“Charming inn, private, great location, not for everyone.”

Village Inn and Pub
Pittsburgh, PA
“Charming inn, private, great location, not for everyone.”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We knew what we were getting - in the Village of St Simon's, close to everything, walk everywhere...NOT a resort location at the beach! We were concerned after reading about the dour, unhelpful concierge but found wonderful Wanda! She was very sweet, helpful, and pleasant...In town for 3 nights for a wedding, but found time to explore Jeckyl Island by car and enjoyed it so much went back the next day to rent bikes and pedal around the island! Amenities were as expected, nice linens, even had biore make-up remover pads, nice for us but also saved their white washcloths and towels...pool very small, but nice for sitting around with a book and your morning coffee. Looks like it's been there forever, but built within the last 7-8 years around an original beach cottage. Nice continental breakfast with make your own waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, juices, muffins, etc. BUT if you want a beach experience check out the King and Prince Condos...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Their website gave me the impression it was a resort hotel with pool and amenities. It is a little hotel on a main street across from the Dairy Queen with no view and a tiny pool that would be 3 strokes, except it has a permanent rope across the center. That said, the rooms are lovely with high ceilings, balconies, wonderful robes and soap. Unfortunately, there is an airconditioning unit in each room that is so noisy I did not sleep for 2 nights. The pub is a gas. While small, it has very friendly bar tenders, very friendly enthusiatic locals and visiting crowd, good wines, too much use of pre-made lemon sour mix in its mixed drinks, but lots of fun nonetheless. It is 2 blocks to "the Pier" and close to everything. My room faced the street and their was no noise at night that penetrated the air conditioning unit, however, school was already back in session in mid-Aug and all the crowds were gone. If I was a really sound sleeper, I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My friend and I went on a tour bus trip and stayed at the Village Inn and Pub and I thought the place was really charming. I loved the look of the Inn (not your average hotel look) with big old oak trees dripping with Spanish moss. We stayed Mon. through Thurs. so we didn't have to contend with the noise from the pub that some people complained about. Our room was perfect for us--right beside the pool and we didn't find it that noisy. I liked the breakfast; granted it was nothing fancy but there were a lot of choices and excellent coffee cake each morning. I liked the help staff who worked at the breakfast each morning, she was very friendly. The location to town and all of the restaurants was great--you could walk just about anywhere in about 5 minutes. I would love to go back and stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009
SC
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The room was spacious(we got a suite), but on the street front and next to the on-site Village Pub. The downside of the "and Pub" was live music until late night; the upside is a nice spot for a drink or good music. Make sure you get a room away from the music if you plan an early (or not late anyhow) evening. We kept the air running, which was another problem - very drafty.

The location was great, right next to the village; walk easily to shopping, restaurants, the lighthouse. museum, community dock.

The "deluxe continental breakfast " was only deluxe if your standard is the Motel 8 on Route 95. The highlight was do it yourself waffles, which weren't bad. Don't expect a B&B experience! And don't expect the internet access to work o the staff to be able to help you.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmales
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We stayed three nights at the Village Inn after getting married on neighboring Jekyll Island last summer. My parents have a house on St. Simons so I am down there all the time but my husband and I wanted some place nice and private to spend our first few nights as a married couple. The Village Inn was perfect for us. It's a very charming place with lots of character and nicely decorated rooms (good bedding, nice bathrooms). There is a small pool (chilly!) but quite pretty with lots of old trees with Spanish moss around the courtyard. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the pool area where it was very nice to sip our wine in the afternoon. As others have noted, the Pub at the Inn is a great, cozy place to grab a drink. I go there everytime I'm in St. Simons which is about 6 times a year. I can see where certain rooms near the pub could be a little noisy at night- particularly on summer nights in the weekend, the Pub gets a decent crowd that spills out into the pool courtyard that most of the rooms face. Our room was on the second floor at the far end of the property so we didn't have a problem. The Village Inn is located in , you guessed it, "the Village" with plenty of shops and restaurants to walk too. You have to drive or bike to the beach- only about 1.5 miles which is not a big deal- especially b/c you can just rent beach chairs once you get there. If you're looking for a place with some ambiance, not just another beach resort hotel room, this is the place for you!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redtravel13
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here the last weekend of February 2009 - just before the in-season rates took effect. This Inn reminds me of a European B&B - small rooms and baths and no elevators. The check-in process was fast but the clerk was not very friendly and she went thru the list of dos and don'ts (mostly don'ts) without any humor. There was no offer of help with luggage. The only contact we had with staff personnel after check in was when I went in the office to ask about a restaurant recommendation and was waved off as she was too busy to help me. We were on the second floor in a room with 2 balconies next to the street - not very nice view but we enjoyed being able to sit outside since the weather was nice.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a quiet place. They have a large crowd on Thursday and Friday nights in the pub because of "live" entertainment and it's very noisy.

On the plus side, the Inn is a short walk to restaurants and shopping in the small village.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 October 2008

A friend and I stayed here for one night in mid-October on a trip up the Georgia coast. The Inn looks nice and is conveniently located to a small shopping district near the pier. We enjoyed the $3 drinks at the bar in the evening and the Inn also had live music that evening. Breakfast was fine. We had a room facing the pool and the noise in the courtyard definitely carried a bit. We appreciated the ceiling fan in the room. I do think that the weekend prices are too steep for the accommodations offered, but the weeknight ones are probably reasonable.

• Liked — the hotel looks nice and was very clean
  • Disliked — the noise from the courtyard/pool area
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends