“Awful!”
Review of The Sea Gate Inn

The Sea Gate Inn
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Arrived at the hotel to find absolutely NO parking! There is clearly not sufficient parking for this hotel. Then, could not even get near the elevator for the trash! Waited for the elevator repeatedly while staff continued to off load trash. Finally, told one of the housekeepers to go back upstairs and get off the elevator with her cart so that my daughter and I could go upstairs with our luggage. Later, I killed a small roach in the bathroom. But the ultimate insult was finding a bug in my bed and not a small one! Stayed at this hotel 3 years ago but will not stay here again after this experience. The place has not been maintained. The walls have large scuff marks and add the bugs, the parking situation and the rude employees and for $300. Per night , I can certainly stay somewhere else better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Carmel S
HodnettCooper, Manager at The Sea Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank your for your feedback. At the Sea Gate Inn, we pride ourselves on a beautiful facility and outstanding customer service. We certainly apologize for any deficiency in either area.

The Sea Gate Inn is a 24-room hotel with 24 covered parking spaces and 13 additional spaces. For guests traveling with more than one vehicle, we request they utilize only one covered space. Most of our guests comply with this request.

The Inn is treated for insects monthly. In addition to regular maintenance, we touch up paint in each suite twice yearly, or more often as needed.

The Sea Gate Inn has one elevator, which is utilized by the housekeeping staff as well as guests. To minimize guest impact, the housekeepers load carts to make a single trip between floors. We do apologize that you were inconvenienced or experienced any impolite employees.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I were in St. Simons to scout homes for a large family vacation in September. We were happy to find Sea Gate Inn. We enjoy having a condo setting instead of staying in a hotel room. We love having a kitchen and bedrooms separately. It is difficult finding a condo for a short visit. All prices included everything- no worry over clean up fees, etc. Our room was beautiful and clean. We walked to the village and restaurants. Wanda checked us in. She was wonderful. She would call me by name every time she saw me on the property, and she would always ask if there was anything she could do for us. We will definitely return to Sea Gate Inn.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynne605
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Sea Gate for a family wedding. What a wonderful location. Wanda checked us in she could not have been nicer. True Southern hospitality! We love her!

The inn was all we had hoped for and more. Beautiful room, great view, everything we need. We did not bring bicycles but they are a must here. Wanda helped us with bicycles.

We will come back and stay at the Sea Gate!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We loved this place! Our first trip to St. Simons, and we would love to stay here again. We had a standard King room with oceanview. The suite was huge, and very clean, and I am picky about that. A nice touch...we were late checking in, found our ck in packet easily, got to the room, and they had turned on the heat and several table lamps were turned on, making it very cozy upon arrival. Beautiful King size bed and bedroom with lots of windows, shutters and space. Nice bathroom arrangement with separate toilet, shower, jacuzzi tub, two separate sink areas, and a surprise laundry! Bed was extremely inviting and comfortable. Kitchen could have used a toaster oven and a little more room, but I'm not complaining. Very quiet rooms. View of ocean from balcony. It was close to perfect. Beach across the street was not great, but it was Feb so we were not expecting a beach trip. Go to Driftwood Bch on Jekell for some great photo ops. Staff before & during trip were very pleasant and helpful. Wish we could have stayed longer. Definitely recommend The Sea Gate Inn!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for a larger room or ocean view. Standard King suites were plenty big!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoinVA
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Finishing up our stay st Sea Gate Inn and it has been wonderful. We had a king suite with a nice balcony overlooking the beach equipped with a nice jacuzzi tub too !! Rooms look just as nice in person as they do online.......and they are NICE !! The bedroom is surrounded by windows that let in tons of sunlight.......its gorgeous !! You will probably need a car (def a bicycle) if you want to get to the shop right down the road but everything is really close. You must eat at Bubba Garcias ad you must visit the GA Sea Turtle Center !! I will def be staying at Sea Gate Inn during my next visit to St Simons Island !!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank TSTBlondie
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Sea Gate Inn. It's clean, modern and all the comforts of home. We will definitely be back. The view of the ocean while sitting on the terrace was great. The local town and delicious restuarants help make the long weekend complete. I would recommend this place. I can't wait to go back.

Lori Hendrix, Orlando Fl.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank likecleanhotels
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We just returned from a few days at The Sea Gate Inn. We arrived three hours before check-in time and were able to get into our suite. We had a deluxe king room, it was very tastefully decorated and extremely clean. The kitchen was small and when booking we should have realized there wasn't an oven, but we made out fine cooking on the stove. The bed was comfortable and my daughter said the pull out sofa was comfortable as well. We loved sitting on the balcony in the morning and evening, the oceanview was fantastic. I was a little disappointed to learn there was no beach until very late in the day when the tide was out but we found a nice spot on East Beach at the end of a dead end road that was very private. The pool was sparkling clean and had it to ourselves the entire stay. When I return to St Simons Island, I will stay here again, it is fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family