“17 min and no service.”

The Lodge at Sea Island
bqk
“17 min and no service.”
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

My fiance planned my birthday on Sea Island as a weekend for just the two of us. We are locals so we wanted the experience, I guess you could say. We stayed at the Cloister that provides very lavish lodgings and service is exceptional. We took the shuttle to the Lodge for some views and supper to change things up a bit. We waited at the Oak Room door for 5-10 min and finally sat ourselves. Once at the table, another ten min went by and no "how are you this evening", "can I get you a glass of wine", or even a menu... this is Sea Island, the purported pinnacle of upscale service and history known worldwide.

Now I know this is probably the only negative review on this establishment, but when you already have over 3000$ on our tab for the weekend, you would think a little extra mile service would come into play. Like I said, we are locals, and I can get us better service, say at a huddle house. My fuse ran short because she wanted a nice weekend for the two of us, and we were totally let down by our own five star resort in our own back yard.

I can't speak on the Cloister enough though, as the stellar service and smiles are abundant!!!!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank joelcody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I just wanted to give everyone a head's up that I will be reviewing a property, that if you are like me would be a place you could never afford. However, once a year, my two sons, a son-in-law and I travel to a golf resort to play 72 holes in two days. We have been to Scottsdale, AZ, Austin, TX, Las Vegas, NV and now Sea Island, GA.

I will let you all know about the accommodations, food, the courses and more as soon as I return.

I gave The Lodge a five star rating just so I could post this. I will either leave at five start or lower the rating after my visit.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim R
Marietta, Ga
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This newly renovated property has kept the charm and opulence of days gone by. Very spacious and extremely comfortable rooms With views, wonderful bath suites, exquisite bedding and impeccable staff. Take advantage of the many other island dining options and steer clear of the really sub par and pricey restaurant. Pretty awful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Diana777
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

This is a great place. Wonderful service. Food was great and golf was too. I'd return here in a heartbeat.

Loved the person playing the bagpipes each evening by the ocean. We had fantastic service each evening in the restaurant as well. Such great southern charm throughout the facilities.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Tjwilson11
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have been coming to Sea Island (The Lodge) for several years for New Years's. Each year we feel like we are back home. The Lodge is warm and friendly and everyone is so hospitable. The food at the restaurants is great and the golf is wonderful (so says my husband).

I go to the Spa and have taken classes in the fitness center.

Being at Sea Island is a great tradition.

Room Tip: We like Rooms 3 and 29. Great views of Hole 18 of Plantation course and bay.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Had a great time; a great resort, with lots to do for all the family. Beautifully laid out, and right on the beach. But, for the extra cost of staying here we found the service lacking: waiting staff were almost non-existent, food service was intermittent, pools were a couple of degrees too cool, we had to call room service almost daily for things that had run out in the rooms.
Overall I would recommend staying; hopefully the service shortfalls will be resolved.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Bobtdiver
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We recently rented a cottage at Sea Island, and had a very memorable Christmas there. The house was huge and beautifully decorated, equipped with every last thing we could need. The service from the resort was top-notch - every inquiry handled promptly, every need met. We enjoyed having space to spread out, and loved being able to go to the Cloister. (Cottage rentals include resort privileges.) Upon arrival, we received a large insulated tote with "swag" - cups, food, scented candle, writing paper, car decal - and I know we'll enjoy using the bag and remembering a wonderful holiday at Sea Island. The Cloister was beautifully decorated for Christmas and had a wide array of activities and special meals and gatherings available. We enjoyed having drinks and walking around - it really is spectacular. We did not eat in the restaurants but the only 5-star restaurant in Georgia is there. We hope to go back again. Very pricey but perfect for a special occasion.

Room Tip: All the cottages are beautiful - you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island

Been to The Lodge at Sea Island? Share your experiences!