“unforgettable experience with lots of great memories made”
Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Georgia
“unforgettable experience with lots of great memories made”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

This was my second time at Ocean Lodge. My husband and I got married on the penthouse balcony at dusk on November 28th, 2008. Unfortunately, because of our schedules, we could not get back to Ocean Lodge the exact one year anniversary, but we brought our parents with us this time. We had a blast. David's breakfasts in the morning can not be duplicated anywhere else on the island....NEVER go out for breakfast or you are missing a huge perk to this wonderful place. Everything was clean and perfect. I have to say, when my husband and I got married, Dottie made everything absolutely perfect for us. We couldnt have picked a more romantic, quiet place to start the rest of our lives. Really, there is no better. When we came back for our second stay in Oct '09, we arrived and the air conditioning was not working properly in the second bedroom. My husband is an engineer, so if he was having problems with it, I would feel worse for a layman to try and work that thing. After an hour of playing with the remote to the backup airconditioning in the second bedroom, we finally got it cool. It was nearly 85 degrees that day, and air conditioning was a must. There was no ice in the freezer, and when we clicked on the ice maker in the freezer, it gave us about 3 ice cubes an hour, so we had to go down and get ice from the butler constantly during our stay. Also, not that it was a big deal, but the cable was out as well. The young girl that checked us in seemed extremely defensive when we confronted her with all the issues we were having with the air conditioner, the ice and the cable. We like to listen to the music channels in our rooms, it makes the atmosphere even more serene, and since there was a bunch of construction going on the ground floor of the hotel, it helped drown out the noise. The young girl told us she checked our room and got it ready for us, but I dont think she really knew what she was doing like the other butlers because she had a really bad attitude and seemed flustered with all of our issues. Again, everything was so perfect on our first visit, that I am sure we were just really spoiled when our second visit was any shade off from perfect. However, no matter how horrible the young girl was, Stephen and Dottie MORE than made up for. They were helpful, enthusiastic, and overly charming with everything.

The Oceanlodge offers a huge array of personal services that you just do not find elsewhere. The breakfasts, the views, full kitchens, and huge comfortable pillow beds, flat screen tv's in every bedroom.......it is like staying at a luxury spa. The bicycles they offer guests as a service are a nice touch as well, but they really need some maintenance. They are nice bikes but almost all of them have flat tires. The butler has to unlock them for you, so if you get a bike, check the tires while they are there or you will have to go running after the butler again for an air pump!
We will be back again, and I look forward to hopefully seeing the bar open next time!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GeorgiaBeachdreamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
West Virginia
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Trip advisor usually does well in picking top hotels, and this is no exception. There is a reason the Ocean Lodge is rated as #1 and I'm sure they will stay on top. This is without a doubt the nicest hotel room my wife and I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.

Upon check in we found that parking was underneath the hotel and spaces were plentiful. After walking several feet to the elevator you arrive at the lobby and we were immediately greeted and checked in. The entire check in process took about 30 seconds. Upon being shown our room my first surprise was that there is no room key to bother with. Instead you are given a code that you enter on a keypad. What a great idea! It sure made things much easier and convenient during our stay.

The room itself was incredible. Two full bathrooms , a kitchen with bar area, living room area, master bedroom and a very large terrace with ocean views. The entire suit was very plush and luxurious, and the king sized bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. After laying down in the evening I never made it past 60 seconds before falling fast asleep.

Breakfast in the mornings are provided from 8 – 10am and are prepared by a chef. A full menu is provided with main selections and “a la cart” items as well. Everything was fresh and cooked to perfection. The dining room area is comfortable and luxurious, the hostess is attentive and always pleasant. Another nice thing about breakfast, the owner is usually there dining as well and always asks if everything is going o.k. I’ve never had that happen, what a surprise!

After breakfast you can take bicycles from the hotel to explore the island and I would highly recommend this option. Getting around St. Simons is very easy and pleasant this way. The area restaurants are excellent and the small beach shops are nice to browse in as well. There is not much of a beach around the hotel however plentiful large beaches can be found by going a mile or so north. An easy 5 minute bike or car ride. The hotel will also provide you with beach chairs, towels and even an umbrella.

This is the perfect place to stay for a romantic relaxing vacation and I cannot say enough about the Ocean Lodge and it’s wonderful staff. Thank you so much and we will be returning!

N. Georgia
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Ocean Lodge is a beautiful property with exceptionally courteous and helpful staff. My husband and I recently enjoyed a three night weekend in one of the sumptuous one bedroom suites with two full baths. What luxury! Our son and daughter-in-law joined us for our last two nights, and the suite worked beautifully as an adjoining second bedroom and its own luxurious bath were linked to the living quarters for them. The high-end construction and exquisite decor, deep, spacious balcony looking to the sea off both the living room and bedroom, and uncommonly friendly and helpful service made this a truly superior getaway.
The exceptional quality of the lodge, the delicious hot breakfast prepared to each taste and included in the price, along with bikes for exploring the neighborhood, and beach towels, chairs and umbrellas happily supplied, made our stay unforgettable. As our daughter-in-law wrote on a note left at the end of our stay: "Ocean Lodge rocks! Thank you." We look forward to a return visit with family and friends.

• Stayed September 2009
Athens
Reviewed 3 October 2009

If you are looking for an intimate villa atmosphere, luxurious decor, pampering by a very caring staff, and a beautiful island location, this is the place to stay! Every aspect of this experience was exceptional. Every bite of food was a delight, the chef presented us with some new and special every day. The room was actually a huge, beautifully appointed suite with balcony views that were breathtaking day and night. The location is perfect, a quick walk or bike ride to St. Simon Village, parks and restaurants. The staff was especially wonderful. We felt as thought we had known them forever! They were friendly and accommodating, clearly there to make the experience pleasurable. Staying at the Ocean Lodge was unforgettable. I will certainly recommend it to friends and hope to return soon!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Jacksonville
Reviewed 2 October 2009

My family and I travel quite a bit and have stayed in some lovely places. I must say, we all agreed that the Ocean Lodge exceeded our expectations. It is absolutely beautiful with incredible furnishings, original art, beautiful ocean views not only from our own terrace, but also from the fifth floor terrace which is available to all guests. The breakfast, prepared by their own chef, offered many choices and was delicious.

The staff was readily available and so friendly! We plan to return next year and can't wait!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We just got back from the Ocean Lodge yesterday. What an experience! From the moment we walked in we were taken away with the hospitality, the quality of craftsmenship, and the beauty that surrounded us. We were concerned having left the house ina hurry w/o showering and changing from the days work if we would receive an eyebrow (stuffiness, I am eluding to). No, we walked into the lobby and were greeted with a smiling face (she was wearing shorts and flip flops). When we were brought to our room we were blown away! Awesome is all I can use to describe it. What more could you ask for? The bed was so comfortable we had a hard time getting out in the morning. The his and her bathrooms were much enjoyed (only wish I had them at home). The decor, which we found out was hand picked by the owner, is gorgeous. The breakfast is made to order and we had plenty of time to sleep in, breakfast is served between 8 - 10 every morning. We particulary enjoyed the bikes and the close proximity of the village and restaurants. Didn't want to leave. Will definetly go back!

Canton, GA
Reviewed 23 September 2009

My wife and I were in need of some stress reduction, so we decided to get away for a couple of days and after doing some research on the web found the Ocean Lodge on St. Simons Island, Georgia. Without a doubt this was the most luxurious hotel we have ever stayed in. From the moment we walked into the elegantly appointed lobby until we left heading back to reality, everything was in one word, perfect.
The staff was courteous, very attentive and addressed our every need. The nightly turn down service spoiled us with the chocolate bar that was just the perfect sweet touch to the end of the day. And the beds were like sleeping on clouds. They had the most comfortable pillows I have every laid my head on. I could go on and on about the accommodations, the meals, the bikes, everything but not do real justice. I will say however that after four short days, my wife and I felt SO relaxed. We can’t wait to go back to the Ocean Lodge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#9 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!