“Great family time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond Hill
Fort McAllister State Historic Park Campground
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Took my family for a weekend camping trip. This place offers great views of the water and marsh. There is a nature trail at the end of the camp ground. There is a gated entrance for campers. The staff was helpful. There are canoes and fishing equipment to rent. A boat dock and fishing pier, two picnic areas. There is a separate tent area vs RVs. The comfort stations are clean and well stocked. Showers offer hot water. We saw deer, raccoons, opossum, squirrels, fiddlers crabs, and skinks. Would advise people to bring bug spray for the gnats or beetle bugs. They were not bad just annoying. Tent sites include electric and water. There is a fire ring and picnic table at each site. Short drive to savannah or Tybee island from campsite.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank boysbruce

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I took my kids on a last minute camping trip this past weekend. We chose Ft. McAllister because it is fairly close to our home and we knew ahead of time that the weather may not cooperate. We stayed for two nights. The first night we arrived late (after the office closed) and had to do a temporary check-in. The couple that registered us was very friendly and offered helpful information for choosing our site. The next morning we walked on the trail and scouted around the area. Early that afternoon there was a downpour. We all sat in the tent and played Bingo until the storm passed (thankfully it only only lasted about an hour). After it started to clear up we went to the Ft. McAllister historic site and looked around. We weren't sure we were going to be able to go into the fort area because we had our dog with us and we didn't want to leave her alone back at the tent but the fort is pet-friendly (which was awesome and unexpected) Because of the weather, we were pretty much the only people there. There was a group of soldiers from a nearby base taking a private tour but we were the only family. Mr. Kirkland who works at the fort was wonderful. He offered to do a musket shooting demonstration which I thought was very nice of him since there was not a large group to watch it. After going back to the campground we went fishing. We stayed in site #44 (actually an RV site - long story) and it was very close to bathrooms, the playground, and the fishing pier. It was nice to be able to see the restrooms from the site so I didn't have to follow each of the kids every time they had to go to the bathroom. (By the way, the youngest is 12 - I don't want people thinking I was sending a 5-year old to the bathroom alone). The only other comment I am going to make is about the raccoons. We did not keep ANYTHING outside of our tents except shoes. We tossed our trash in the dumpsters before we went to sleep or if our trash was just a bag with a couple of soda cans we pulled it into the tent. We had no problem at all with the raccoons. However, the raccoons at the campground are very comfortable with people. One kept coming up to our tent and even when it was yelled at it wouldn't leave. It did not seem to like the sound of the tent zipper being opened but other than that nothing seemed to faze it. I am pretty sure the idiots behind us were feeding them (despite numerous warnings and pleading from the staff not to) and it is obvious that they have been fed by humans in the past. The park rangers even said that if they cannot get the raccoons to stay away from the tent sites they may have to remove them from the park. It would be sad to lose a close-up glimpse of wildlife just because of a few tacky people who can't follow rules, so hopefully the ranger's attempts to educate campground guests will work out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I tent camped here with our dog at the end of Feb 2014. All the campsites were clean and level and each had electric and water, a metal t pole w/ hooks you could hang stuff on (but be warned the the raccoons can reach your hanging stuff!) and fire ring with an adjustable grill on the fire ring - although a stand alone, higher grill would have been preferred, this one worked just fine once we got the hang of it. There is green and dry wood sold on site for $5/10 pieces and it's honor system so you don't have to hunt anyone down, but saying that, I doubt finding a host would have been an issue bc hey were friendly and attentive.

We got there on a Thursday afternoon and had that night and most of Friday to ourselves but it started filling up Friday night/Saturday and it was almost completely full Saturday/Sunday.

We had a wonderful experience and will definitely camp there again, hopefully at the same campsite, #63, which was fairly large and private and very near the nature walk entrance. Any of the tent sites near the far right road would have nice marsh views and be on the outer edge of the campground, but still just a short walk to the comfort station (CS).

The CS on the tent camp side I think is nicer than the one close to the dump station which has only 2 showers stalls and no hand dryer. The tent side C S is heated/cooled, has 3 shower stalls w/small dressing area/bench and hooks to hang towels/etc on and a hand dryer (that works quite nicely as a hair dryer FYI). Water was hot quick and good pressure - I recommend the far left shower bc it's a little bigger and the shower head is movable...not so in the other 2 stalls.

The only negative things I can say are that sound carries and you can hear all your camp neighbors business, even when they are whispering and the RACCOONS are absolutely not afraid of you or your big dogs! I saw on other reviews to be prepared but I had no idea how pushy these guys were - the first night, right when it got dark we were finishing dinner and still had some food out and they surrounded us, walked right up to us and almost climbed up on the picnic table and joined us.

We were prepared the second night and had everything put up except for a soft sided drink cooler and my husband literally had a tug of war with one of the raccoons over the cooler. We have had some good laughs over it but just be prepared!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ssi_traveler_34
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just a marvelous experience from the beginning to the end. I brought a rally here. Staff went out of their way to really take care of us. Our tour of the Fort was entertaining and amusing. The salt marsh tour was informative and fun. Our sites had 30 amp and water (coaches were 37 to 40 feet long). While there were not any sewer points at each site there is a dump at the campground. And did I say how wonderful the staff was? Just want to reiterate how friendly, helpful and fantastic they were. A great place to visit with children.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ConnieBR
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We took the short ride from Savannah to Fort McAllister on two separate Saturdays in February. Our first trip we were geocaching on Savage Island. The park staff were immensely helpful in getting me onto the island as I am disabled. The campground and trails on Savage Island are well marked and relatively smooth. We enjoyed a leisurely walk along the trails while geocaching which afforded beautiful marsh and forest views. The island does have a boat ramp and restroom facilities as well as numerous camping/RV sites.
Our next trip we took Red Bird Trail which is a 3 mile loop. Beautiful walk in the woods while geocaching, well marked and lots of photo opportunities. Take the small side trail to the observation deck. It's worth the walk. I was impressed at how many people were out an about on the trail, but it never felt crowded. I was also impressed with the well maintained trail.
Next visit will be to the Fort itself!

Room Tip: Ask for a marsh or riverside campsite for the best spots!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kdragnfli
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We planned a week's long adventure along the Georgia coast and decided to stay in one of the cottages at Fort McAllister State Park for 2 nights. A wise decision! The location is fabulous! Excellent scenery and close to other attractions like Savannah and points south. Cottage #2 was spacious, clean and comfortable with an awesome sunrise view over the marsh. Several new cottages have been built and will be open soon. They are lovely. We are Friends of Georgia State Parks members and travel to many parks. This one now ranks as one of our favorites. We experienced only one negative: the cooking implements were rather lacking. Most park cottages and cabins have a better variety.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank FlyingDeb
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Good: This campground is located on the Ogechee (sp?) river south of Savannah in Richmond hills GA at the site of a Civil War fort. It is about a 20 minute drive into historic Savannah. All lots appeared to be pull through. Power and water only with a dumpstation on site. They are spacious and well separated by shrubs and trees. Lots of live oak and Spanish moss. Fire rings and picnic tables at all and grills at many. Two well apportioned bath houses, one ADA compliant. We stayed in lot 13, but after walking around the campground I think we would stay up in the 50's area next time. 60 and above appeared to be tent sites.
The Bad: Lots of Raccoons that have no fear of people anymore. Keep your trash secured and don't feed them. The bath house near lot 8 is very hard to find at night. Bring a good flashlight and orient yourself in the daytime. The shower has no lip to stop water on the floor, so the dressing area floor floods. If you aren't careful, your clothes get wet. We will stay here again next trip to the area. Price was $30 a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends