“Southern Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
“Southern Hospitality”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We had the privilege of staying at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia on December 5, 2012. The Marriot group has certainly done a superb job with this hotel. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. It is definitely worth the stay.

Room Tip: Just enjoy the view and the surroundings!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron P
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Ron P,

First and foremost, Happy Holidays! Secondly, it was a pleasure to hear about your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and your feedback. We are very proud of our Autograph Collection by Marriott affiliation and glad you mentioned. The great part is that guests enjoy Rewards Points while staying at a hotel that is very unique and different from the Marriott's they are used to. I will surely pass your kind comments to the staff since they work very hard to ensure our guests are taken care of. Thank you again and we hope to see you back in the spring.

Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Lawrenceville
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We decided to have a get away weekend with some friends of ours using Marriott points. We chose The Lodge & Spa because it was half way between our two locations. We are glad we chose this hotel.

The staff was very friendly. From the check in to the restaurant & bar staff everyone treated you like a friend. The rooms were decorated very nicely with a lot of amenities in each room. We had 2 breakfasts in the restaurant & dinner in the bar/restaurant. the food was very good in all 3 instances. The bar prices for drinks are reasonable as well.

I would highly recommend the hotel for couples or families.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elian1
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear elian1,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and feedback. We are so pleased you were able to enjoy the culinary delights of Executive Chef Dan. During your next visit, do not miss a treatment in our Spa Prunifolia. We look forward to you returning and thank you again for your support. I will be sure to thank the staff for their friendly service standards.

Indiana
Reviewed 28 November 2012

After making our reservations I talked to manager Evonne and mentioned it was our 40'th anniversary. She upgraded us to a great suite along with a bottle of wine and truffles. By the way, this was on a point stay so the resort wasn't making the income they normally would.

We ate at the restaurant one night and the food was great and the menu had lots of choices. The waitress said if we ate there again our desert would be comped, but we never made it back.

We did check out a day sooner than we had reservations for and Evonne was gracious enough to call Marriott Rewards to see if we could be refunded some of our points.

While there we visited the Festival of Lights which is really worth going to see.

Now that I read that the pool is saltwater I wish we would have tried it even though the weather was a little cold.

This really is a great place with great staff.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear Mike3412,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We greatly appreciate your time and feedback. It sounds like you had a delightful stay! Our staff always likes recognizing special occasions. You are right in speaking about our Piedmont Grille! We pride ourselves on a very flavorful menu and are really happy you were able to dine with us. I did not see any comments about Spa Prunifolia though. Maybe on your next visit you can enjoy our award winning Spa! Thank you again and we hope to see you soon. Happy Holidays!

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We were worried that going to Callaway Gardens in late November might not be that great but had a wonderful time. The Lodge and Spa was beautiful even on a cloudy, cold November day. Every staff person we met was friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied. Arrived too tired to eat anywhere but the on site restaurant and had a good experience there. I'm a vegetarian so was pleased to see an option other than a salad. Had a spinach and mushroom rigatoni that was excellent. The price was reasonable for this sort of place. Our room rate was also very reasonable and included our admission into the Garden which was a nice extra. Too cold to use the pool but plan to return in the summer.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear kydjj,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you very much for your business and feedback. We pride ourselves on being a vegetarian and gluten-free friendly hotel in Georgia and thank you for noticing! Even if you do come back during the winter time, do not forget that our pool and two whirlpools are open year round and are heated and salt water. The salt water is part of our LEED Certification by the US Green Building Council. Thank you again for such kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Maybe you are among the lucky few to have always booked perfect weekend getaways without a hitch? IF SO; READ NO FURTHER!
But if you are one of the 99%ers who have experienced the occasional hitch, glitch, SNAFU or even a FUBAR: You might be interested in what I have to say.
SHORT VERSION: Exceeded my wildest expectations.
DEFINITION OF WILDEST EXPECTATIONS: ( Read on. I will try to do justice to the courtesy, service and above all, the kind attention not only to detail--but to especially--the Kindness.)
WE ALL HAVE OUR REASONS WHY WE SOMETIMES ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GETAWAY: To help put things in context, it wasn't just about my turning 60 (Make that 50 with 10 years experience!) Actually, considering 2 years ago I was diagnosed with ALS--told I might be on a ventilator in 3 months but it would be a wait and see type thing--well, I happy to report it appears I have the 'slow type' of Lou Gehrig's, so like.... I truly have good reason to celebrate! And it wasn't just about my wife wanting to plan something special...by saving...and saving...to surprise me with a trip; but, not too far away from 'short notice bedside attendance' of her 84 year old father, recently hospitalized way up in Somewhere-Really-Cold, Alberta, Canada; OR, a bittersweet and potential dilema--a possible cruel flip of the coin--need to choose between attending her father (should he take a turn for the worse); OR, attend the birth of her/our first grandchild, Miss Hadley Caroline, due to make her appearance--and soon,...like tomorrow--in Nashville, Tennessee--and fortunately, not too far from "The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens", and/or our home in Knoxville.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
We almost cancelled our weekend getaway.
But then, as grateful as we are about everything, I'd be less than honest if I did not admit the past two years has been...let's say "challenging".
The Real Truth is: we needed time together; time alone; time to rest and recharge our batteries; time to remember why we fell in love almost 39 years ago and got married at 21.
(Still can't believe I am 60!)
So, what was the problem??
THE PROBLEM:
Well, let me first quote the cliche "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Because...(you know the rest.) It's true. I believe it.
But sometimes it does not feel that way.
Especially to your best friend-lover-wife-mother-and soon to be grandmother saving her money from working part-time as a GI nurse to honor me with a special trip and you drive 5 hours with Marriott expectations unload your bags finally get to your assigned Room With The View--and, well,...I am not going to sugarcoat it--the room was not just dirty but disgusting dirty and we just aren't the type who complain or for that matter like to complain. I guess I've had so many symtoms and signs, tests and more tests I suppose I could be whining and complaining all the time. But who likes a whiner? Who wants to live with a complainer? And Don't Sweat the Small Stuff! Remember?
I do not like to whine. I do not like to complain.
For my own health issues, I like to frequently employ humor; which I confess my poor wife does not always find particularly funny...nor anyone else for that matter...but self effacing humor has been one of my truer friends the past couple of years (and I hope some of you understand or are willing to apply 'the principle of charity' and place the best spin or interpretation on thoughts and feelings I am trying to express. The only reason I am going to this effort is that it is the least I can do for the effort the folks at THE LODGE AND SPA went for Cindy and me.) SO, I WASN'T EXACTLY THRILLED WHEN I HAD TO 'lodge' A COMPLAINT AT THE LODGE:
I asked to speak with The Manager.
NOW LET ME JUST SAY AT THIS POINT EVERYONE COULD NOT HAVE BEEN NICER OR SWEETER and when they found out it was my birthday Christina had a box of chocolates and a birthday card delivered to our "room" before we arrived.
But our short lived joy was deflated as fast as the Tennessee Volunteer Football Team under beleagur'd but still 'the boy you hope will marry your daughter' Coach Derrick Dooley and Co., can find a way to lose to an SEC team---any SEC team.
To carry the analogy a bit further: If the team is winning, you can overlook 1 or 2 things wrong. But when 1 or 2 is a big thing, and you see there are 3 and 4 more things wrong...there is a point you can't put your head in the sand and hope it will all just magically 'go away'.

But MAGIC! That is exactly what "The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens" sells: MAGIC!
And I'm not talking the DollyWood-Six Flags-Disney World techno-glitz hype. Hype so refined that us poor parents are led to believe if we don't take little honey boo-boo and Junior to a place like Disney World during the "formidable years"...well Honey...Bless Their Little Hearts...you parents are not just letting them down...you are letting Mickey Mouse, The Economy and The American Way--down.
The "Magic" I am talking about (and witnessed first hand) is the magic of young parents with their children, even babies chasing not only butterflies, but dreams that can only be born within the cocoon of Mother Nature--not just Thoreau's Utopian vision, but a vision we all share of an environment that will always be there to nurture.
Throwing pine cones and chasing leaves falling thick like big snowflakes in winter doesn't cost a penny. Might not be a bad idea if places like Callaway Gardens and other little slices of nature-made, heaven on earth required all "smart"phones, iPads, iPods and iNtrusive techno-gadgets get checked in at the entrance gate.
THE MANAGER-ON-CALL checks in daily to troubleshoot and I had the dubious honor of being the troublesome customer of the day...or so I thought...until one of the executive managers, Mr. Dave Peterson, listened intently to my complaint about the most un-Marriott state of our room AND MADE THINGS RIGHT.
Dave reassured me he'd make sure our new room was cleaned up to the standards they expect--the same standards he would expect for his wife and family as I would expect for my wife, and guests would expect for their families.
WE NOT ONLY RETURNED TO A MARRIOTT IMMACULATELY CLEAN ROOM, BUT A COMPLIMENTARY BOTTLE OF WINE, and a truly excellent cheese and fruit plate.
And, our dinner that night was compliments of the management and staff whom all thru the day and during our stay have been as nice (nicer in some cases) than members of my own family and circle of close friends! I mean that sincerely. Not just typical, polite Southern charm or hospitality nice. But brother nice. Sister nice. Good friend nice.
And if that wasn't enough, at the end of a superb meal--a surprise birthday plate of a trio of cakes and candles, presented by Robin, dining room manager, with and on behalf of The Staff at "The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens". (And I am not embarrassed or too old too admit--I felt 'special' and I was very much touched by the extra effort they collectively went to on our behalf. Maybe it just hit me how lucky I was to have made it to 60.)
Later we learned that Dave, the executive manager, did not have to but stayed all day to make sure all details of repairing our initial negative impression of the original room, had been erased by an identical but properly cleaned room. Dave made sure everything was not only to our satisfaction, but specifically to my wife's--my benefactor for the weekend; but also to his professional standards.
WE HAD A GREAT TIME!
AND AS OF THIS WRITING AND MOMENT:
Cindy's father appears to be out of danger.
I forgot to mention my 11 year old Lab on 'hospice' type care was glad to see me back.
And, clearly, Miss Hadley Caroline has a mind of her own and is revising her due date to suit her own personal schedule. (Making a statement early...I like that!)
AND AS IF TO ADD AN EXCLAMATION MARK UPON DEPARTURE: The General Manager, actually out front, assisting the front desk, Ms. Evonne Malmgren, assisted us with our bags to the car, only later to return when she learned that we were 'the couple' who had experienced a problem.
Dave, she added, is just that kind of person who is willing to go beyond the call of duty (I'm paraphrasing here, not quoting.)
MY CONCLUSION: DAVE IS A SPECIAL PERSON AMONG A FAMILY OF SPECIAL PEOPLE.

Thank you and y'all, at THE LODGE.
I'm not sure which butterfly did it; or which happy face of a child we saw and imagined might be like a future happy face of a grandchild of ours....
We can only hope and dream I guess, and with God's grace.

CALLAWAY GARDENS is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, especially during the autumn palate of colors--to hope and dream.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND CALLAWAY GARDENS NOT ONLY FOR BUTTERFLIES AND CHILDREN, BUT MOMS AND DADS, FRIENDS AND LOVERS, AND JUST ABOUT ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO REDISCOVER THEIR HEARTS.
p.s. It was empowering to turn off the cell phones, lap tops and just tune in to each other without distraction.

Room Tip: The Ritz Carleton in Atlanta has a better breakfast buffett--but I preferred the relaxed and unprete...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rand W
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dr. Willis,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and taking the time to offer your feedback. We are elated you enjoyed your stay and thank you for allowing us to make sure all went well. We look forward to having you back for another special occasion soon! Thank you again for your business sir.

Byron, GA
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is our second year to stay at Callaway Spa and Lodge in November with the GFIA group. Perfect room both stays right overlooking the fountain. Nice to be near the elevator as there is a mobility issue. They were very attentive to be sure we had that need met. All staff were friendly and prompt with our every request or need. The nice Gentleman Valet who lives in Manchester, GA was ALWAYS so nice to us. We had room service on Nov. 10 for dinner and unfotunately the soups arrived cold. But the sandwich and fries were perfect. They kindly removed the charge for the soups when we told the front desk about it. That is the only thing we can say that was not perfect with the food and our stay. Callaway has a lot to offer for a night or weekend stay. We ae already plaaning next years trip.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice. If you enjoy hearing a fountain, the rooms on the terrace side are nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear jwarren02,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you very much for your loyalty and for taking the time to offer your feedback. Please accept my apology for the soup coming out cold. I am pleased your experience at the front desk getting the soup taking off the bill happened. The fountain is really something special isn't it? Many of our guests enjoy the background sound to assist with a good night's sleep. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Watkinsville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Had a quick visit with my sister. The lodge was very nice. Everything smelled "spa-ee". Although I would prefer a more spacious room, it was nice all the same and the little terrace was very cute in the trees overlooking a fountain and outdoor seating area. It was quiet and nice. The breakfast service/restaurant was yummy and beautiful. Wish I could've visited the spa as planned but I fell ill. I heard it was awesome! I'll definitely return and look forward to it. Also, went off resort to Aspen Grille for dinner. Perfectly awesome, home-grilled-like steak in relaxed atmosphere. Yum!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear littlemissawol,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and feedback. I am so sorry you were feeling under the weather while you were here but we greatly appreciate your kind comments. Prior to your return, be sure to make your appointments at Spa Prunifolia in advance to ensure you get the times you would like. Also, your description of us being "welcomingly quiet" truly exemplifies our resort. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!