“Mountain Creek Inn”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Atlanta, Georgia
“Mountain Creek Inn”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We just did a 1 night weekend getaway at Mountain Creek Inn.
The Hotel is older but they did a good job with renovations.
The bed was white, clean and comfortable. The furnishings were new and worked well. We stayed in a Garden room overlooking the lawn and golf course.
Since our stay included free entry into the gardens the price was a bargain for a relaxing weekend. We only ate breakfast at the Hotel but it was very good and the staff were freindly, pleasant and kept our coffee cups filled.
There is a biking trail connecting the Hotel to the gardens that we used several times.
We will definitely keep this on our list for our other recuperative weekend getaways

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your post. We appreciate your feedback. We're glad that you had a relaxing weekend, and we look forward to having you for getaways in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've been going to Callaway Gardens since I was a young child. It is truly a place where I refuel myself and connect with nature and God. I've been during all the seasons of the year and have never been disappointed. I also always make sure I visit the Chapel everytime I'm there while an organ concert is going on also. I've stayed at the cottages, the Villas, the Mountain Creek Inn, and at The Lodge (a Mariott property there that is not actualy part of the Gardens.) My favorites are the Lodge if it is a couple's weekend and the Villas is we have extended family/ friends with us. In fact we stayed at the Lodge in August and then the Villas in October and again Easter weekend.

The Villas are clean, well stocked, and very comfortable. The furnishings vary from Villa to Villa as they are privately owned. Most seem like they were decorated 10-20 years ago, but are well maintained.

I encourage you to check out Callaway Gardens' website for activities and find some time to get away and enjoy the beauty of the gardens. While you are there, make sure you check out the shops and restaurants in town. A new find for us this time was The Bakery and Cafe at Rose's Cottage in downtown Pine Mountain. It was fabulous!

Room Tip: Deluxe villas are same price as regular villas- just meet a higher furnishing standard.
1 Thank gadkinson
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
We are glad that you enjoy Callaway Gardens. Thank you for your post. We always like to hear from guests who "Connect" with nature as it is our mission do provide such experiences. We hope that you will return soon.
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our first visit to the Inn included breakfast buffet in the Plant Room & entrance to the Gardens during our stay. Buffet set-up when we arrived early & service was prompt. Omelet bar available a couple mornings & I think I missed a treat by not trying it. Our room was close to the pool but was quiet. After a day of touring gardens, we were not disturbed by noise in the area. Our room was clean, bed very comfortable, no bugs or dirt were found & extra towels available in bath. Room was cleaned every day by the time we returned. Inn staff was very friendly & professional. Dinner in the Vineyard Green Lounge was tasty. After another long day, it was very relaxing & servers did not rush you out of the restaurant but were very prompt & attentive.

Room Tip: This was our first visit & had a room across from the pool. It was quiet but cannot compare to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Next time, be sure to try the omelets. They are fabulous. We hope that you will return to visit again soon.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I have been to Callaway before, taking our bikes to see the attractions throughout the gardens. When we saw the announcement of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performance on the beach there, we drove up after work on Friday and arrived just as the concert was beginning. What a treat! Beautiful music on a lovely night as the sun set---couldn't have been better. This time, we stayed at the Callaway Cottages---I think they've been updated since we took our children here years ago, and we were delighted with the cozy accommodations nestled in the woods. We were able to take our bikes throughout the gardens, seeing all of our favorites sites and then ride back to our cottage---so convenient. Highly recommend the Butterfly Center, Sibley Horticultural Center with the immense greenhouse and gorgeous waterfall and plants, organ concert on Saturday afternoon at the Memorial Chapel, Azalea Bowl, and Virginia Hand Callaway Discovery Center where you can browse among the art and flowers and get lunch or a snack to eat at lakeside. The Birds of Prey show is a must--those enthusiastic bird-handlers inform and inspire! These Gardens are a treasure and we enjoy it so much every visit. Great for people of all ages. Next time, we hope to do the zip-lines! Fantastic place---thank you!

Room Tip: We enjoy staying at the Mountain Inn because it's close to restaurants in the building. You can...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Wasn't it a spectacular night. We are so glad that you were able to experience Symphony on the Sand featuring the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. It is magical. And, that you were able to enjoy the Mountain Creek Inn. It's proximity to the Gardens and inclusion of admission to the Gardens, each day of stay and day of departure, make it a great option for many people. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Thank you very much for taking the time to post. TreeTop Adventure is fun! We look forward to hearing what you think of it following your next visit.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I came across some reviews of Callaway Gardens, and was prompted to put my own two cents' worth in.

We stayed at the resort just about a year ago, just as the azaleas were finishing. The grounds were marvelous and we thoroughly enjoyed our walks. I can't say the same for the accommodations. We had a room in The Mountain Creek Inn, overlooking "the great lawn." The view was nice.

After a year I still clearly recall the shabby state of the room... the general lack of cleanliness... and most of all, the hornets. Red hornets. Only one managed to find its way into our room but even as early in the spring as we were (mid-April, mind) there was a fair-sized paper wasps' nest hanging from the eave outside our room window. Sitting on our small patio (we had a ground-floor room), or even opening the window itself, was not an option.

On their website the resort states "In Spring 2013, we completely renovated the Mountain Creek Inn, bringing 245 brand new rooms and suites to life... [including] new sheetrock walls, new carpet, remodeled bathrooms, refurbished furniture..." Maybe so. Certainly the bed linens looked new. If the carpet was new, it was a poor choice. And renovation won't help a thing when housekeeping doesn't keep bathroom fixtures clean or dust the surfaces.

The room had a faint odor of mildew - perhaps after the winter it needed a good airing, but it hadn't had one when we checked in. The bathroom was small, but adequate. There were a few dead bugs, the flying kind - nothing sinister. The water-pressure was virtually nonexistent and I didn't even try to take a shower. But low water-pressure didn't keep the bathroom sink from backing up - in my journal for Callaway I noted that it "drained very slowly." Could be a fluke.

We chose not to have dinner at the resort, so the only meal we had on-site was the (included) breakfast the next morning. It was adequate, with a relatively good variety of selections. The real problem with breakfast was the staff: we were among the first to arrive in the dining room, as we are early risers. I expected to have to wait a few minutes, but the servers (who made it clear they felt we were imposing) didn't get around to having the buffet set up until a good twenty minutes late. Virtually every one of them was unpleasant, surly, uncommunicative - I've spent nearly all my professional life in customer service, and when a server is that unhappy, I genuinely wish they'd tell me why. I don't think I'm a difficult customer, but maybe I don't have the gift to see myself as others might see me (a nod to Rabbie Burns).

Unsurprisingly, the wait-staff were johnnie-on-the-spot when it came time for us to leave a tip. We didn't. I don't tip according to tradition, or standards, or "The federal minimum wage for restaurant workers is half that of other employment." I tip according to service. (And you see what an impression this made on me - even a year later, I believe I could pick out the people who waited on us. Or failed to wait on us, as the case may be.)

We spent a little over three weeks traveling throughout the South. It was a dream trip for us, seeing many historic sites and National Parks and places like Savannah and Chattanooga and Vicksburg. With the exception of two nights, we stayed in chain hotels (all of which were pretty good, and none of which was less than 3-1/2 stars out of 5). Two nights we stayed in places we thought were special. One was Wisteria Hall, in Waynesboro, GA (which I reviewed; best place I have ever stayed, bar none). Maybe that beautiful B&B heightened my expectations for Callaway Gardens.

The upshot: "adequate" is a word that keeps recurring. The room, the breakfast, the service - all were adequate in terms of meeting our needs for a place to sleep and food to eat. But in that event, Callaway Gardens is way overpriced. Perhaps it's better left to families and people who want to participate in activities and sports.

If I went again, I'd just buy the day ticket and enjoy the grounds.

An aside: about two weeks after our one-night stay I received a survey from Callaway, via email. The questions were the typical ones you find in these things. I marked them fairly low in most categories (especially cleanliness - I don't expect operating-room sterile, but I do expect the bathroom fixtures will be clean and the desk, headboards, etc., will have been dusted). When it came to the comments section, I let fly and said I felt we'd been overcharged for what we got. I've not heard anything from them since... And in anticipation that someone from Callaway will see and comment on this: no, we didn't call these lacks to anyone's attention. If management doesn't oversee the groundskeepers (to make sure hornets' nests are removed) and isn't communicating with waitstaff (or training them in good customer relations) then it's not down to me to spend my leisure time pointing out their inadequacies. But I will mention such oversights in my reviews.

[Perhaps I am too late in posting this - TripAdvisor doesn't allow me to select my stay as having been in "April 2013," which it was; on that basis, I have selected the earliest month/year it will allow, which is May 2013.]

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so sorry to hear that you were less than impressed with your stay a year ago. I can share that we have a new General Manager over the Resort and he is makes great improvements. The Mountain Creek Inn is our more historic property. Many guests appreciate its convenience to the Gardens, restaurants and meeting space as well as appreciate our continued efforts to make it very comfortable. Your April 2013 visit came at a time when we were trying to finish up the renovation and train our team to improved standards. And, please know that we offer offer more spacious two-bedroom Cottages, up to four-bedroom Villas as well as luxurious Vacation Homes. We hope that one day you'll give us another try. Thank you for your post.
dorsey
Reviewed 26 April 2014

not the most excellent hotel by any means but for the price and location it is excellent.
clean but small rooms but it is worthwhile because you get a great free buffet breakfast, entrance to the park is included. I feel it was a great value. the people here are very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your visit following your stay in the historic Mountain Creek Inn. It's location and proximity are definitely part of its appeal. We are glad that you appreciated the admission to the Gardens and its many attractions being included in the overnight stay. You must have been staying on a package, often the best value, because breakfast is not always included with overnight stays. We hope you enjoyed the bountiful breakfast. And, please note that we also offer cottages, villas and vacation homes as options - if you are looking for more space. We appreciate your taking the time to post.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and i traveled to Callaway Gardens for a 3 night Spring mini-vacation and stayed at the Newly Renovated Callaway Inn. Callaway did a great job renovating the 1950's vintage "motel" into a very very nice 21st century Inn. The accommodations are clean, fresh and a very comfortable bed provided a good night's rest after full days in the gardens. The Inn represents a bit of a nostalgic view back to the 1950's and was very tastefully decorated. The Gardens were, as always, magnificent with azaleas in full bloom and dogwoods were everywhere. We played golf one day and the Mountainview Course was wonderful, providing many new vantage points to view the beautiful lakes and gardens. Dining at various on-site restaurants was excellent and the staff's "southern hospitality" was in full bloom. We'd recommend anyone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle to visit Callaway, rest, relax, smell the coffee and the flora and enjoy some of the finer things on this Earth.

Room Tip: We found Garden/Patio view rooms to be the best. These face the Inn and are quiet and tranquil
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your post. Every season provides a great reason to visit...we hope you are able to visit again soon. We have a lot of New Orleans-area guests. We're glad that you are one of them!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
#4 of 5 in Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus

Been to Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!