“Nice location and very clean!”

Ocean Inn and Suites
Savannah, Georgia
“Nice location and very clean!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my first visit to St. Simons. My boyfriend surprised me with a birthday trip. He had wanted to stay at the King & Prince, but it was booked. I would say this was a pretty good alternative. It was very clean and the room smelled nice. The air conditioner worked great, and it was in a very convenient location to many restaurants and shops. We only had to drive to get to the beach and to Crabdaddy's Restaurant, which was also recommended by friends. The parking situation was a little annoying because the parking spaces at the hotel were tiny. I cannot imagine what we would have done if we had an SUV...luckily we were in a Toyota Camry. The spaces were so tight and difficult to get in and out of because of the columns. The hotel was also very noisy, like the walls were very thin. I could hear what everyone else was doing in the hotel the entire time. The room was gorgeous and the bed was very comfortably. I also felt that the room was extremely clean, which is a huge priority for me. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent two nights at the Ocean Inn recently. Location of the hotel is good...not sure I would refer to it a "boutique" but it was nice. Great view from our room of the lighthouse and water. Staff was helpful, parking spaces were very tight underneath building...continental breakfast was fairly standard stuff. For about the same money or maybe just a little more, i would try to stay at the King and Prince but that's just my opinion.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the top floor for the best view off the front of the building.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We've been visiting St. Simons Island for 14 years. Yet, this was our first stay at Ocean Inn and Suites. We enjoyed a last minute getaway and decided to try this hotel since our usual places were booked. Overall, the hotel is nice and we'd stay there again if we couldn't find other accommodations. The value for the price is good. Plus the view was fabulous and the location is perfect. We were able to walk to the village and the pier.

But, it's not a "luxury hotel". We travel often and it's nice when hotel pays attention to the details. I think Ocean Inn & Suites is nice, but lacks those details that would make it great. First, the linens. If the linens are frayed, ripped or stained, replace them. That's simply unacceptable. Next, have quality toiletries, i.e. shampoo AND conditioner and decent bath soap. And if you're going to have a hair dryer in the room, have one that puts out enough air to actually do any good. The shower made a screeching noise while running and the toilet won't flush unless you hold the handle.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay but it's simply those little annoying details that are not well executed. With a little attention, this could be our new favorite place. Otherwise, we may choose the Village Inn, the King and Prince or Ocean Lodge.

Incidentally, the parking lot has loads of concrete posts, many confusing lines and handicap markings, it's challenging to park.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor front side provides the best views and we didn't mind the small balcony.
2 Thank April T
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We had a marvelous stay at Ocean Inn and Suites. We were treated like family. Our room was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast on the balcony was a great way to start the day.We enjoyed having a refrigerator so we could keep some things for sandwiches when we didn't want to eat out. There's a nice terrace by the lobby where we enjoyed the view of the lighthouse. One of the best things was location. We could walk to restaurants, pier, shops and library or just sit by the water. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting St. Simons Island.
Judy and George Lowther
Marietta, GA

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Judy L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were first time visitors to the island and the tourist information suggested that the Ocean Inn and Suites had last minute specials on, namely $99 per night. The front desk confirmed this. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the time that we spend there. The disappointing part was that we were charged $139. on check out. This was not apparent to us immediately because I had checked in and my husband checked out. I have since then made repeated attempts, via email, to the management but nothing has been done about this. After an initial email that it would be looked into I have heard nothing else. I will continue to pursue it as I find that if it was an oversight it should be corrected and if it was intentional it should be addressed as well. We had plans of coming back to this place as both the location and the hotel itself were pleasant.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marieke G
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My boyfriend is training at FLETC for a few months and we live on the West Coast. I can't go on the base so we needed to find a place to stay nearby. He suggested St. Simon's Island, so I went on a quest to find hotel. He gave me the name of a restaurant he frequented and told me to try to find a place close to that, as it would be close to everything. I found Ocean Inn and Suites online and saw it was very close to where we wanted to be. From the moment we made the reservation to the time we checked out, it has been a pleasant experience. Although it was a hotel, it had the feel of a bed and breakfast. The owners were extremely personable and helpful. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated - we had an awesome view of the lighthouse and the location was perfect! We were walking distance from everything - exactly what we wanted. I highly recommend this place and we booked Memorial Day Weekend when we checked out. It's perfect for couples, families, girl's weekend, etc.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room on the front of the building with a view! I'm sure the others are...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank corinne311
Bob V, General Manager at Ocean Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay here. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We also thank your boyfriend for his service to our country. We know how hard it is when you are away from your loved ones and are honored to be able to help make your time together a memorable one. I’m glad that you mentioned the feeling of being in a bed and breakfast, because our team goes that extra mile to make all of our guests feel right at home. I very much enjoyed meeting you and look forward to celebrating Memorial Day weekend with you guys. Again, thank you so much for your kind words and we will see you soon.

Bob Vakili, GM
Ocean Inn and Suites
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I found this hotel on the same level of a budget hotel. Our room was not large and was stuffed with furniture. The towels were cheap and shredding. The bed linens were also cheap, unmatched. They did not cover the exposed mattress. The mattress cover only covered the top. I had to pin the bottom sheet to the mattress to keep it from coming off. They need deep pocket sheets. The view of the lighthouse could only be seen from if you went out on the balcony. The bathroom is so dimly lit, don't try to save. Very depressing.

Room Tip: Don't book room 312
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob V, General Manager at Ocean Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I first want to thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Ocean Inn and Suites. We are aware of the many options for accommodations on Saint Simons Island and consider our property to be top-notch as far as quality and location are concerned. We strive to maintain excellence, and without feedback from guests like yourself, we would be unable to address any issues we may have. We offer many different types of rooms and layouts with different views to ensure that we are able to accommodate guests with different needs and budgets. That being said, we have gone to great lengths to describe our different room types, both online and at the time of reservation. We pride ourselves on making you aware of exactly what type of room you are booking, as well as the view that you will have. I appreciate you letting us know about the linens in the room and have addressed that issue. We are constantly working to improve and again, thank you for your comments. As far as the lighting in the bathroom, we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. We feel that it is important to maintain an eco-friendly property both for our community and the environment. We are often praised for using different methods to remain eco-friendly, such as the use of CFL light bulbs in bathrooms, but we never want it to impact our guests’ experience. We will continue to research to find other ways to help our environment without negatively impacting your experience. Again, thank you so much for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Bob Vakili
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!