“The best of St. Simon's”
Review of The Half Shell

The Half Shell
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We're a casual, family friendly restaurant with contemporary coastal American cuisine. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
Reviewed 25 June 2018

If you are looking for the best that St. Simon's has to offer in a casual dining environment than look no further than Half Shell at The Pier. Tift Rankin the owner is an amazing chef who puts his creative spin on the freshest seafood. Not only is the food great the staff is also top notch!!

1  Thank TerryK1054

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Had good drinks (margaritas) and a tasty meal here. The waiter was really great. Wish I remembered his name. Sat outside to enjoy the weather, so not sure about the inside of the place. Had fried shrimp, very good. It is located in the little village area of St Simons, which is typically tourist-geared, but still a nice walk around and browse area with a pier. But Half Shell is better than a lot of restaurants in touristy areas. Better than the restaurant next door to it.

1  Thank Iamscully
Reviewed 23 June 2018

We went here with our son and daughter in law on Father's Day night. The restaurant wasn't as crowded as we thought it might be for a holiday, but we got there around 5. We were seated promptly and drink orders were taken quickly. Our server told us about happy hour and special dishes of the day. We ordered a half dozen lime and garlic steamed oysters and calamari. We only ordered a half dozen oysters because only two of us said we liked them, but soon all four were eating them. They were plump and tender and gone very quickly. The calamari was also very good and came with fried cilantro and a orange-wasabi marmalade. The cilantro was unique, and the marmalade went well with the perfectly fried calamari. My son was enjoying some of the local tap beers and the ladies had cocktails as we finished off the appetizers. The main courses came out quickly, and they were spot on just as the appetizers had been. My wife had the shrimp plate with onion rings. The shrimp were lightly dusted with cornmeal and tasted great. She enjoyed the onion rings as well. My daughter in law had the open-faced tuna tacos, which she also enjoyed. My son went for his usual, the shrimp and grits, and said they were as good as any he has had anywhere. I had the blue crab cakes with sides of bacon wrapped green beans and sweet chili slaw. The crab cakes were packed with crab and very little breading, very flavorful. The absolute best thing I put in my mouth that day were the bacon wrapped green beans, yes, I am serious. The have some kind of smoky sweet glaze on them that is out of this world! Every bite was nirvana. When you have to fight people off your side dish, you know you chose well. The slaw had some heat and was made with purple cabbage. For dessert, we all tried the only thing on the menu, the butter cake. It is very good, but we all had a good laugh when it came out and we realized it was a dish that my wife makes on her own. The atmosphere is casual and laid back, and we enjoyed the excellent, unique dishes, and attentive service that made it all a very enjoyable visit.

2  Thank PAboyinFL
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend eating at this quaint restaurant! Be prepared to wait, it is fairly small but well worth it. Every entree we got was delicious and the service was great! Make sure you save room for dessert! Everyone is still talking about the Gooie Butter Cake! Oh so good!

1  Thank Lynne P
Reviewed 20 June 2018

You MUST eat at least one meal here while on the island. It's hidden gem in a great location. Always something new on the menu, and can't get enough of the appetizer options!

1  Thank springfield21