“Romantic is just the start!”
Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
MSP
“Romantic is just the start!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Beautiful,romantic, friendly service, great location and fabulous food...what else do you need! My wife and I stayed 5 days and there was nothing amiss. Staff was so warm and friendly you felt like family right away. The roof top bar and restaurant was sooo good we eat twice. The free morning breakfast was heavenly. The rooms are huge and no detail is missed! You can tell a lot of thought and love was but into the property. We met owner Joe and he was very gracious and he has the BEST STAFF IN THE BIZ!!!

Wes B, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very pleased that you had a relaxing getaway with us. Please visit us again soon!

Wes Burgner
Director of Operations
Ocean Lodge and The Rooftop Restaurant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Blown away by the architecture/decor. Local artists did an awesome job on paintings in our suite as well as the ceiling in the lobby/bar area! So quiet, nice view. Biking and walking to shops and restaurants(and beach) were a must. Employees are so friendly, shared local history with us made it so memorable. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 18kimmr
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful and memorable experience with us. We are looking forward to your return again soon!

Gainesville
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We visited St Simon's for the first time this year. Our stay at Ocean Lodge really made the trip. When we checked in we were welcomed by a lady named Ann and she was so genuine and sweet. She chatted with us upon arrival and even gave us a tour of our suite which was so beautiful. It was also extremely comfortable. Every person who we were in contact with at the front desk was very gracious and accommodating. We ran into the housekeeper on the second day and she not only checked on us while we were at the pool but also our room. She was very friendly and brought us anything we needed. Breakfast had great made-to-order food and a gorgeous view on the outside terrace! It is a small resort which makes you really feel special! They even realized we had missed our first breakfast! Dinner at their rooftop restaurant was Ah-maz-ing. I had the braised short ribs and my husband had the lamb stew. The short ribs were out of this world. The manager of the restaurant, George, went above and beyond!! We bought a round for a couple who were having their wedding reception the same night as our dinner and he was helpful, friendly and went above and beyond for us! We also had drinks at their bar after dinner and the bartender, Jason, had the same level of customer service. We were also able to meet the owner of the hotel who was just as friendly. Our stay was first class from check in, dinner, drinks, breakfast, staff, even the room it self. I can't wait to go back! Being from Florida, with all the beaches here, and a fan of the night life in a city like Charleston, I wasn't very impressed with the island of St. Simon's. But I will go back just because of our stay at the Ocean Lodge Resort!

1 Thank Tiffany D
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Tiffany,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Ocean Lodge. We are delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere and service. We will definitely pass this wonderful review to our staff, it will make their day! We look forward to your return to Ocean Lodge in the future.

ponte vedra
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have never paid so much for a room, but my husband and I really needed a weekend away from the kids and this place hit the spot perfectly. The beds/pillows are extremely comfortable. The view of the ocean off of our private deck was worth every penny. You can see the sun come up and drink your morning coffee. The room comes with a living room and kitchen, so you could bring a few items....wine...special treats with you. This is not a family location. The food on the roof was okay. I would probably stick to drinks and then eat somewhere local. Access to free bikes was a nice feature that we took advantage of.

Room Tip: choose an end room on the top floor for best view and large balcony.
1 Thank kbraddock_12
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 20 April 2012

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I think overall we were happy bc of the location and general feel of the room. We had a nice time but I'm not sure we would go back. I will list out my pro and con list below....

Pro
-Location- beach was great and steps away.
-Beds/space in room- It was comfortable and spacious
-Balcony- AMAZING and we had the best view from 4th floor corner suite.
-Coffee at breakfast. It is some special type of coffee that they serve and it is really really good.

Con
-Service was not great. They were never at desk and never had the answer to our question when we finally found someone.
-Breakfast was free which is good but not gourmet. Still better than continental type breakfast. Don't get your eggs anything but fried or scrambled bc they don't know how to cook them properly :-)
-Keurig in room was broken so no coffee unless we called for it. They said that a lot of the Keurig's were "broken" and they didn't have replacements.
-Bathrooms in rooms are not very spacious and very little counter space.
-Pool is basically non-existent

Room Tip: 4th floor corner room is best!
3 Thank kmehawkeye
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your most recent visit. We sincerely value your feedback as it helps us to develop and improve the experience we provide to our guests. I can assure you we are taking these comments very seriously and I would sincerely appreciate if you would contact me directly so we can rectify our faults. We strive to adhere to all of our guests needs and do our best to go above and beyond. I hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

samantha@oceanlodgessi.com
912-291-4300 ext. 6025
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Just finished 2 day stay at Ocean Lodge in Saint Simons Island. Arrived ~1:30pm hoping to check in and get on their bikes. Front desk lade told us to come back after 4:00 and she couldn't let us use their bikes until check-in. This hotel is practically empty...I'm shocked they wouldn't let us check in and use their bike for the price I'm paying (>200/noc). Secondly, the hotel is not on the water....it is across the street from high rise condos that block the ocean view from the 2 & 3 floor rooms. The balcony is useful to look at the other condos. Also, the ocean beach is non-existant at high tide. I had to walk 3 block to get to the beach in mid-afternoon.
The front desk lady not only answers the phone, checks you in, waitresses for breakfast, shows you the room.....but also makes you wait while she answers the phone or does her multiple other tasks. The gym is essentially two tired treadmill and free weights, the small rooftop pool is a non-heated, swim against the motor generated current.....no hot tubs.
The breakfast is far from gourmet....I had to ask if they had juice and no offer of milk or condiments. The wait is painfully slow, the room is the lobby not even in their roof top restaurant! No wine and cheese reception at evening at this bed and breakfast....no morning paper or even to offer breakfast in bed.
I found it to be an over-decorated room, over-priced hotel, with non-ocean front hotel rooms and poor front desk service. I tried to cancel the second day of my reservation, but they refused and said I would be charged the price of the room because I did give the required 14 day notice. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Since the hotel was empty, we asked for an upgrade. Not available....they said the hotel was full b...
2 Thank Westcoastnative546
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very concerned to read about your disappointing experience during your recent visit and please accept our most sincere apologies. This is not an example of the usual Ocean Lodge standard, and I would very much appreciate an opportunity to further discuss with you the details of your review. I would be very grateful if you would please contact me directly to remedy our shortcomings. Please be assured we are taking these matters extremely seriously as we always strive for an exceptional guest experience. I hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

samantha@oceanlodgessi.com
912-291-4300 ext. 6025
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I've never paid this much for a room before but quickly found that the money was well spent and my expectations were surpassed!

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The tub itself was worth the cash.

The food was superb! Order your breakfast and then take it to the 5th floor. So nice and we had it all to ourselves. We ate dinner one evening at the lodge's restaurant and it was the BEST food we have ever had on the island. In fact, we will definitely eat there again even of we can't afford to stay there every visit!
The filet was ridiculously good as we're the grits and te collards (which I usually hate but I've changed my mind since eating theirs!)

As good as the food was, as wonderful as the rooms were, it was the service that wowed us the most. As former Disney castmembers, we have high standards when it comes to guest service :)
From Bill at the front desk to Lorna at the restaurant to Jackie who set us up with a tray for breakfast on the 5th floor. Everyone was SPECTACULAR!

Thank you for making our 12th anniversary fantastic. Hope to see you again :)

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Ashleymaxeydavis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!