“Great informal restaurant”

Iguanas Seafood Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very nice atmosphere - Amy is the best server!
Food was very good, and service was great.
Nice decorations - outside dining for those who wanted the fresh air - it was HOT so we ate indoors.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,870)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Although my husband and I didn't have family with us on this trip, we can't wait to take our grandchildren there. Very casual to the point of "do we want to eat here?" Glad we did! Had fresh oysters, a great burger and the best fried clams I've had on a long time. (this was two different occasions!). They are known for their shrimp and I want to try it too. To finish off the meal, there is a complimentary, soft-serve ice cream bar.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We chose this restaurant because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. It was one of the few places in the top 10 that was actually a restaurant and not a coffee shop, ice cream, pizza or yogurt place.
The outside has seating on the sidewalk if you want. The inside is decorated with many beach type items. It looks like this place definitely can use some updating as there are signs of wear. The seats at the table we were taken to had big rips in them, however the table and restaurant were clean.
They do have a nice selection of items on the menu. My wife ordered the fish dinner and I had the top sirloin. The dinners were average and nothing special and maybe a bit pricey for what you received. I also had the coleslaw which was too finely chopped for my taste, but was good anyways. I usually don't like hush puppies, but I liked these as they had a tasty sweetness to them. As a treat, they offer you a free dish of self serve soft ice cream after your meal.
We did have an excellent waitress who took care to check on us just enough not to be a bother. she was knowledgeable about the different local beers and offered me a taste sample of one of them.
All in all I would give this place another try whenever we get back to St. Simons and would hope that they are reading these reviews to update their place.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We have been to st simons so many times over the years since my mom moved here but had never been there... But let me just say this was some of the best food I have had in a really long time. And I will say it was conspired because we already ordered something different and I tried several peoples and everything was so good and the service was great also will definitely be back

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We chose this restaurant due to all the reviews of "best shrimp on the island." The fried shrimp was very good. I would not classify it as the best shrimp I've ever had. There were 14 pieces of shrimp on the fried shrimp platter. The fries and coleslaw were very good too. My friend had the shrimp appetizer for her meal --- which was shrimp prepared three different ways --- fried, buffalo, and coconut. When the plate came out it was a huge platter/plate with shrimp just sliding everywhere on it. No real plating or look of appeal. There were only four of each shrimp. She loved the coconut shrimp but for the value she would have preferred to get the shrimp platter with more shrimp and the sides. I had the shrimp & grits, which were delicious. There were four large triangular grit cakes, fried with a nice crispy exterior. The sauce was amazing with a little bit of a heat to it. My one complaint would be the shrimp --- there were only 7 pieces of shrimp on the shrimp/grits platter and they were very small shrimp. Since you receive no sides with this dish --- not even a salad --- I felt the portion size of the shrimp was very skimpy. One of the children in our party had the fish bites. I did not personally try them but my friend said they were very good. The overall atmosphere of the restaurant is loud and sort of tacky. While there is a beach scene painted on the wall the overall atmosphere is old and dingy. We had seven chairs at our table and four of them had torn vinyl seats --- which when you have on shorts this is very uncomfortable. The foam was protruding through, which felt very dirty. One chair was so bad we asked to swap it out. Our waitress was nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. After reviewing prices of different seafood restaurants this one seemed to be one of the more reasonably priced. The food was good. Would I go back again? I'm really not sure. A few upgrades in the atmosphere of the dining room would move my overall rating of this restaurant up several notches. The old tables and old chairs and old look of the room made the overall appeal of the restaurant less than ideal. It sort of felt dingy and dirty. The free ice cream tasted nasty :/