“Good But Could Be Soooo Much Better With Sooo Little”

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
Atlanta
“Good But Could Be Soooo Much Better With Sooo Little”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were in the ocean front rooms right by the pools so the below applies to those rooms only.

THINGS YOU WANT TO KNOW UP FRONT:

1. Hair dryer located on top of safe in closet
2. Large in-room safe (works by digital number pad)
3. Plenty of electrical outlets (be sure and check the base of the lamps, they have 1 or 2 plugs on them)
4. Coffee maker with (Starbucks regular and decaf, herbal and breakfast teas)
5. Comfortable beds
6. Large Flat screen TV
7. In-room refrigerator (it fits quite a few bottles of water and soda and I even squeezed a ½ gallon of milk in the door)
8. Amenities, shampoo, body lotion, conditioner, NO bath cap
9. Air conditioning worked very well and is adjustable
10. Ceiling fan
11. Sleeper sofa
12. Ice machine on floors 2 and 4 only
13. Soda and snack machines located near the entrance to the pool
14. No turn down service but excellent chocolates left when the room is cleaned
15. NO makeup mirror (I have to bring my own from home)
16. VERY DIM LIGHTING OVER MAKEUP VANITY
17. Large closet with hangers
18. Iron and Ironing board
19. Full length mirror
20. Makeup vanity area outside of the bathroom (stool is way too low – I had to sit on 2 pillows to be able to use the vanity properly)
21. Umbrella’s at the pool to provide shade (see discussion below for more information)
22. Extra pillow and blanked is located on the shelf in the closet.
23. Upper floors have a balcony with 2 chairs and a little table. The balcony is lighted and the switch is to the light is on the wall next to the desk.
24. Bottom floor has a walkout to the pool. It has a child safety gate from each room to access the pool.
25. Elevator is available to access floors 2 – 4. You can also use stairs on either side of the floors
26. Outdoor lunch area - they've added a patio area for additional seating for lunch service. The tables have umbrellas and the area is quite nice.
27. No microwave oven
28. Rain umbrella is provided and located in the closet
29. They offered activities for the children in the afternoon

DISCUSSION:

1. One day our room did not get cleaned until late in the afternoon.
2. Our room was not available upon our arrival late in the afternoon
3. Seriously, STILL NO Makeup Mirror – What striving for 5-Star resort doesn’t have makeup mirrors in their rooms. According to the front desk, they had been requested by many guests who were coming for the meeting we were attending. I’ve written about and requested mirrors for 7 years now and still nothing! I still have to bring my own from home. King and Prince are you listening?!
4. BEWARE There are not enough umbrellas to go around. One day we left briefly to get a sandwich for lunch leaving our belongings on the chairs. When we returned our umbrella had been pilfered. Someone else requested an umbrella and the pool staff simply gave them ours. I complained and the staff found us another one (probably pilfered from someone else eating lunch). There is very little shade at the pool so the umbrellas are needed. This is however, a vast improvement from 7 years ago where they had no umbrellas and no shade. At that time I had to bring my own umbrella. Well at least I’m down to just bringing the lighted makeup mirror.
5. Last year the wait staff at the pool fell all over themselves to be of assistance. They were giving out cups with lemon and ice water to everyone. One day they even brought around free iced tea. I was always asked if I needed water or ice and the waiter was pleasant and helpful. However this year NOTHING. They had an ice water stand set up but it was a do it yourselfer.
6. There was an unkown stain on the blue decorative coverlet and there were stains on the carpet. Otherwise the mattress, mattress pad and other furniture were very clean. I completely checked this out to the point of pealing back the sheets to check out the mattress and mattress pad checking for bedbugs or stains.

NOW FOR SOME IMPROVEMENTS SINCE OUR LAST VISIT.

1. Over the winter they took out the indoor pool and added a very nice bar with booths and sitting areas. The entire lobby was redone and is beautiful.
2. They added more tables to the outdoor restaurant and added an outside bar where you can order takeout food. Nicely done!

CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR THE HOTEL:

1. Be a sport and purchase more umbrellas. The guests are tired of fighting over them.
2. Please, Please put lighted makeup mirrors in the rooms and change out the stools to something height appropriate.
3. It would be nice to have a couple of bottles of FREE water in the refrigerator upon arrival.
4. Please put bath caps back in the bathrooms.

The room rates have been going up every year typically by $10 and they are going up again next year by $5 per day next year. After 7 years that adds up to quite a bit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Mylisa1
Bud S, Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide potential guests with a complete list of room amenties.
I am certain this will be very beneficial to many.We are working diligiently to improve time delays with Housekeeing and are presently making great strides. We have made our Food & Beverage Deparment aware of your concerns regarding pool service. Thank you so much for your continued patronage and we hope to see you again next year.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Decatur, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Each year "the girls" take a sister trip. This year we were blessed to have mom join us as she was celebrating her 80th birthday. When I suggested the King and Prince, everyone jumped at the opportunity. We arrived early on our check in date, and were greeted with Lemonaide and Lemon Cookies. From that moment, on things got BETTER AND BETTER. They checked us in, however our villa was not ready, so we had lunch at Echo....WONDERFUL FOOD AND SERVICE. When our Villa was ready it was like walking into someone's home. Beautifully decorated, bright and sunny. During our stay we did have a problem with a ceiling fan and TV in the bedroom, but within a very short period of time the issues were addressed and fixed. Everyone we ran into had a smile and their face and always extended a warm hello. I cannot imagine staying at any other place when on St. Simons Island.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen N
Bud S, Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your "girls weekend". Those are special memories that last a lifetime. The lemon cookies are delicious. We hope that you will join us again soon for another special weekend.
Sylacauga, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

In my opinion, this was the best place to stay on St. Simon's. I had debated on a few choices and I am glad I chose The King and Prince. It was beach front, very clean and updated. There was a bar and restaurant at the hotel. We stayed in the Historic Building on the second floor. You could sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean view or you are just steps from the beach! We journeyed to Jekyll Island, where I had considered staying, and I would not recommend it, if you are trying to decide.

Room Tip: The Historic Building was very private.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

From the moment I checked in, all my cares disappeared and all of my needs were met. The room was perfect for.a single traveler. I had a view of the ocean. From my room to the ocean was about 3 minutes. There are swings along the beach pathway that are great for just watching the ocean. The restaurant, Echo, was wonderful and prices were very reasonable. What impressed me the most was the service. The front desk was courteous and efficient, but more importantly very friendly. Housekeeping was friendly and fulfilled all of my little requests. The staff at Echo were the best. Young and friendly and very polite. This was a wonderful vacation for me. I would recommend The King & Prince to everyone and I look forward to going back this fall with my daughter!

Room Tip: The historic building is on the beach. That is where I stayed and will stay in the future. The who...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dbyeomans,

We are so glad that your vacation was refreshing and relaxing!
We hope that you will consider us again when you decide to get away.

Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The King and Prince resort has a magical location -it is right on the beach making it an absolutely delightful vacation destination. We were there for 4 nights and it was fantastic. We arrived there on the 4th of July. The check in was a breeze. The door man brought all our luggage to our room and also gave my 3 year old a ride on the luggage trolley and some chocolates as well.

Our room was awesome. we were in the Ocean Front room with balcony in the History building - to sleep with the balcony door open to hear the waves lulling us to sleep was bliss.

The lobby is beautiful - it looked like a colonial era bungalow. The beach is just fantastic - they have beach chairs and umbrellas that we could rent - we had a blast swimming in the ocean, building sand castles, flying kites, etc. The swimming pools are very well maintained. They have a lovely kiddie pool which my 3 year old loved.

The swing sets facing the ocean was beautiful - an absolute delight to rock in it at night hearing the waves and seeing the ocean glisten under the moonlight. We ate at the Echo restaurant (separate review)

We were all so sad when our vacation ended. My son was in tears and he did not want to leave - the doorman went into the restaurants and brought him some chocolates.

The one improvement I would suggest is that they could add a few more showers for folks coming from the beach to clean up before entering the hotel.

All in all it was a memorable vacation, impeccable service, fantastic views and memories for a lifetime - I am sure we will be back.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Historic Ocean Front Building are amazing - pay the extra dollar and get the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The swings overlooking the ocean are absolutely delightful and one of our favorite features.
We hope you will come back to visit us again in the near future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

How any other resort or hotel on St. Simons Island could be rated higher than the King and Prince is beyond me. The quality of the King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort is beyond compare. The lobby and public areas were a gorgeous welcome for what promised to be a glorious stay. The reception staff was friendly, helpful, and incredibly efficient. We stayed in an oceanfront suite in the historic building with a spectacular view of the beach and ocean. The sounds of the lapping waves was music to my ears. The numerous pools throughout the resort looked very welcoming but the available beach chairs and umbrella directly on the beach called. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and drinks at Echo restaurant overlooking the ocean. The beach is flat and available for a pleasant beach walk even at high tide. Our suite was exceptionally comfortable and large. My only complaint is that I can't live there permanently!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the King and Prince.
The sound of the waves is truly relaxing and the beach is perfect for walking.
We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Merritt Island, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We take a family vaction every summer. We went to Saint Simon Island. I had mixed feeling. I had heard such good things about this whole area. I was un-impressed. The resort only had one resturant and it was bad. We had a villa, which was a 2 bedroom house. We tried the laundry machine and it was so loud it was ueslest. The resort was just a little worn. The elevators were smelly, so we used the stairs to reach the third floor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kymm I
We apologize that you were not able to relax and enjoy your recent visit to the resort.
We have taken all of your comments under consideration and will work to improve in these areas.
We sincerely hope that this does not deter you from future visits.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 8 in Jekyll Island

Been to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!