“Not what we have come to expect at a Hampton”

Hampton Inn Ringgold-Ft. Oglethorpe
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ringgold
Glenwood, Iowa
“Not what we have come to expect at a Hampton”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at this property on our way through to Florida. We stay at a lot of Hampton Inns, and therefore we have certain standards in mind when we book a room. The room itself was not bad - it was average as far as this hotel brand goes.

The problem with the room came at about 1:00 a.m. when the room above us became occupied. Apparently they had children that were allowed to be up in the middle of the night, and apparently they were involved in a wrestling match. The LOUD thuds and crashes lasted until past 2:00 a.m. We did not call the desk because to do so would have further disturbed our sleeping daughter, and we did not want to move rooms at that hour of the night. So my husband turned on the continuous fan to hopefully drown out some of the noise, and he and I slept off and on.

We were surprised when the elevator opened to our floor to be greeted by bare concrete on the landing. It looked like the carpet had been ripped up and the floor was waiting for its next covering. The manager did explain that they were waiting to install the new tile, and that it is difficult to get that done while hotel guests are booked. It might have been more appealing to leave the old floor covering until the new could be installed.

Lastly, we were disappointed in the breakfast offerings. Again, we know what to expect in Hampton Inn breakfast - they're pretty standard. My husband has had open heart surgery in the last 2 years, so he always chooses the healthy/lite options. Unfortunately, there was no mixed fruit, there was only one topping for the oatmeal (sliced almonds...while there were two empty containers sitting there), and the only fresh option was apples, which I believe were the standard, flavorless Red Delicious variety. The manager did explain that they hadn't expected to be so busy and that they had run out of the fresh offerings. However, this was a hotel on I-75, which is the Spring Break central route to Florida, so it seems that experience would have indicated the busyness of the weekend.

We did talk to the manager as we were checking out, and she did take some off the total for the room. She also offered a stay on a return trip. Unfortunately we did not reserve ahead of time because we were unsure of our plans to they were completely full on our return trip. Again, Spring Break traffic. I wonder if they had any fresh food or got any sleep with the thin floors and walls...

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor to avoid noise from above!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Kasondra H, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Ringgold-Ft. Oglethorpe, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
We are very sorry that you experienced problems with our hotel during your recent stay. We really did not expect spring to start when it did. Next year we will be better prepared. All of our floors have the tile on them. I'm sorry you had some noise issues. Had we known, we could've asked them to keep the noise down. Breakfast is changing daily, hopefully you will stop back by and enjoy some. We encourage you to stay with us again and let us show you our Hamptonality! Thank you for responding to Tripadvisor as we use this as a tool to improve our guest service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a convenient stop off I75 . The hotel is newer, and clean, and the pool is a bit larger than most new pools. It is surrounded by a small forest area, so there is actually a pretty nice view out the windows, and they would probably have a few trails to walk through. The breakfast was fine, and free. There were nearby restaurants - Logans, O'Charley's, and a Walmart. We've stayed here before, and we would stay again.
We did not love the Logans, but have liked it in the past. Maybe we were just there on a bad night, but the it took a long time to get our food, and they had trouble cooking our steaks as we ordered.
I also remembered the tip from another reviewer - to use the street near the gas station off the exit to reach the hotel, and this was quite helpful.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a view of the trees.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 April 2013

After business plans changed last minute, the Hilton 800 # couldn't help me transfer my reservation, and I didn't get the warm and fuzzy feeling that I usually do by being a Diamond VIP Member. I called the hotel directly, and was treated as such by a wonderful lady named Cassandra. She quickly cancelled my reservation, and thanked me for being a HH Member. I will definitely stay here when my business brings me back through. I have stayed in some plush accomodations through my business travels, but I will take a great customer service experience, such as I received from Cassandra over better amenities any day of the week.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2013

New, comfortable, elegant and clean place. After long drive from Florida a perfect stop. M family always stays at Hampton and usually you can be pretty sure that you get an excellent service. No disappointments here- a great hotel for a great value.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This was one of the better Hampton Inns that I've stayed at. All areas of the facility were cleaned and well-maintained. I appreciated how friendly the staff was when we checked in and the design of the lobby area. Sometimes they are like loud open areas, but this one was not and it was more comfortable to check into. One of my favorite things about the entire Hampton Inn chain is that there is coffee and hot water available 24 hours a day. We arrived during a cold, wet rainstorm and it was nice to grab a cup of hot water to warm up with. The pool area was really nice too. I appreciated that there was a hot tub and both the pool/hot tub were very clean. You don't always experience that when traveling. The staff was FANTASTIC. I was impressed with each and every person I came into contact with (check in, check out, breakfast area staff, etc.) All of them were courteous and friendly. Some hotels the breakfast workers are hurried and frustrated trying to keep everything full. However, at this Hampton, while the person had to work hard to fill things up, they were still very friendly. That can be especially hard when you're working on a holiday. It was Easter Sunday. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It might be one of the best Hampton Inns I've ever stayed at. Ever. And we're Hilton HHonors members so we've stayed at a LOT of Hampton Inns over the years.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with pleasant employees who are only interested in making your stay as pleasant as possible. We will definitely stay here again. The pool was clean and always stocked with fresh towels, the breakfast was AWESOME!!! The front end people were pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable, and everything smelled clean and fresh!!!
Not only will we stay here again, but we will recommend this location to everyone we meet.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Coldwater, Mississippi
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Having family living in the Ringgold, GA. area, and the fact that it was one of the newest hotels in the area, my sister and I chose this hotel.
We were here for an emergency situation involving my daughter.
We stayed 3 nights and were very pleased with the accomadations. On the second day of our stay, there was an altercation in our room involving my daughter and grand-daughter. I was terrified and called the front desk to call the police. Almost immediately , two of the male staff were at my door. The staff handled the problem with great kindness and efficiency.
I was more than surprised at the helpfullness and compassion given to myself and sister by most of the employees. The staff checked on us several times.( I am 65 and disabled). They were also very professional as well as efficient and kind.
I would like to thank all of them but only have a few names I had the desk clerk write down for me. My greatest graditude and respect goes to Brian Reeves, Jason Neuser, Darlene Bagley, Cortney May, and Annie Reeves and anyone else that lended a helping hand or gave us a kind or encouraging word. I will never forget their most needed assistance during a stressful time.
I plan on visiting the area again and will definitely stay at this facility.
I could write a short book on everything that we liked about this hotel. It was clean, the breakfast was unbelievable and all the staff and employees were friendly and efficient. Darlene Bagley is a valuable asset to your company with her expertise in managing the dining area and food preparation. The large number of food items to choose from, the quality, and cleanliness made the meal the best we have ever experienced while being out of town. Hats off to you, Darlene!
I truly wish we had more people like these in our world. It would make it a much better place to live. Especially when one's out of town!
Margaret Sue Lowery, Coldwater, MS
Kay Woolfolk, Sardis, MS.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet. Microwave, coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, etc. furnished. Large bathrooms and very...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringgold
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Ringgold
Best Western Plus Arbour Inn & Suites
Super 8 Ringgold
Super 8 Ringgold
#3 of 6 in Ringgold

Been to Hampton Inn Ringgold-Ft. Oglethorpe? Share your experiences!