“Simply the most wonderful place on earth!”

Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Pablo
Waupun, Wisconsin
“Simply the most wonderful place on earth!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

You can't miss going to this amazing place. Everything about our experience was way beyond anything we could have imagined. The owners were the best hosts (made you feel like family) and the staff has to be the best in Costa Rica. If you want some of the most fresh, delicious, and organic food you will ever taste this is the place. We tried Yoga for the first time and will never be able to repeat the experience in the open air studio. Our casita was wonderful as well. I can't say enough good about this place!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 November 2013

"Wow, we set the bar high in picking Amatierra for our first retreat", was something I had said to my business partner Laurenn, after our amazing first couple of days at Amatierra.

I am onto my dream portion of my career, I am now fortunate to host Pilates/Yoga/ Healing retreats. In picking our retreat location, Amatierra fit every angel we were looking for; it seemed we had found quite the little "gem". We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to start the new venture with Bob and Jill (who now are dear friends).

They have instilled confidence within myself that I am onto something really great with my new passion. They helped to make our first retreat a huge success in more ways than one!

Booking our retreat with Bob and Jill we found the process to be quite easy. Bob was very accommodating to allow Laurenn (who is in Costa Rica) to come to the retreat center to see what it was all about. I soon then received a phone call from Laurenn who was memorized by the center. "We have to book with them, this place was so amazing, Taylor I can't even describe the energy! After the yoga class, taught by Jill, I felt my hair vibrating! And the food! The food is so GOOD!" This was a powerful statement to me, as Laurenn had never mentioned her energetic experiences after any class she has taken. And Laurenn and I are a bit of, what do you call... foodies! So, I was sold!

My next phone conversation was with Bob. We connected instantly as we shared a connection through the city of Chicago, where he grew up. He was great and easy to chat with. He told me all about the retreat center and what our attendees would receive; it all was reasonable for the price per attendee. He insured me that the weather in September would be beautiful and it was, even though it was rainy season (we loved the predictable afternoon rain that told us it was siesta time and the evening rain that shared our evening movement classes/ the start of dinner with us). At the end of our conversation I felt ready to start advertising our retreat with a very reasonable price for all we were going to offer.

The payment process went well and I felt safe with the transaction. The contract was easy to read and was fair for both parties. The business side of things ran smoothly. Bob was very easy to get a hold of to answer any of our questions. He even advertised our retreat for us on his Facebook page and website.

The time came for our SOLD OUT retreat! Costa Rica was pretty easy to travel to with only one layover from Chicago (we learned on the way back to NOT fly Spirit Air, stupid mistake on our part to pick that airline to fly with). We got to Amatierra with their help, after quite the adventure on a bus that was stuck, (once again, had nothing to do with Amatierra- we booked this transportation outside of the retreat center). They were there to help us in time of need and made sure we were all fine once we arrived. They even went out of their way to come pick us up and greet us with smoothies! It was so wonderful to meet Bob and Jill- finally. They were everything we had hoped we'd come to meet! We also got a bonus with Carlos- our pool boy, just kidding, our "everything" man (so accommodating and fun)! He is such a special person, as he adds such much life and laughter to the center. We can't say enough about our new (yes, that makes 3) dear friend(s).

After settling in a bit (including an all clothes on jump in the pool by Laurenn and I) we had a wonderful dinner of Tuna stakes (Laurenn was right, the FOOD! Oh, so amazing! We are all Amatierra cookbook owners!) and retired to our double occupancy casitas. They were perfectly equipped with everything we could need, were very clean, and had a nice Costa Rican touch to them.

The next morning we were woken with the excitement to explore the beautiful center. We were amazing with how beautiful the property was and all that was there at our finger tips; hiking trails, a waterfall, tilapia pond, greenhouse, AMAZING yoga studio, treatment rooms/ services, a pool, an outside lounging area, an inside lounge area with WIFI, dining area, and our own taxis to take us anywhere we wanted to go! What more could we possibly want?

We had a loose itinerary for the week with: morning meditation, morning class, breakfast, free time, lunch, siesta, evening class, and dinner. We did have one group excursion day planned, where we went zip lining and horse back riding to the most beautiful waterfall, which Bob set up with transportation.

We are so happy to have planned the week this way because it allowed the time for our attendees to enjoy all the treatments/ services Amatierra had to offer on and off site. Through these services, the retreat center itself, and our classes we were able to see the beautiful transformation in all of our attendees. Every single person was able to leave something that no longer served them and made goals for when they returned home. It was such a beautiful process to watch unfold. I have to thank Jill for most of this. She is incredibly talented with her healing gifts, that we all indulged in. We were honored to have her also teach yoga classes, crystal singing bowl classes, and a full moon festival for us! Words cannot describe how grateful we are for the opportunity to be around Jill and everyone they brought in for us, including Tanya!

Amatierra staff is so friendly and jumps up to meet your every need. They are so warm and welcoming and are always there to greet you with a smile. They are some hard working people!

As our week was winding down, some were fearful of going back to our hometown and loosing the sense of peace, happiness, and contentment we received at the center. I told them they can access the wonderful feeling we experienced at anytime, all they had to do was think of the memories we shared together at Amatierra. I reminded my attendees we would be back soon and they were able to visit the center anytime they wanted to.

I highly recommend Amatierra, I really cannot say enough about the center and of Bob and Jill. I am happy to speak to anyone about our experience as I will help to persuade you to "go for it"! This place will always and forever have a special place in my heart!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had an amazing time at Amatierra. I went with a group of 16 other women on a pilates retreat from Chicago in mid September. The property is gorgeous, amazing views from the patio day and night. Trails for short hikes and lots of plant life everywhere.

The food is fantastic! Breakfast lunch and dinner are served daily, and as a vegetarian they were extremely accommodating. I also picked up the cookbook to try and recreate the experience at home!

We did take a few day trips from Amatierra, yes they are at east 1hr away but this made for really beautiful scenic ride through the mountains. We went to the national park were we saw lots of wildlife, birds, monkeys, our tour guide Victor was very knowledgeble. We also spent time in Jaco on the beach and another day ziplining.

But more about Amatierra... The hosts Jill and Bob are truly wonderful warm people. Very welcoming and accomadating. We spent several nights up singing and dancing. It felt less like being at a hotel and more like visiting long lost friends.

The yoga studio is remarkable, views out into the mountains, and open air all around. Their is also an amethyst mat that you can rent time on. (recommend)

This is a wellness center so I have to mention the treatments that are offered. Jill is a very knowledgeable herbalist, gives excellent consultations and healing treatments. You can find a list of services on their website. My experience with her was life changing and I know many others on our retreat felt the same.

Overall I would recommend this retreat center to anyone looking to get away from a busy life,nature lovers, or for anyone looking to get "unstuck." Sometimes we just need some time to slow down and listen to that little voice inside, and truly take time to love ourselves, this is the place to do that.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Visiting Amatierra is like staying with favorite relatives/friends. Owners Bob and Jill are warm and welcoming! Manager Carlos with his contagious smile and upbeat charm is perceptive and helpful. The entire staff is very attentive and responsive to your needs. We enjoyed all our fresh, healthy and very tasty meals on the open aired balcony overlooking the green-lush valley and mountains. The yoga pavilion is dream-like with the incredibly beautiful views of the tropical forest, which offers peace and tranquility. We are two female novice yogis, one late 50’s and the other late 60’s. We each had our own casita, which were clean, and comfortable. Out of our 6-day stay, we took two full day excursions that Bob arranged. We had an awesome adventure with Victor of Vic-Tours, hiking the trails at Carara National Park and viewing birds and crocodiles on the Mangrove & River Tour. Our other amazing adventure we spent with Juan visiting Poas Volcano and the wildlife refuge and hiking the trails at LaPaz Waterfall Gardens. The other days we stayed on the property hiking the grounds, reading by the pool, and indulging in heavenly spa treatments.
Have we highly recommended AmaTierra to friends? YES! Will we visit AmaTierra again? YES!

Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I always feel that vacations are put on a pedestal prior to arriving, and then once there, they tend to fall somewhat flat. The idea that there is a utopia becomes a dream, ruined often by inadequate service, miscommunication, boredom, etc.

However, my recent stay at Amatierra bucked the trend of all previous vacations. It is, and was, truly a utopian experience. I spent a week there as part of a yoga/Pilates retreat, and still feel moved and awed by my experience.

The place itself is beautiful; lush rain forest, gorgeous and homey living space. And the excursions, which were arranged without effort, were amazing and extremely fun. But what was most impressive to me, that I don't believe you can find just anywhere, was the amazing friendship and hospitality offered by Bob and Jill the owners, Carlos their assistant and all of the cooks, housekeepers, drivers, etc. Each person invited you into Amatierra and into their hearts as if into their own home. They were accommodating, inviting, and created the magical, positive atmosphere that makes Amatierra a vacation like no other. They even handled my pesky vegetarian eating habits with food I can't even begin to describe as merely being delicious.

I would go back in an instant: because it’s beautiful and peaceful; because I was able to meditate and do yoga in an amazing studio; because I got an astounding massage and spiritual treatment. But mostly, I would go back because of the people who live and work at Amatierra, and because they gave me something that I believe everyone is looking for: the ability to feel loved by and connected to beautiful, amazing people.

1 Thank Rachel N
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
we so enjoyed your group from Chicago and the like and really noticed from the time you came until the time you all left the transformation that occurred in all of you, that speaks highly for the group leaders and the location/environment where the retreat took place. Our staff so appreciated your kind words and generosity. We hope to see you again in the not to distant future. Thanks from all of us at The Retreat Center in Costa Rica
West Dundee, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I recently spent a week at Ama Tierra , for a yoga /Pilates retreat with Inner Peace retreats . Ama Tierra was amazing ! The property was Beautiful , the food delicious and healthy , the excursions we took were Great , and a good value ! But I cannot say enough about the staff, we were welcomed , taken care of , and made to feel like Family ! I highly recommend Ama Tierra , and can't wait to go back ! Thank -you , so very much for a Life-changing week , Jill and Bob !

Room Tip: I stayed in casita -" Vino" loved the location , close to main-house !
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I went to Ama Tierra with Inner Peace Retreats for a week of yoga and pilates. We had the entire resort, 17 of us in the 10 casitas. It is one of the most wonderful, peaceful places I have ever visited. Eating breakfast on the expansive patio watching the toucans playing in the trees, taking a yoga class in the beautiful outdoor studio, eating one amazing meal after another, lounging by the pool and wandering around the grounds taking photos of all the amazing plants and wildlife, Jill and Bob were outstanding hosts. They were attentive, flexible, kind and accommodating. It really felt like we were guests in their home. Their staff, especially fabulous Carlos, were wonderful. The treatments were really special. I experienced the ear candling, head/neck/shoulder massage, the stomach chi, a session with spiritual healer, Tanya and I went to visit Marcia and Mark for their remarkable horse experience. We also had a salsa evening at the resort and a crystal bowl meditation evening - both were a lot of fun. For the many things to do away from the resort, Bob organised transport for us, and this went without a hiccup. We went zip-lining and horse riding. Others went to the national park and the beach. When Bob went into the larger town, some of us went along with him, nothing was too much trouble. I will be visiting Jill and Bob again - there is no doubt. I will never forget my time at Ama Tierra,

Room Tip: All the casitas are similar in size and layout. They do run down a rather steep hill so if you have...
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pablo
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!