“Romantic, cozy getaway”

The Lodge at Sea Island
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I just had to respond to the previous reviewer who felt that the Lodge would not be a romantic place to stay. I must heartily disagree! My husband and I have come here every year for the past 4 years, specifically to relax and reconnect. It is SO much more low key at the Lodge compared to the Cloister, and a much smaller venue which makes it automatically more cozy and romantic. The location is much less frenetic than the Cloister, with fewer children by far. If you are wanting to enjoy the advantages of the Cloister's fabulous spa or the more formal restaurant, it is only a 15 minute drive away, either by your own car or the Lodge van which drives between the facilities every 30 minutes like clockwork. The Cloister area has also added significantly to its family oriented beachfront lodging and has begun a massive condominium complex which I feel completely destroys any sense of comfort, peace and romance whatsoever. If it is romance you want, try the Lodge!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2009

This is the most amazing place I've ever stayed. The room was beautiful, the service was impeccable, the food was delicious--everything was perfect. My husband loved the golf. The spa was wonderful and luxurious, although SUPER expensive and not necessarily so much better than any other nice resort spa. We can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed at the Lodge at Sea Island for a 4 day Golf vacation on our way to Amelia Island for the holidays. The golf package was a great value for money, eventhough expensive. The room was the size of a suite and was very comfortable and well appointed. The bath was luxurious. We had a waterfront room with balcony. Lovely.
The golf courses were in excellent condition. The greens had no ball marks. The courses weren't overly crowded and we had flexibility in tee times and were able to play in 3 hours. There are currently only 2 of the 3 courses open.
This is a great location for a golf vacation. I wouldn't recommend this location for a romantic or girlfriends trip. I would recommend the facility at the Cloisters down the road.
At the lodge there are limited eating facilties and the fitness facility is in a small room. There is no real spa here. Have to go to the Clositers if you want the full treatment.
For us this was a great treat and we plan to do it again!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2008

My family (my wife and I, my parents and my wife's mother who are in their early 60s, and my wife's grandmother (mid 80's)) went to Sea Island Resort for 6 days for Christmas 2007. I know it sounds like a motley crew of all ages but the six of us had a great time. Some of us have been there before and enjoyed it just as much this time. My wife and I and my parents rented a 4 bedroom cottage (house) on Sea Island while her mother and grandmother stayed in a room at the Cloister. First off everything is expensive so make your peace with that before you even decide to go. The newly redone Cloister is very nice and had great amenties and a wonderful feel. Several times when I would ask for assistance with my Grandmother in law I would get a response from the staff that they "were new here" and would get someone who knew exactly how to take care of my problem. We got the impression that several folks were new and I guess at a resort like Sea Island that is their biggest problem is keeping the trained staff there so that turnover doesn't sour someone's experiance. The four of us who stayed in the cottage very much liked having a house (which costs the same per night as a room at the Cloister of the Lodge) where we could have more space and not feel weird for walking out of our bedroom in our pajamas. If I were doing it again I would definitely do the cottage over the Cloister or the Lodge because you get to use all of the amenties regardless of where you stay.

We ate in 100 Hudson, Colt & Allison, the beach club, and at the River bar and enjoyed them all. Again, expensive but very good with great atmosphere and views at some. Our favorite thing to do was to head over to the Lodge at sunset and hear the bagpiper play while having cocktails and snacks. It's truly a great experiance and fun time together.

My father and I played the Seaside course which was fantastic and also shot trap at the shooting school which were both very glad we did one morning. My wife and I played tennis and she also enjoyed the spa for half a day.

Sea Island, The Cloister, and The Lodge are truly great places and I'm glad that they're still here for families to enjoy. Are there cheaper places that do very close to the same thing, yes, but that is for each person to decide where they place their priorities. I'm sure we'll go back to Sea Island sometime, but I can say that there are things there (as there are at every nice resort) that I will never forget and I think that is what you go for.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank kbgunter1
Reviewed 29 December 2007

There is no way that words can do justice to the wonderful experience that we had at the Lodge. From the begining when we were introduced to the butler who attnded to our every need to the end when we painlessly checked out the whole expereince was wonderful. The rooms are subperb with more than ample room and great bathrooms. The attention to detail is amazing. The golf was spectacular. I wish we could have stayed longer. The staff made you feel welcome at every opportunity. We will make it a tradition to come back every Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JALeklem
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Although extremely expensive, Sea Island boasts with southern charm. We had a great time playing the Seaside links three days in a row. It truly is a lovely and challenging course. However, the food was good but not excellent and the service was sometimes overbearing.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Wandering_Golfer
Reviewed 28 August 2007

This was our second visit to a Sea Island property for a business meeting (our first was last year, to the Cloister). Again, extraordinary service in an unforgettable seaside location. The Lodge has a smaller, more intimate feel than the Cloister, and the decor (not to my taste, but very comfortable) has a darker, more masculine palette than that of the Cloister. The bathroom is a pleasure palace. The level of comfort here is very high and the service is gracious and quick.. Food is wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nannarella
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Lodge at Sea Island? Share your experiences!