“Way overpriced for what you get”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sautee Nacoochee
Timberloft Cottages and Cabins
Roswell, Georgia
“Way overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked a last-minute, three night, New Years holiday trip and thought ourselves lucky to find this place available. Once we arrived at Mountain Madness and opened the door to the 'Honeymoon' cabin we realized why it was still available. It was nothing more than a studio, not the one-bedroom cabin we thought we were renting. It was furnished with a old, lumpy king-sized bed and a very uncomfortable futon. There was a rickety dining table and two uncomfortable chairs in the kitchen area. The cabin smelled musty and dank. Their idea of cleanliness is not what we considered clean. There were cobwebs in all the windows, and every corner was layered with grime. The final straw was when I turned back the bed covers (I was afraid of bedbugs) to discover a recent menstrual blood stain on the mattress pad. We drove to the business office, but it was closed with a note on the door giving a number to call. Given the hour, we decided to take care of matter ourselves and stripped the bed and proceeded to find a place to wash the bedding. At least we knew then the bedding was clean. There was not a single comfortable place to sit in the cabin. We spent as little time inside as possible, but the outside wasn't much better. There is a small front deck with a table and two very dirty chairs. By the way, the location of the cabins is right off the highway. While that is quite convenient, it is not exactly the wooded get-away we were expecting. You could here traffic noise inside the cabin. Overall, a very disappointing experience and so overpriced for what you get!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Runner1st

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed in the cabin with the heart shaped tub, it was a gorgeous cabin. The cabin was not clean when we got there so we went to the grocery store in Helen and to the Margarita place to have a drink and watch the rafters go by in the river. Went back to the cabin, it smelled great, had dinner and went to the hot tub. It was not clean. The scum from whomever was floating on the top, we were kind of grossed out but we made the best of it. It was nice, we played our favorite CDs on the stereo. When we went to bed, I heard something like someone was in the cabin around us up in the loft. I didn't say anything for fear someone would think I was nuts but my boyfriend mentioned it in the morning. We are convinced it was a ghost but it stopped moving around whenever we turned the light on so we slept with the little lamp on by the bed. I would go back but I would make sure they cleaned the tub before I got comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sweetcutie
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at Timberloft Cabins for our 5 year anniversary this year, and I am so glad we did! The cabin was adorably rustic and so cozy! Although the cabins were semi-close together, you could not tell. There is plenty of beautiful foliage and privacy walls between the cabins. The hot tub was crystal clear and so refreshing...it was exactly what our tired bones needed!
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, even when I pulled a bonehead move and accidentally locked the key in the cabin after hours! The owner came right over and let us back in and was so nice about the whole situation.
I highly recommend these cabins to those wanting a weekend getaway. The cabins are located very close to Unicoi, a beautiful state park, and near downtown Helen. My husband and I can't wait to go back and enjoy another relaxing stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Timberloft, Owner at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We would like to thank you for your business and hope to see you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We picked up our key at Timberlake and proceeded to Mountain Madness were the cabin was. We were given Kotori Kobin. 1) Upon entering the smell of bug spray 2)slept on covers 3) amenities are not what they say it is (BRING YOUR OWN!!) 40 Over priced for what you get. 50. It is a shame that I spent my time there cleaning so we could breeth. I should get paid for cleaning since I left it better then how we got it. Such a dissapointment.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mayiya08
Timberloft, Manager at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
We are sorry for the guests disappointment. However, we were not aware that the guest stay was unsatisfactory and would have attempted to resolve this issue by correcting the issue or moving the guest to another cabin. We do pride ourselves on clean cabins and offer outstanding customer service but are unable to help if we are not aware of the issues while the guests are staying with us. Once again, we apologize for the dissatisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these Sautee Nacoochee hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I recently stayed in one of the studio cabins at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins outside of Helen, GA with a friend. We stopped at another group of cabins on the way to our cabin by accident, thinking it was where we were staying. When we saw our studio cabin we wished we had picked one of the surrounding places to stay instead of Timberloft Cottages and Cabins.
The cabin had absolutely no privacy and was extremely close to the main office (which I believe has now moved into the main drag in Helen). There was little space between cabins, and the hot tub and front door were in plain view of everyone walking by. So even though the hot tub was nice, my friend and I were boxed in by the privacy curtain shielding us from other people.
The women we talked to while making our reservation were rude and difficult to deal with. They seemed to not want us to stay with them on our vacation, and the more we talked to them on the phone, the more they kept adding fees they seemed to forget about when we talked to them initially. I do not know if the people working at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins are this rude to everyone, or if perhaps they had some prejudice against women in their twenties (who they may perceive as not having as much money to waste on renting from them).
Overall, staying with Timberloft Cottages and Cabins was a mistake, and I advise anyone reading this review to stay somewhere else. Trust me, you do not want to deal with these rude peole or stay in their overpriced cabins.

Stayed June 2007
8 Thank jcruth
Timberloft, Owner at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins, responded to this review, 11 June 2009
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. We do our best to provide honest service and clean cabins. Unfortunately, we were not aware of the issues that you had with your stay and if we had been given the chance, we would have done our best to satisfy you.
Cumming
Reviewed 28 May 2007

When we arrived to check in for our first anniversary, we were told by the employee that she "had a blow out and didn't know if our cabin was clean or not." She made no attempt to make sure that it was clean before she gave us the key. She simply gave us the key and told us how to get there. If it had not been semi-clean (i.e. clean sheets and towels), we would not have stayed at all.

When we arrived at the cabin, to our surprise, our "private" cabin had a cabin next door, and the road leading to the other cabin was about 15 feet from the deck where the hot tub is. Not all that private to someone looking for a "second honeymoon".

There were also problems with the inside of the problem. Here's the list:

- Missing blinds on one of the two front windows, and the curtains that were supposed to cover the front window did not fit all the way across.
- There was mildew and mold on the trim near the bathtub - gross.
- The light above the shower didn't work, making for a bit of a dark shower. How hard is it to change a lightbulb before guests arrive?
- The tub did not drain well at all. The water was 2 or 3 inches deep at one point, and we only take 5 minute showers. It took about 10 minutes after getting out of the shower for it to completely drain.
- The hot tub only worked once. It was great when it worked, but the next morning the temperature had dropped from 104 to 96, and later that day, it was still the same (we even turned up the temperature knob with no results). The water barely felt warm, and it was an 80+ degree day. Also, the hot tub was extremely dirty. Who wants to be relaxing in the hot tub and have clumps of someone else's hair come floating up to them?
- The ceiling fan in the living area wobbled so badly that we thought it would fall down, so we turned it off. We know whoever cleaned it had to have noticed because it was on when we arrived.
- The contract we signed was contradicting. One page stated to leave the key locked into the cabin when we checked out, and the next page stated that we should return the key to the main office.

I am normally not a person to gripe, complain, argue, or whine. However, the conditions in which we found this cabin were disgusting. There were even still crumbs on the toaster from someone else's breakfast before we got there. The cabin itself was nice - small, but nice and cozy. We love to camp and hike, and I grew up on a farm, so I'm used to "roughing it". Not keeping a clean house, especially one that is rented out for vacation purposes, is unacceptable. We paid for two nights, a total of $290, but found it so unacceptable that we left after the first night and went home. This review has been written so that other people don't get ripped off like we did - hope it helps. We have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and it appears that a similar complaint has been filed in the past two years. Hope this review is informative and helpful.

• Liked — It was a cozy cabin.
  • Disliked — Everything else; especially the lack of cleanliness and professionalism.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank oksunshine6986
Athens, GA
Reviewed 19 June 2006

As an employee of the Georgia Dept. of Transportation, I travel all over North Georgia and I have passed by/visited/inquired about many places to stay in the mountains. There are a few places that are higher in the mountains or have a better view, but the combination of things to do within driving distance of Helen/Cleveland is hard to beat. My wife and I (on a rare weekend away from our 12 year old son) stayed in a one-room "efficiency"cottage right beside the timber loft office. Even though it was 100 feet from the office and 100 feet from some other cottage, the foliage around the cottages give it a really secluded feeling. They do have larger cabins/cottages around the Helen area, but the one we stayed in was ideal for a no-kids. getaway. It is so simple and quaint. Even with cable TV and a hot tub it still has a rustic feel to it. It is not the Hilton, but that is not what you want in the mountains anyway. Lots of pottery & antique shops around Helen and two wonderful state parks close by (Unicoi and Smithgal) for hiking, fishing, birdwatching, etc. We will definitely go back. MANY TIMES. We may even let our son in on our little secret place sometime.

• Stayed June 2006
Heidi Motel
#6 of 19 in Helen
Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center

Been to Timberloft Cottages and Cabins? Share your experiences!