“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Brighton, Michigan
“Great stay”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here two nights for a meeting. I enjoyed the stay, and would certainly recommend staying here if in the area!

The lodge seems to be fairly secluded, but in a wonderful wooded setting. The staff was excellent and very friendly upon check-in. Although looking small from the outside, the lodge area is actually pretty big, with long hallways set at angles.

The rooms themselves were very large. The beds were some of the more comfortable I've slept in at a hotel, and the pillows were wonderful. There was ample desk and seating space, and the bathrooms were HUGE, with a toilet, deep bath tup, and sizeable glass-enclosed shower. There was a nice-size balcony; my overlooked the wooded area. All rooms appear to have a balcony.

The meeting/conference facilities were also very nice, spacious, and the food provided decent.

I did have some room issues after check-in; there was a very noticeable and persistent sewer smell, and a thremostat that was not working. Building staff responded very quickly, though, and provided me with another room (same size, etc.) immediately, and assisted me in moving my luggage. I understand that things go wrong in hotel rooms, and in my mind it's all about how building staff respond; in this case, the response was quick and excellent!

My only two "knocks" from 5 to 4 stars are minor in nature; one is the realtive isolation fo the lodge. This is certainly a lodge and conference facility, so all needs can really be taken care of on site; however, it is not easy (or even possible) to walk to other areas of the property, or to neighboring Pine Mountain. There were also some stains on the window curtains, lamp shades, and top blanket, but nothing out of the ordinary other than due to normal use of the facility.

I did not take part and enjoy any of the other amenities of the property (such as pool, golf, beach, gardens, etc.), but from a quick drive around the site, they all looked inviting.

Although it is likely I won't end up in this area again, if so, I would certainly not hesitate to stay at Callaway Gardens again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Matt S,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay for business at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We very much appreciate your business and time taken to offer us feedback. Thank you very much for your response on the friendliness and responsiveness of our staff. We pride ourselves on top notch service. Also, thank you for bringing to my attention some of the opportunities you experienced with our beautiful guestrooms and we will immediately look into it. Have a wonderful day sir and we hope to see you back in Pine Mountain at Callaway Gardens soon.

Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We're on our way home from our second weekend at the Lodge. If you enjoy a secluded (as in - it's literally out in the woods!) and very low-key nice hotel, this is the place for you! Decor is a bit rustic, but nothing is old or worn out. It's a nice get-away place - not roughing it.

One type of reservation currently includes admission to Callaway Gardens, which has lots of strolling/biking areas. We went to Mr Cason's Garden area which is where a TV gardening show is filmed...I told you it's a low-key resort area!

All rooms have a balcony - some overlook the woods and others face the courtyard & pool area, which is the view we enjoy - we like 4th floor, room 8414. We do evening room service and have enjoyed both green salads, ahi tuna entree, and spinach/garlic ravioli. All staff are friendly and helpful.

My only complaint is that alcohol prices seem over the top there - $6.75 plus tip for a poolside beer seems high. This trip, we took our own beer and wine - all rooms have a fridge. It worked great because we were using room service.

• Stayed September 2012
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Time4Dinner,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your feedback and business. We are delighted you enjoyed room service. It is such an amazing thing isnt it? The mini-fridge in the room does help assist in a relaxing weekend as well. The Vegetable Garden is a personal favorite of mine and many travelers to Callaway love gardening, so it works. Thank you again for your time. We look forward to your next stay! And don't forget, our pool is heated for a nice winter dip!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

The Lodge had curb appeal and it was a beautiful place to arrive. The room was nice and bathroom spacious. We spent a nice afternoon at the lovely pool. It was upscale and the bar attendant took good care of everyone. I ordered a blackberry mojito but was disappointed that it did not taste like fresh fruit. I expected it to be better for the price. Overall, enjoyed chatting with the bartender and relaxing. The front desk service was not up to par. The associates were very friendly but not knowledgeable. For instance, we were there for a special Balloon Glow event. I asked the front desk for advice regarding when we should arrive at the beach for the event. They answered "Anytime you want" which did not help me at all. One desk attendant told me I had a free vehicle pass to the gardens, while another told me I did not. The pool attendent recommended a pizza place on the grounds but the front desk told us it was closed for the season (we were there Labor Day wknd). Very strange service and definitely not top notch expertise. Personally, it was not worth the $200 paid for one night but I would not dissuade others from trying it out.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear KimAtlanta,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and your feedback. I am very sorry to hear your mojito was not up to par and that you received some confusing information from our staff. I understand how this can be frustrating. This kind of feedback assists us in improving and I hope the rest of your time with us was enjoyable. Thank you very much for your time and we look forward to you giving us another try in the future!

Forsyth, Georgia
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have just returned from another Labor Day trip to the Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. This time, we stayed in the Cardinal Suite which was very spacious, well furnished, and clean. As always, the staff at the lodge was friendly and courteous. We always enjoy going to Callaway over long weekends, as it is a short drive, and there are numerous things to do while there.

Room Tip: We always enjoy the suites at the lodge.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jay G
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Dear Jay G,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our Cardinal Suite. It truly does offer a spacious area to relax and get room service during your stay. How about the private patio outdoor area? I hope you were able to enjoy that as well. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back soon.

Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Nestled in a serene wooded setting, the Lodge is inconspicuous but inviting. From the time you are greeted at the door with a warm welcome, till the time you are wished a fond farewell, the lodge offers a very relaxing atmosphere. Each room is well appointed with a small balcony overlooking either a rock waterfall feature and gardens or a wooded area. Room baths also include a separate shower and large deep tub. The restaurant is comfortable, friendly, tasty, and the servers pay close attention to your needs. There are many conference rooms available in the lodge, as well.

With Callaway Gardens adjacent to the lodge, this destination is great for either a relaxing get-away or an extended vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daisies33
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Daisies33,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Your business and feedback is very much appreciated. We truly love the separate shower/bathtub configuration in our rooms and are happy you enjoyed them! Also, thank you for such a great picture of our grounds and fountain. It really shows what the arrival experience is at the resort! I will be sure to pass on your positive feedback on our restaurant to the Chef and Food and Beverage Director as they will enjoy what you have had to say. Thank you for your time and business Daisies33, we greatly appreciate it.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We just returned from a fantastic one-night stay. Everything about this property is excellent. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. The rooms , especially the huge bathroom, are clean and nice. The staff everywhere, from the front desk to the gift shop to the restaurant, was friendly and helpful. We loved the restaurant and lounge. Everything was just perfect for a relaxing weekend getaway!

Our favorite part of the resort was the pool, which is a little small but very pretty. We loved the cabana bar and service. The only negative here was that there's no lifeguard, no one really in charge at the pool area to keep order. There were lots of unruly (and even unsupervised) kids who basically took over the pool for a few hours with their rough housing. They showed no respect to anyone else trying to enjoy themselves either in or out of the pool. I was pretty annoyed by that. Probably more of a parent problem than a hotel problem, but the pool situation did make the resort seem a little less upscale at times.

Overall, though, I truly enjoyed my stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear vania08,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our beautiful four fixture bathrooms as well as spending some down time at the Ironwood Lounge. I hope you were able to try our famous Pimento Cheese Fritters!

Thank you very much for bringing to our attention that some children at the pool were causing problems. This will be communicated throughout the hotel so proactive action can be taken to ensure this does not happen again. We hope to see you this fall and winter for a possible spa getaway?

Reviewed 31 July 2012

So much potential, yet so much work needed, both with the upkeep of the property and the training of (some) of the staff. The hotel and spa both are beautiful. The pool is a salt water pool, which gets some shade throughout the day. The rooms are very nice as well. However, the rooms show a lot of wear and tear for a property that hasn't been open all that long. The furniture is scratched and peeling (the laminate, I suppose). The walls in our room had scuff marks. The ceiling above our bed had black marks, which I assumed were dead bugs that had been killed but I didn't investigate closely. There was a dead roach in the floor of our closet. (At least it was dead!) What surprised me perhaps the most about the condition was the sheets. For a resort, these were not high quality linens. In fact, I think I bought the same set for about $50 a few years ago. They are white, but have black marks and stains on them. Every sheet on both beds had holes in them as well.

The perks to the room were a feather topper on the bed, which made it very comfortable, the quietness, the bathrooms, and the Keurig machine (in the King rooms - or maybe just not mine which was two queens).

I was not impressed at all with the staff at the front desk. We had a few interactions with one lady in particular that was not quite so friendly. I heard her on the phone as well with someone giving directions, and I thought she was borderline rude. When we called because there were no towels at the pool (on a Monday and we never did get them after three hours there), her response was that they had been busy. Wow...I'd get in huge trouble at my job if I blew off a customer because I was busy.

The spa and the staff there were wonderful. We enjoyed both immensely and had nothing but positive experiences there.

I think with a little elbow grease, new sheets, and some training with the front desk staff member, this could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BethNJ
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Beth NJ,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We greatly appreciate your business and time on leaving us a review. Please accept my apology for any opportunities you encountered during your stay with us. As we continuely make great efforts to improve our services and product, your feedback in valuable and will be communicated accordingly. As always, I am very pleased you enjoyed our award winning Spa Prunifolia. Also, one of our guest favorites are the four fixture bathrooms in our guest rooms. And nothing like a fresh cup of coffee in your room before you begin your daily adventure into Callaway Gardens. Thank you again for choosing us and offering valuable feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!