“Understaffed and Overworked?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Port Wentworth
Sarasota, Florida
“Understaffed and Overworked?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived at this hotel after another eight to nine hour drive and were feeling road weary. Despite arriving after 6:00 PM we were told that housekeeping hadn't quite finished our room and we'd have to wait. This seemed very strange, but the hotel seemed new and the front desk person was friendly so we patiently waited.

The physical structure seemed new and clean, but something seemed off. We finally got to our room and it was clean and nicely furnished. The housekeeper was still cleaning our neighboring rooms despite it being three hours past check-in.

Why I gave this hotel only two stars is because of what I saw the next morning. I went to breakfast and saw that they front desk person was also the breakfast person. Strange. As I made my coffee I saw a notice from the health department. I couldn't help but read the report and one of the issues was a lack of hand washing facilities (or something like that). I then glanced over and saw the front desk woman taking out the breakfast area trash. OK. As she was taking out the trash someone asked her about getting more eggs. You could sense her frustration, but she said she'd get to it after taking out the trash. So my mind started to process. Health report. Hand washing. I wonder if this worker is going to wear gloves when getting the food? Sadly, as I walked over she wasn't using gloves and it didn't look like she had washed her hands after taking out the trash. Ugh. I might be jumping to conclusions or just plain wrong, but this is one of those situations when you pray you don't get sick by a lack of cleanliness from the food worker.

This was kind of our entire experience at the hotel. Something seemed off. The next morning as we were leaving one of the housekeepers actually had their baby with them as they were cleaning the rooms. Granted there may have been a childcare issue that morning and glad the housekeeper felt they could bring their little one to work with them, but we got the sense that there were lots of unusual situations like this happening at this hotel.

Crazy thing is the previous night we had a stayed in a much older Country Inns & Suites in Fredericksburg and it was one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in. Another proof that you can't judge a hotel by it's exterior.

Room Tip: Double check the A/C when you check in to make sure it's producing cold air.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
nsheth912, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah I-95 North, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. The report which had 97% (A) that you saw in our breakfast room said 'Adequate hand washing facility accessible" it was because we had boxes on top of the sink at the time of inspection. I can assure you that there is no cleanliness issue at our hotel. As you explained that the we do keep a very nice and clean facility and thrive to keep it that way. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Ursula Cooper
Country Inns &Suites
912-964-2300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very friendly and professional staff. The most comfy king sized bed. Awesome breakfast! Will definitely stay again when in the area. Thank you for making our 1 night stay as we passed thru a relaxing and restful one!

• Stayed July 2014
Markham, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night,staff were not overly friendly. Room was clean but very tired looking and hallway was a bit smelly. Breakfast wasn't the best. Not in the best area, but very close to Savannah. I would not stay here again. Will try Pooler area next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Renovation in progress. Excellent deal for a suite in the Savannah area. About 8 miles from historic district, but easy drive there. Not on the best side of town. Staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and fully functional. Super breakfast. I more often stay at their midtown location, but it is more expensive and not close to the expressway unlike this location

Room Tip: Ask if your room has been renovated
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hagerstown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because it was pet friendly. ($20 pet fee). From the outside it looked brand new, but upon entering we realized it was one being renovated. They must have redone the outside first. The lobby was nice and the halls were clean. The pet room we received was on the 1st floor which was convenient. The beds were not too comfortable, too soft. The duvet cover was dirty and covered with pet hair as was the curtains. The bath was clean but the door lock was missing and the fan was LOUD. The walls were well insulated. The big screen tv was nice too. But the big winner was the amazing breakfast the next morning. Huge selection! Sausage, potatoes, eggs, waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt, pastries, juices, milk, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. AMAZING! We used the pool and hot tub, too much chlorine and not warm enough, plus a lot of stuff cluttering the area. Not impressed. Keep on renovating as this place certainly has potential to be a wonderful hotel with some more work. We will try it again next time we travel and see how the renovations went.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank dink1012
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The place seems pretty new, my room was clean and quiet. The people at the front desk were friendly. I would stay again. Breakfast was just the usual fare. All in all, a good value for the price (I paid $76 with a coupon from the travel book at the rest areas) It is getting hard to find a nice clean room for under a $100, so I was satisfied.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rockwood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed there twice 8 days apart. The front end staff is outstanding , Unfortunately the state of the hotel is nowhere near the Carlson hotel standards.
Broken or missing window screens, bathroom fan unusable because of noisy bearings, lock on pool men's toilet door unserviceable, just general poor maintenance on a Motel 6 level.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple