“Very pleasant stay”

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
knoxville, tn
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We spent a week in an ocean front room overlooking the pool and ocean. Very clean and comfortable beds. Small refrigerator for our use came in handy, as well as the DVD player. Very large tv was in the room, coffee was great, porches were a little small, but what a view! Bathroom was a little small, but all the amenities we needed. The staff was very pleasant, especially the staff cleaning the rooms. We didn't eat there or play golf, but we enjoyed a quiet, comfortable stay and would definitely recommend it. SSI is a small island, but has several great places to eat and several small gift shops.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bud S, Guest Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the King and Prince. We are glad you enjoyed your Ocean Front View room and the service of our staff during your visit. Please come again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Jesup, Georgia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very nice rooms, good service. Did not eat there...The beds especially were very comfortable. Nice amenities....Front Desk courteous...in room coffee was really good....Lobby was attractive....Pool was nice and the grounds were lovely and well cared for...

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank henlady169
We would like to thank you for not only staying with us but for taking the time to write about your experience at the King and Prince. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!!
St. Augustine, FL
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Before I begin with my review of the King & Prince, I should note that my 3-day stay on St. Simons Island was intended as a stress-relieving getaway and it marked a return visit to the island after roughly 15 years. I'm pleased to say that St. Simons has managed to retain much of the peacefulness, simple charm and friendliness I remembered it for -- in spite of the addition of many new homes and several upscale shopping enclaves.

The village itself appeared almost unchanged and I quickly spotted one of my all-time favorite breakfast joints, the Sandcastle Cafe, where, shortly after my morning arrival, I gorged myself on old-fashioned biscuits and gravy, sausage and eggs. Still operating as well is Southern Soul, where Pitmaster Harrison Sapp smokes up some of the best barbecue I've ever tasted. I indulged in lunch there on a mixed platter of succulent pulled pork, a big slab of ribs and all the "fixins."

Obviously needing to work off some excess calories, I spent the rest of my day in the village strolling the main drag, which is lined with shops and galleries, both quaint and classy. I also checked out the work of local artists and artisans at the Glynn Arts Association and then climbed 129 steps to the top of the historic 1872 lighthouse for a grand view of the village and surrounding marshlands. During my walkabout, I encountered a local tour guide, Cap Fendig, who operates the island's popular trolley tours. He suggested I sign on for a trip onboard the converted shrimp boat Lady Jane, which takes passengers out into the marshes to demonstrate traditional shrimping methods.

I do love shrimp and thinking it would be interesting to learn how they're caught, I drove over to the dock in Brunswick and joined a group for a 90-minute voyage onboard Lady Jane. I'm glad I did -- not only for the opportunity to cruise through the scenic marshes but also to watch the crew drag up nets full of shrimp, crabs and countless kinds of fish, dumping the contents on a large platform on the aft deck, where marine biologist Phil Fournay described it all in fascinating detail. The kids onboard went nuts over it and I must say I found the excursion extremely engaging and educational as well.

Ready to kick back and relax, I was content to spend the rest of my island stay in the regal surroundings of the King & Price, surprised to find that it is still St. Simons' only oceanfront lodging. The resort boasts a rich legacy, dating back to 1935. It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a member of Historic Hotels of America. The graceful Mediterranean-style main building was thoroughly restored in 2003 and the resort was further enhanced with the addition of an ocean-front pool area flanked by a wing of new rooms (the Oleander Building). The K&P also maintains a number of beachside villas and several stately old homes (read mansions) adjacent the hotel grounds that look to be ideal for large families or groups.

My room in the historic main building was smallish but elegantly appointed with period furnishings, a super sleep-inducing bed and all of the modern amenities, including high-speed internet and free WiFi. Best of all was the balcony overlooking the beach, where I spent a number of hours, lulled by the rolling waves and soaring seabirds.

I've always preferred small hotels for the intimacy and personal attention they offer and the K&P certainly typifies those qualities. The staff and management team is gracious, responsive and hands-on in going all out to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of every guest. During a conversation with General Manager Bud St. Pierre, I learned that further enhancement of the main building will be undertaken this winter with a complete renovation of the lobby area, including removal of the oddly out-of-place indoor pool and supplanting the King's Tavern restaurant with a new, as yet unnamed, restaurant. This is a good move, I think, because the lobby area seemed to me the resort's only real shortcoming.

I was expecting the food here to follow in the old Southern tradition but was pleased to find the menus of Chef Jason Brumfiel trending in a contemporary direction with emphasis on lean, fresh and organic fare -- while still keeping with Low Country/Southern convention. My favorite dish at the Ocean Terrace Restaurant, in fact, was shrimp and grits topped with a tasty tasso sauce and loaded with locally netted Georgia white shrimp,which are positively unmatched for flavor.

The chef and his staff are staunch advocates of the farm-to-table concept, sourcing produce, meats, poultry and dairy products almost exclusively from Georgia organic farms. I had the pleasure during the last night of my stay to join the debut session of Chef Brumfiel's Creative Cooking School, which invites guests to mix it up with the chef and his crew to create a dinner for all to enjoy. Our group produced (from scratch) a "Southern Classic" feast including fresh vegetable stew, pecan-crusted chicken, fried green tomatoes, old-fashioned cornbread and a peach bread pudding. Then we proceeded to eat every bite of it.

There's much more I could say about the King & Prince, but in wrapping up this already long-winded review, I do have to add that the resort features a full-service spa and a highly regarded 18-hole golf course -- but since I came here simply to chill out and surrender to the tranquility of the place -- I didn't make use of either facility. All the more reason to return, which I can hardly wait to do.

Room Tip: For romance or nostalgia, by all means choose a room in the historic main building; for quick access...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dave H
Bud S, Guest Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for choosing The King and Prince as your getaway destination. We are proud of our facility and are glad that you had a great experience at the resort. We are very thankful for your kind comments concerning our facility and staff. It is an honor to serve you and we look forward to your next visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Had a wonderful Labor Day weekend at St. Simons in 2013. Friendly staff, food is not the best on the island and the hotel is in need of a little repair, however there was enough for our son to do at the hotel to overcome the food issue.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bud S, Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for gracious comments regarding our wonderful staff and location. You will be interested to know that we agree with you comments that we could use some updating of the facilities. We will be undergoing a remodiling of our kitchen and restaurant spaces this winter. This update will usher in a new era of contemporary food and service here at the King and Prince.
Again, we appreciate your time as well as the opportunity to serve you as we continually strive to improve.
Thank you!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The beautiful King and Prince Hotel on St. Simons is the island's only beachfront property and the perfect place to experience one of Georgia's Golden Isles. The accommodations are lovely and the staff is friendly and efficient. I didn't encounter a single employee who failed to smile and say hello. Guests can even bring pets up to 25 pounds.

Chef Jason Brumfiel is rolling out a new farm-to-table menu with plenty of options for vegetarians and vegans, in addition to yummy Southern traditions like shrimp and grits and Frogmore stew. New Orleans style pralines contain a surprise -- bacon -- that adds tang and a little salt to the sweet candy and the muffins are to-die for.

Will I return? You can bet on it!

Room Tip: The spacious villa rooms on the first floor of the historic portion open to the beach and have a sit...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bud S, Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. We are indeed fortuante that our staff enjoy working here at The King and Prince and it shows! Also, we are excited to see Chef Bromfiel bringing local farm fresh items to our menu. The next time you are here you should ask to speak with him as he loves talking about our farming partners.
We appreciate your time and kindness.
Thank you!
Newtown,Pa
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel in a king oceanfront room in the historic building. The view from our room was beautiful! The room was nicely decorated to match the period of the building. The lobby is somewhat dated but neat. The down size is an indoor pool and hot tub located right by the front desk. The lobby smells strongly of chlorine. The outside pool area is very nice and would be enhanced if the hot tub was located there. The grounds are well maintained and there is easy access to the beach where many activities can be enjoyed. We did not eat on the property but did go to the bar one evening. The bar area needs some updating and the bartender on duty on a Saturday night was not skilled in basic cocktails. We will definitely return to the hotel to enjoy its convenient access around the island !

Room Tip: If you do decide to choose accommodations in the historic building the third floor has the best view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bud S, Guest Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write regarding your experience at our resort and am pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. I also wanted to tell you that we are completing the renovation of our main lobby this winter along with other areas that need to be updated. Thank you for your visit and come back very soon.
Madison, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were beyond impressed with our stay at the King and Prince! The staff are extremely professional and friendly, and check-in was a breeze. I loved our room, with its beautiful furnishings and decorations. There was plenty of room in our king oceanfront and lots of storage space for clothes etc. The view was superb, with a great balcony that we spent a lot of time on just listening to and watching the ocean. We felt completely at home during our entire stay thanks to the nice room and excellent staff. We even received a complementary bottle of champagne shortly after our arrival because the concierge knew that we were celebrating our honeymoon. From our room in the oceanfront building we were literally steps to both the pool and the beach. The pool area, as well as the entire resort, were extremely well-kept and constantly cleaned. The beach on St. Simons is gorgeous, the nicest, cleanest, and prettiest beach I've ever seen in the US. The King and Prince is on the best location on the island, only a minute or two to the best dining and shopping venues and the pier and lighthouse. The entire island is gorgeous and fun to explore with its live oaks and beautiful houses. We've already recommended the King and Prince to several of our friends and family and we plan on making the King and Prince our regular vacation destination for years to come.

Room Tip: We stayed on a third floor king in the oceanfront building, which provided a great view of the ocean...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to write regarding your experience at our resort and am pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We are so grateful for your kind words concerning the service of our staff and facility. It is an honor to serve you and we look forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 8 in Jekyll Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 8 in Jekyll Island

Been to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!