The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$132
US$312
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$167
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
US$183
Hotels.com
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
US$217
US$212
Ocean Lodge(Saint Simons Island)
US$210
The Inn at Sea Island(Saint Simons Island)
US$226
US$221
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$185
Hotwire.com
Ocean Inn and Suites(Saint Simons Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbug spraybird watchingorganic gardenhelen housecocktail hourcedar housenature loversbeach combingflora and faunaunique placeshore birdsnatural beautythree meals a daybaby turtlesfishing gearall inclusive vacationsocial hour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This trip was selected by my college roommate and me for our first reunion. Having traveled to exotic locales several times I feel qualified to offer my critique. Due to the reviews I read, awards touted and other recommendations, my expectations were high. This is a summary of my experience over six days.

RAVES: Stacia, the head naturalist (only there two days a week, I am told) who's excitement and enthusiasm for everything natural should be duplicated by the others. The SETTING: perfect for nature enthusiasts and lots of opportunity to experience many aspects of the island. The EQUIPMENT: pickups outfitted for safaris, kayaks, bicycles, fishing rods and bait (extra for a fishing license), and motorized skiffs; REFRESHMENTS: the cocktail hour, as well as the beverages provided at the beach, in the cottages, and in the main lodge. Lovely cookies available afternoon and evening.

I was gratified to see the painted buntings at the feeder off our deck almost daily. The sea turtle nest excavation was a highlight since we were able to cheer four baby loggerhead turtles into the surf and on their way! I also admired the attempts to conserve natural resources and grow organic vegetables.

DISAPPOINTMENTS: Buildings: RUSTIC! Some color would go a long way toward adding cheer, especially at night and on rainy days. Rooms were spacious but drab. On the plus side beds were comfortable. iI found it was dark and quiet at night (flashlights were provided) providing a restful environment. Ceiling fans added comfort. The porches and decks help one get close to nature and enjoy water views.

FOOD: Left much to be desired by this writer, as I am health conscious. Many of the menus were not healthful due to being fried (I requested low fat) and MUCH too SALTY. Salt wasn't just taste but also the health effects that I experienced. My ankles became so swollen that I lost sleep worrying what other effects it might have on my health (high blood pressure?). I did speak with the sous chef about this when she was in charge, and she appeared to adjust the overall amount of salt used. However, my ankles did not recover until three days after my return home. With salt shakers on the table, in my opinion, there is no excuse for over salting the food, even the vegetables.

Value: It seemed to be very pricy, over $600 a day for the two of us while others had much better deals for shorter periods of time. However, I realize that a large staff is needed, some unseen, and accommodations provided for them, as well as ours. We did receive a unique and memorable experience for our money, and it was a great reunion.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Phyl38
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Although reviewed in Forbes magazine, very few Georgians know about this special lodge on a private island. If you are a birder, fisherman, or love secluded beaches, this is a special place for nature and environmentally conscious recreation.

Room Tip: The River and Cedar Lodges have a good set up with four rooms facing a common room. Private and luxurious at the same time.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lillyatl
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This place was pretty unique! I don't think there are many places like it. It was very beautiful! Our room was very interesting. It made you feel like you were taking a trip to the past, but still had the amenities of today.

The beach, though two miles away from resort, was very nice. During low tide, you can search for shells and sand dollars. The difference in tides is quite amazing too.

The resort has many activities they offer. Each day they schedule a few different ones, but if you want to do something else, they are very accommodating. If you don't feel like walking or biking somewhere on the island, they will drive you there. They offer nature walks/drives, fishing, and you can even take your own small boat out on your own. We spent most time on the beach.

Our worst experience with this trip was the bugs. Within minutes of arriving to the island, I was bitten by mosquitoes at least 5 times. I know this is something that is out of their control, but just take note about this if you don't like bugs. We also had some issues with bugs in our room, and this included a very large cockroach. We decided not to complain about this, as we figured it was probably inevitable, and very hard to control due to the type of structure we were staying in, as well as all the surrounding nature.

Our best experience with this trip was the food. Each meal is spent family style around big tables with all of the rest of the visitors (no more than 30 some). You can get to know everyone else, though this was a difficult experience for us because we were much younger than most of the others. The food was amazing! If you have any food issues, the staff is very accommodating to make sure you have a extraordinary meal every time.

Oh, and that reminds me. The staff gets an A+. Very awesome! I remember thinking to myself, "southern hospitality at its finest!" Great job guys!

Room Tip: Make sure you are ok with bugs. There are a TON of them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank choshock
Reviewed 21 September 2012

A visit to this island is unlike anything else I have done. It is a rare and wonderful treat to explore a barrier island that is completely unspoiled. The staff naturalists provide various "adventure" options to help guests experience the island and learn about its unique eco system.

We took advantage of birding, fishing, kayaking , beach exploration and night beach walk adventures. We also biked to the beach on our own for some private beach time.

Rooms are comfortable ... I'd call it upscale rustic. Meals are fabulous. Fresh local food prepared but a first rate chef. Wonderful cocktail hour every night at 6. Great chance to relax after a busy day of adventures and t get to know the staff and the other guests.

Yes, there are plenty of bugs.The lodge provides plenty of bug spray and sun screen although on my next visit I will bring my own Deep Woods type spray. Don't let the prospect of a few bites deter you from this magical place .

I can't remember the last time I went away and completely forgot all about the stresses of everyday life. A stay at this lodge is truly vacation !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012

If you want to get an education on the Georgia Coast and the rich biomass the area offers, LSSI is your place. Lots of wonderful educational opportunities by naturalists who all clearly want to be there and share (and add to) their knowledge. We went at the end of August and the mosquitoes were as bad as we thought they would be....BUT, it's not a big deal because they have excellent repellent everywhere, head nets, and we were prepared with the right clothing. The perfect clothing for this island is the Columbia long-sleeved "fishing" shirts and zip off pants. We needed a set for each day (but there are washers and dryers you may use and the shirts are for sale at a very reasonable price in the Lodge store). Water socks are a good thing to bring for the ocean and other activities. I had some insect-repellent socks I bought at Orvis that would have been perfect for the trip had I remembered to bring them. Bring covered shoes you can wear during the daytime (instead of just sandals).
The entire staff is very friendly and accommodating. Matthew, the head Chef, prepares excellent (and surprisingly healthy) meals which are served at 9 AM, 1 PM, and 7 PM (appetizers and libations are served at 6 PM in the Lodge). Sweetwater 420 is on tap in the Lodge for you whenever you want to serve yourself. We caught a nice redfish which Matthew cooked and served to us and the other guests as one of the appetizers that night. Another guest requested Key Lime Pie (they had fresh key limes growing in the organic garden!). He prepared it for her that night!
We loved meeting the other guests on our trip!! Two nights would have been OK, but three nights was perfect.
Rooms are nice, but not particularly plush. They are very clean and very comfortable with great A/C! You won't be in your room anyway, so really they are perfect. They had a lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom for the ladies.
My husband was dying to see an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. Ben put him right on a pretty good sized one that was all coiled up with his rattle going full strength. Made my husband's day. I saw a smaller one (18") right next to the road when riding my bike to the beach. Other nonpoisonous snakes are all around to coexist peacefully.
This is truly a place where you can escape and get back in touch with nature!! We have been regular visitors of SSI for over 40 years and LOVED what LSSI has to offer!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have better views than others. If a view is important, ask for one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple