use to wash the towels, but they were small and very stiff, not the soft towels you expect at a posh hotel.

Spa:
We had a couples side by side facials and a couples deep tissue massage. The spa at the Lodge and spa is lovely, and the staff is excellent. Their prices are a little on the pricey side, even for such a nice spa, but I guess they have a captive audience and can charge what they want cuz you are in the middle of no where. Overall we were both very satisfied with the services of the spa.

Pool:
I thought the pool, while nice, was really small for a hotel of this size. But I suppose they expect the majority of their guests to spend their time at Callaway Gardens and Robin lake beach and not the pool. It was not crowded, although it was a bit off season and the hotel did not seem full. Pool side service was a little slow, friendly, but slow.

Food:
The food was decent, sometimes good, but for the only high end dining in the area, I was a little disappointed. The Piedmont room seemed understaffed, especially at dinner. I don't know if it was because most of the staff were attending a reception outside and a birthday party in the back room, but Glenda was covering way too many tables in the dining room and couldn't keep up. I put no fault on Glenda, she was lovely and as attentive as she could be, but she just couldn't keep up with the number of tables and I felt bad for her. I think it took 20 minutes to get water. Dinner started and ended well, but the main course was disappointing. We got the she-crab soup which was lovely to start, and finished off with the red velvet cheesecake, which was divine. We both got the prime rib for dinner, and it was disappointing in that it was overcooked. It was a lovely cut of meat, and seasoned well, but I ordered medium rare, and the hubby ordered rare, and mine came out medium and hubby's was medium-well gray, to the point of where we contemplated sending it back. It was just a shame, because it could have been a lovely meal, but execution was lacking on the meat (which should have been the star).

Breakfast buffet at 14.50 pp was fine, loved the fresh fruit every morning.

We had another service hiccup on the room service (which we ordered twice). I ordered a salad, and was told it would be 20-25 minutes. After 50 minutes and no salad I called, and they "checked on it" and our salad arrived 10 minutes later. It seemed our salad order got lost somewhere in the process. But I'm glad we waited for it, because the flat iron wedge salad may have been my favorite thing I ate at the Lodge and Spa (okay, it maybe tied w/ the red velvet cheesecake).

The bellman at the front who opened the door and helped us load our luggage was so sweet and friendly.

I loved our stay here, and would return as it's a lovely get away for a long weekend. If they didn't have those few hiccups, they would be a five star property!

Room Tip: I think the rooms overlooking the courtyard would be a better view than the "mountain" vie...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ATLWanderLust

Dear ATLWanderLust,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent romantic getaway with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. Thank you very much for your feedback as well as your business. You surely utilized all we had to offer and pointed out some of our guests favorite parts of our resort including our guestrooms with four fixture bathrooms as well as our award winning spa. Please know that your feedback will be communicated with our team to ensure we stay on top of improvement and make sure everyone is aware of each guest experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

As a Marriott elite member we were treated great with an upgraded 4th floor room with view of the pool and trees. Additionally, these tossed in breakfast coupons to be used in the restaurant. The lodge has a very feng shui atmosphere starting with the landscaping, music, decorating motif and water elements. The restuarant had very good food though fairly expensive. They could use a cafe type restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear wildmangolfer,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. You were very kind to take the time to offer us feedback. We get many comments on the grounds here at our beautiful resort and are very happy you were able to enjoy the view. Also, I will be sure to tell our Executive Chef your comments on our food and beverage. Have a wonderful day and we look forward to having you back to our resort.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We just completed a short 3-day trip to The Lodge - co-located on the property of Callaway Gardens. What a great get-away for our family of five! Want to know why? Here's my list:

1. The Front Desk and Bell Staff at the Hotel were very helpful, enthusiastic and accommodating. They answered all of our questions, went the distance in creating a fun-filled experience, and even gave us passes to Callaway Gardens (helping us avoid a Memorial Day Weekend entry fee of $25/day). They rocked!

2. The Hotel facility is lovely - set amidst trees, water fountains, and small rock formations. It's located near the Callaway Gardens "beach".

3. The rooms were quite nice. While we were upgraded due to my Marriott status, I peaked into a regular room and it was more than adequate. Each room has a balcony. If possible, request one overlooking the pool area. Yes, the balconies are next to one another, so privacy is not possible while hanging out. This didn't seem to pose a problem for us, or anyone else who wanted to just relax outside.

4. The pool and 2 hot tubs were well-maintained and set amidst the trees. There is a Grill co-located with them which wasn't open while we were there; however, seems like a great convenience to people who want to lounge by the pool for an extended period of time.

5. The restaurant was pretty good. The brunch was plentiful as were the offerings on the menu. We ate there during the Friday night Seafood Buffet. Only one of us wanted the Buffet while the rest of us at the cedar-planked salmon (yum yum) and the free range chicken (good - not great). The wine list was very extensive.

6. Being near Callaway Gardens AND staying at a first-rate hotel was a treat. We biked for 10 - 15 miles in the AM, went to the beach to relax and watch the Master's Water Ski Show, headed into Warm Springs to see FDR's Little White House, hung-out by the pool, AND then returned to the peace and serenity of this Hotel.
Also, there is a full-service Spa, if desired. Prices were a bit steep - but, in line with most high-end Spas. And the Workout facility contains decent equipment that works, and offers enough variety for most guests.

Nit-picky Comments? Just a few (and they are minor):

1. Wish the Hotel had Pay-Per-View movies. We were tired in the evening and wanted to watch a movie with the family. This option is not provided on the televisions.

2. Would have liked one more restaurant option on site i.e. a casual coffee shop or a snack bar. I suppose that once the Grill opens by the pool, that this is another option. It would have been nice to have another place to dine without having to leave the hotel property.

3. Restaurant staff is slow. Might not be important to people on vacation. We noticed that there were plenty of servers in the restaurant - except they were often hard to find in the dining room - seemed to disappear quite often. Once located, they were always eager to help.

We're already talking about making a return trip to this Hotel. There are still many things that we want to see and do - besides just a quick R&R weekend at this property.

And, it was great to get Marriott points, too.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the pool - quite lovely (although might be noisier during peak season).
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank georgiadenverite
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear georgiadenverite,

It was truly a pleasure reading your review and thank you for your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We greatly appreciate your business and kind comments on our beautiful resort. Like you have stated, our guests greatly enjoy the rooms with balconies and four fixture bathrooms, as well as our natural grounds and outdoor space. Being able to use and receive Marriott Rewards Points is also a plus now that we are associated with the Autograph Collection.

Thank you for your time and business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
Valley Inn Resort
#4 of 5 in Pine Mountain
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!