“An incredible and very unique place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Simons Island
The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“An incredible and very unique place”
Reviewed 23 April 2006

I went to the Lodge on Little St. Simon's Island for 4 1/2 days with my family (husband and 2 children aged 11 and 15) in April. This place is great! As others have said, I feel so lucky to have seen a place basically untouched.......there just aren't that many places like this left, certainly on the east coast. The accomodations are rustic but more than adequate, the staff is incredibly helpful in every way and the food is exactly as advertised.....rustic regional cusine. As another reviewer said, this place is like adult camp.....and it is! But at this camp, the friendly staff goes out of their way to make sure every one of your needs are met. The service is very, very good. An added bonus is everything is included in the price, so it is such a relief not having "to sign" for every purchase you make.

There are many, many activities to keep you busy and the choices change daily just to mix things up, so you don't feel like you have done everything after a day or so. You can choose to do as much or as little as you want. I went biking, hiking, kayacking, shelling, birding, touring......and also spent a cool cloudy morning curled up reading my book in my cabin. The vacation was action packed as well as relaxing. My kids joined right in, and were never bored.....it was wonderful to see them so into "nature" and away from the likes of TV's, DVD's, X-Box....etc. They had a great time exploring the island on bikes, horses, boats and on foot. I think younger kids may not be as happy here as older ones, but certainly kids 10 years old and up would really enjoy themselves. And the beach.......it is breathtaking. We biked for miles on it. The only activity you really had to sign up for was riding or you could get "locked out" of that activity. I do think they should get a few more horses. That way everyone who wants to can ride.

The evenings were really fun getting to know the other guests around cocktails and dinner. We found the food very acceptable, and we are from NY and have traveled around quite a bit. If you only want truely gourmet cusine, then don't come here, but from my experience it was hard not to gain weight......the food is that good! A couple of the meals were not ready exactly when they said they would be, but hey, you're not on a tight schedule while you are here, so no big deal. Perhaps if it had happened all the time, that would be a different situation.

All in all, this place is perfect for an amazing family vacation. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy nature at its best, and I promise, you will have a great time while doing it. April is a perfect time to go as the weather was beautiful and the bugs were not too bad. All in all, if you think vacations are only acceptable at a Four Seasons Resort with high-end gourmet cusine, then don't come here. But otherwise, get ready for a really unique and wonderful vacation!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank lovetogoonvacations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Alabama
Reviewed 7 April 2006

We spent 4 nights on the island and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Helen House. The accommodations were not luxurious by any means. They were charming. Our room had a small private bathroom. While we would have liked to have had a larger bathroom and the rooms could use some refinement (new paint, replacing some tiles in the bathroom), the room was adequate. The reason for the high room rate for LSSI is not for the room but for the island itself. You can't beat being on miles of beach and being the only ones there. The food was pretty good. It is served family style. We'll definitely be going again in the future.

Stayed March 2006
1 Thank TravelinZoe
Bowral, NSW
Reviewed 4 March 2006

Having read the negative review below, I find it hard to believe we have stayed at the same place. It was magic. The world had stopped spinning and we got off for a few days. The accommodation was very comfortable and spacious, with a large deck overlooking the river and glorious sunsets. My husband and I enjoy food (some would say obsessive about it) and we were not disappointed. Dining family style provided a great opportunity for discussion/argument on a number of issues. Yes, the wine selection could be better (so bring a couple of bottles of your favourites along). The breathtaking natural beauty of the island still haunts me. I catch myself thinking about it and transporting me back. Sure, it's not inexpensive, but when you look at what is included in the price - accommodation, all meals, drinks, outdoor activities, it puts the price in perspective. The staff were great - in fact, I had asked for an ironing board and when I got back to the room there it was along with the item I had planned to iron already done. I've never had this kind of service anywhere! Timing of your stay should be a consideration because of the mosquitoes etc. although we were not bothered in mid November (and there were always plentiful supplies of repellent around) We'd love to return, and bring our adult children and grandchild to experience this unique part of the world. Believe me, there aren't many like this around, and one has to wonder how long Little St. Simons Island can hold off the developers. In a couple of words I would describe it as "rustic elegance". Don't miss out an indelible experience - one that will haunt you forever.

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank palosverdes
Reviewed 30 January 2006

This was one of our best getaways ever. Once we left the Harbor Point Marina on the shuttle boat, it was as if we were being transported to a different time and place. The island is quite remote, and not only has no signs of civilization, but one cannot see signs of civilization looking out from it. The inn compound is appealingly rustic and very well kept. The staff was extremely nice and accomodated our every wish. The activities were incredible. We spent entire days exploring miles of beaches and doing incredible shelling. The wildlife was amazing. The stars were fantastic. I should say that the equipment (bikes, binoculars, beach chairs, skiffs, etc.) is of excellent quality and well kept. Also the food was fantastic. All in all, a unique, beautiful place with an excellent staff. Outstanding romantic getaway!

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2005

All cares melt away when you step onto the dock and see the dolphins surface in the canal of what feels like a peice of the untouched americas. Whether riding a beach cruiser bike down to the ocean side or just relaxing by the pool you will not hear a car or a plane. Kayak fly fishing or just trotting along on the island's resident horses, you are guaranteed to become more in touch with child in you. I will not miss another year.

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 September 2005

The staff on this island are incredible, the food was magnificant, and the Island is truly as God made it. The beds were made in Heaven, and my wife and I had our choice, shower inside or out. Horseback riding to the beach, and having dinner there, I will never forget. We will go back twice a year, every year.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Smyrna, GA
Reviewed 28 August 2005

LSSI didn't meet any of our expectations. Calling this island a resort couldn't be farther from the truth. It was more like an adult camp. We filled out a questionnaire with all of the activities that interested us and they didn't arrange for us to do any of these activities. I also have a dietary restriction, I can't eat dairy and I offered to bring any number of things that would be needed and my husband was told that they had plenty of time to arrange alternatives for me. This also wasn't the case. The first night, I didn't get much to eat because they had shrimp and pasta with cheese and butter on it. The next morning at breakfast, everything had cheese and butter on it. The eating arrangements were awful. We had no problems eating with family style with people, but the chairs were very uncomfortable and there weren't enough seats for everyone. If you didn't beat all the other guests to the dining room, you could end up eating your meal separated from your loved ones. The "extra" dining room (that they only used once while we were there) had a floor that slanted so bad, I was really surprised that everything stayed on the table. The food was very disappointing. The AC vents were above the tables and the last night that we had dinner, the vent kept dripping water onto my plate.
The website also boasts that the "naturalists" outnumber the guests. We were not able to verify this fact as we only saw one or two at a time for the entire four days that we were there. We started referring to the naturalists as camp counselors by the end of the trip. They were clearly more interested in each other than the guests and it certainly didn't matter that most people spend $600 a day to do their "activities". Whenever I wanted to go fishing or horseback riding and that activity wasn't planned for the day, the naturalists acted put out that I would even suggest it. I do have to say here that the nature was really neat. They had deer and armadillos that would come right up to the houses. We saw preserved nature at its best, despite the food and the company. (But we also had a wonderful time of Jekyll Island at a third of the cost).
The activities left much to be desired. We stayed there four nights and they did a tour the very first day that we were there. I was very tired from traveling so we opted to forgo the tour and go on it later. Turns out, there was no later! If you don't do the activity when they choose to HAVE the activities, that is it, you don't get to do it! Also, if the other guests get to the sign up sheet *yes, just like camp* before you, and there were a maximum amount of signups allowed for each activity, then you don't get to go.
One last thing: The last night that we were there was our One Year Anniversary. We spent this night elbow to elbow with all the other guests (we got to sit together at least) only to find out that you can have a private dinner in your house and no one ever told us that was an option. My husband even asked about a private dinner and he was told "all of our meals are all family style".
Don't go here. If you want to see the island, they offer day trips that include a lunch but I personally think those are overpriced too. The equipment that they have is just terrible (if you manage to get to it before another guest). The Good Side: You get to help preserve one of the last privately owned Island's on the Georgia Coast and the beach is really amazing and totally private (after the 2 mile bike ride to get there), but once you get there, its breathtaking.

• Stayed August 2004
26 Thank felinecartel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island

Been to The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island? Share your experiences!