“Fabulous Family Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Simons Island
The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island
GreenLeadersGold level
Gatesville, TX
“Fabulous Family Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2006

Thought initially the price might be too high when I booked, but WOW! Everything is included, I mean everything. Service is excellent, accomodations excellent, staff excellent. We lost track of time on this beautiful little island. Will definitely return.

6 Thank MrsDasch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2006

My husband, five month old son and I just returned from a five day vacation on Little St. Simon's Island and we had a fantasic time. The staff was excellent and always made every effort to accomodate our baby. We met wonderfully interesting people and had a great time on the hikes, boat rides and horseback rides. Several days we had seven miles of prisitne beach entirely to ourselves. We saw lots of wildlife - deer, snakes, alligator, rabbits, lots of birds -- and this was just walking around the island. The food was FABULOUS. The best we have had anywhere in the world, and they always remembered our dietary restrictions. I cannot say enough about the food, and the sentiments were echoed by all the guests. Great people, great atmosphere and the Bass Ale on tap with icy cold mugs in the fridge didn't hurt either. Highly recommend it!

Stayed May 2006
6 Thank bcjarrell
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2006

I went to the Lodge on Little St. Simon's Island for 4 1/2 days with my family (husband and 2 children aged 11 and 15) in April. This place is great! As others have said, I feel so lucky to have seen a place basically untouched.......there just aren't that many places like this left, certainly on the east coast. The accomodations are rustic but more than adequate, the staff is incredibly helpful in every way and the food is exactly as advertised.....rustic regional cusine. As another reviewer said, this place is like adult camp.....and it is! But at this camp, the friendly staff goes out of their way to make sure every one of your needs are met. The service is very, very good. An added bonus is everything is included in the price, so it is such a relief not having "to sign" for every purchase you make.

There are many, many activities to keep you busy and the choices change daily just to mix things up, so you don't feel like you have done everything after a day or so. You can choose to do as much or as little as you want. I went biking, hiking, kayacking, shelling, birding, touring......and also spent a cool cloudy morning curled up reading my book in my cabin. The vacation was action packed as well as relaxing. My kids joined right in, and were never bored.....it was wonderful to see them so into "nature" and away from the likes of TV's, DVD's, X-Box....etc. They had a great time exploring the island on bikes, horses, boats and on foot. I think younger kids may not be as happy here as older ones, but certainly kids 10 years old and up would really enjoy themselves. And the beach.......it is breathtaking. We biked for miles on it. The only activity you really had to sign up for was riding or you could get "locked out" of that activity. I do think they should get a few more horses. That way everyone who wants to can ride.

The evenings were really fun getting to know the other guests around cocktails and dinner. We found the food very acceptable, and we are from NY and have traveled around quite a bit. If you only want truely gourmet cusine, then don't come here, but from my experience it was hard not to gain weight......the food is that good! A couple of the meals were not ready exactly when they said they would be, but hey, you're not on a tight schedule while you are here, so no big deal. Perhaps if it had happened all the time, that would be a different situation.

All in all, this place is perfect for an amazing family vacation. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy nature at its best, and I promise, you will have a great time while doing it. April is a perfect time to go as the weather was beautiful and the bugs were not too bad. All in all, if you think vacations are only acceptable at a Four Seasons Resort with high-end gourmet cusine, then don't come here. But otherwise, get ready for a really unique and wonderful vacation!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank lovetogoonvacations
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2006

We spent 4 nights on the island and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Helen House. The accommodations were not luxurious by any means. They were charming. Our room had a small private bathroom. While we would have liked to have had a larger bathroom and the rooms could use some refinement (new paint, replacing some tiles in the bathroom), the room was adequate. The reason for the high room rate for LSSI is not for the room but for the island itself. You can't beat being on miles of beach and being the only ones there. The food was pretty good. It is served family style. We'll definitely be going again in the future.

Stayed March 2006
1 Thank TravelinZoe
Bowral, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2006

Having read the negative review below, I find it hard to believe we have stayed at the same place. It was magic. The world had stopped spinning and we got off for a few days. The accommodation was very comfortable and spacious, with a large deck overlooking the river and glorious sunsets. My husband and I enjoy food (some would say obsessive about it) and we were not disappointed. Dining family style provided a great opportunity for discussion/argument on a number of issues. Yes, the wine selection could be better (so bring a couple of bottles of your favourites along). The breathtaking natural beauty of the island still haunts me. I catch myself thinking about it and transporting me back. Sure, it's not inexpensive, but when you look at what is included in the price - accommodation, all meals, drinks, outdoor activities, it puts the price in perspective. The staff were great - in fact, I had asked for an ironing board and when I got back to the room there it was along with the item I had planned to iron already done. I've never had this kind of service anywhere! Timing of your stay should be a consideration because of the mosquitoes etc. although we were not bothered in mid November (and there were always plentiful supplies of repellent around) We'd love to return, and bring our adult children and grandchild to experience this unique part of the world. Believe me, there aren't many like this around, and one has to wonder how long Little St. Simons Island can hold off the developers. In a couple of words I would describe it as "rustic elegance". Don't miss out an indelible experience - one that will haunt you forever.

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank palosverdes
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2006

This was one of our best getaways ever. Once we left the Harbor Point Marina on the shuttle boat, it was as if we were being transported to a different time and place. The island is quite remote, and not only has no signs of civilization, but one cannot see signs of civilization looking out from it. The inn compound is appealingly rustic and very well kept. The staff was extremely nice and accomodated our every wish. The activities were incredible. We spent entire days exploring miles of beaches and doing incredible shelling. The wildlife was amazing. The stars were fantastic. I should say that the equipment (bikes, binoculars, beach chairs, skiffs, etc.) is of excellent quality and well kept. Also the food was fantastic. All in all, a unique, beautiful place with an excellent staff. Outstanding romantic getaway!

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2005

All cares melt away when you step onto the dock and see the dolphins surface in the canal of what feels like a peice of the untouched americas. Whether riding a beach cruiser bike down to the ocean side or just relaxing by the pool you will not hear a car or a plane. Kayak fly fishing or just trotting along on the island's resident horses, you are guaranteed to become more in touch with child in you. I will not miss another year.

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Hotel
Jekyll Island Club Hotel
#1 of 8 in Jekyll Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,170 reviews
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island
The Inn at Sea Island
The Inn at Sea Island
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island? Share your experiences!