“Run down, rooms are like caves”
Review of Callaway Gardens

Callaway Gardens
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Tennessee
“Run down, rooms are like caves”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This entire property is very old and it shows. Rooms are tiny and bathrooms are a joke. You cannot go into the bathroom and close the door because it's so small. Low ceilings and very dim lighting are depressing. We had no washcloths or disposable cups in our room the first day, but finally got what we needed the second day. Apparently they try to make up for everything else that is lacking at this property with pillows - each bed gets four sleeping pillows plus one for decoration. Some in our group said their rooms had dirty linens and bedding. One lady refused to shower in the bathroom. I found live ants and gnats in the bathroom and adjacent area.

The staff is very pleasant and tries to address specific issues, but they can't change the overall age and condition of the place. The best thing about staying here is its close proximity to the gardens and the breakfast buffet. Other meals were less pleasant. I would not recommend this property and would never stay here again. I believe it needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mtn_Traveler4
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to leave your feedback regarding your recent trip to our resort. Guest feedback whether it is positive or constructive is the tool by which we do much of our celebrations and coaching with our team members. You are correct that we have a historic property but we strongly believe that if you are here for the Gardens that your room should just be for comfort, showing, and sleeping and we do not promote to have the best rooms nor did we renovate and spend $2.5 million to do so. Based on your feedback it really sounds like we need to do a better job of meeting the basic guest standards of consistency in cleanliness and product. Again I am very sorry for your experience and can guarantee you that we will address the actionable items you mentioned to ensure that we can provide a better experience for our future guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
East Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Rooms have been remodeled, but look like state park accommodations, not resort level. No info on TV system in room or check in. Called front desk and after 40 rings clerk said he was too busy to explain it. Best amenity was free entry into gardens. No info given about property except restaurant at check in. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Moopie05
Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback regarding your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your standards or from what it sounds ours for what our guests deserve when they come to Callaway. I can assure you that we do have a channel on our TV’s and a flyer called “Whats happening at Callaway” that is solely dedicated to providing our guests information about the Resort. However it does sound like we need to do some retraining about providing our guests more information and for that I apologize and guarantee this will be addressed immediately.

Again thank you for your feedback because we will take this and work harder to provide our guests with a much better experience.
Summerville, Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We got a package that included breakfast and 2 hour bike rental. The place (Mtn Creek Inn) looks old on the outside but the inside and rooms are modern and clean. Comfortable beds and adequate pillows. The only complaint (and it was more of an annoyance than a problem) was that I couldn't get the room cooled off to my polar bear satisfaction. It would ALMOST get to the right level off cool but then the air would shut off for about 10 or 20 minutes. The units looked new but I think they were just basic models as you couldn't select the fan operation between 'auto' or 'on'. It didn't ruin my stay, just had to start out on top of the covers. (I like it cold.)

All of the staff were helpful and informative. The buffet breakfast in the Plant Room was well stocked and tasty. All of this along with the admission to the gardens on the day of arrival and departure made the package (1 night stay) well worth they money.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bozy106
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and our newly renovated Mountain Creek Inn rooms. We will message you separately to check on the room number. Choosing one of Callaway Gardens' four properties is a great value as it includes admission each day of stay and day of departure. We thank you for taking the time to post and hope that you will return soon.
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I said last time I stayed here I would not return but I did return so this is partly my own fault. Callaway bills itself as a World Class Resort . . . NOT. I booked very simply, a "courtyard view" room. We came in at about 1:00 to check in and get an entry to the Gardens. Which we did. Upon returning at 4:00 I finally was able to get my keys to our room, after a considerable wait as they had only one person working check-ins at the busiest time of day -- not a courtyard view. Upon asking for a courtyard view I was told there were not any clean to which they could assign me. It seems simple but this was for a very special birthday trip. Why wasn't a courtyard view room set aside when I checked in at 1:00? Also, why didn't they call my cell to tell me my room was available as they had said they would? This is truly the last time that I will choose any Callaway Gardens accommodation. I do love the gardens this time of year but will find another place to stay even if it costs me more. I had been assured the rooms had been up-dated -- not mine. The food - except for the Country Store for breakfast -- you can find better around the area but I haven't found any more expensive.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter because they aren't going to have what you ask for anyway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LakeLady8186
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We are very sorry to hear of your experience. We are immediately sharing your experience with our General Manager for the Resort.
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed the weekend at the mountain creek inn. Although the outside of the hotel looks really old, the rooms are clean and comfortable. I feel they should add mini refrigerators in every room without the extra $10 charge. Probably give guests an option to have a microwave for $10 since there are not too many restaurant options.
The flowers werent in bloom yet at the gardens but we enjoyed the bicycle ride, boat rental and the beach area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your input. We'll be sure to share with the General Manager of the Resort. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the room as we just finished a major redo of the Mountain Creek Inn and its lobby. We took it down to the bare walls and floors. We appreciate your taking the time to post. Azaleas are now at peak. We do hope you are able to visit again in the future.
rockford ,IL
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Mountain Creek Inn at the Callaway Gardens Resort has seen better days. It is a tired resort badly in need of an update. HOWEVER, it is clean and met our needs for comfort and location. That having been said, we had a sleepless night due to inconsiderate guests partying loudly outside of our patio view room. At midnight I called the desk and they promised to send security. I called twice after that. It was well after 2 am that the party stopped. In fairness, I believe that security did honor our request because the noise quieted for a few minutes after each visit. On the last phone call, we announced that we would not stay the second night as planned. The last straw was the very noisy plumbing that woke us up after only a few hours sleep. When we stumbled down in the morning to check out, they had deducted our second night. Amid profuse apologies, we were offered a deluxe accommodation for the next night. We accepted this offer and went about our plans to explore the beauty of Calloway Gardens. Thank you to management and to Brittany, the desk representative for your generous offer. While we would never stay at the Mountain Creek Inn again, we would consider other accommodations within the resort. If your room is far away from the patio, and you don't require state of the art amenities, you will have a good stay. The pool was great for lap swimmers! The breakfast buffet was huge.

Room Tip: Stay far away from patio.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the Mountain Creek Inn. I can assure you that our team works tirelessly to try and provide the best experience possible to our guests but we have failed you and again I am very sorry. I am glad that management was able to save the trip for you so that it was more enjoyable. We have recently renovated the Main Inn Lobby to included 3 additional check-in terminals to be able to expedite the process ensuring a much more smooth arrival experience.

Your feedback is valued and we do hope to see you again in the future.
Ferrum, Virginia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our stay at the Mountain Creek Inn was excellent. Every staff member we encountered was helpful and friendly. Everyone seemed happy in their job which makes for a very upbeat feeling around the Inn. Room was clean and comfortable. Thought was put into making everything in the room feel like home including toiletries without parabens. Breakfast buffet was fantastic, everything you could ever want. We ate dinner at the restaurant in the Inn and the food and atmosphere and service was top notch. Very relaxing, left feeling happy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you so much for your post. We are working very hard to create the experience that you have described. We hope that you will come back soon as every season provides a great reason to visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
#4 of 5 in Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus

Been to Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!