“What a rip-off!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sautee Nacoochee
Timberloft Cottages and Cabins
Asheville, North Carolina
“What a rip-off!”
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I recently stayed in one of the studio cabins at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins outside of Helen, GA with a friend. We stopped at another group of cabins on the way to our cabin by accident, thinking it was where we were staying. When we saw our studio cabin we wished we had picked one of the surrounding places to stay instead of Timberloft Cottages and Cabins.
The cabin had absolutely no privacy and was extremely close to the main office (which I believe has now moved into the main drag in Helen). There was little space between cabins, and the hot tub and front door were in plain view of everyone walking by. So even though the hot tub was nice, my friend and I were boxed in by the privacy curtain shielding us from other people.
The women we talked to while making our reservation were rude and difficult to deal with. They seemed to not want us to stay with them on our vacation, and the more we talked to them on the phone, the more they kept adding fees they seemed to forget about when we talked to them initially. I do not know if the people working at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins are this rude to everyone, or if perhaps they had some prejudice against women in their twenties (who they may perceive as not having as much money to waste on renting from them).
Overall, staying with Timberloft Cottages and Cabins was a mistake, and I advise anyone reading this review to stay somewhere else. Trust me, you do not want to deal with these rude peole or stay in their overpriced cabins.

Stayed June 2007
8 Thank jcruth
Timberloft, Owner at Timberloft Cottages and Cabins, responded to this review, 11 June 2009
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. We do our best to provide honest service and clean cabins. Unfortunately, we were not aware of the issues that you had with your stay and if we had been given the chance, we would have done our best to satisfy you.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cumming
Reviewed 28 May 2007

When we arrived to check in for our first anniversary, we were told by the employee that she "had a blow out and didn't know if our cabin was clean or not." She made no attempt to make sure that it was clean before she gave us the key. She simply gave us the key and told us how to get there. If it had not been semi-clean (i.e. clean sheets and towels), we would not have stayed at all.

When we arrived at the cabin, to our surprise, our "private" cabin had a cabin next door, and the road leading to the other cabin was about 15 feet from the deck where the hot tub is. Not all that private to someone looking for a "second honeymoon".

There were also problems with the inside of the problem. Here's the list:

- Missing blinds on one of the two front windows, and the curtains that were supposed to cover the front window did not fit all the way across.
- There was mildew and mold on the trim near the bathtub - gross.
- The light above the shower didn't work, making for a bit of a dark shower. How hard is it to change a lightbulb before guests arrive?
- The tub did not drain well at all. The water was 2 or 3 inches deep at one point, and we only take 5 minute showers. It took about 10 minutes after getting out of the shower for it to completely drain.
- The hot tub only worked once. It was great when it worked, but the next morning the temperature had dropped from 104 to 96, and later that day, it was still the same (we even turned up the temperature knob with no results). The water barely felt warm, and it was an 80+ degree day. Also, the hot tub was extremely dirty. Who wants to be relaxing in the hot tub and have clumps of someone else's hair come floating up to them?
- The ceiling fan in the living area wobbled so badly that we thought it would fall down, so we turned it off. We know whoever cleaned it had to have noticed because it was on when we arrived.
- The contract we signed was contradicting. One page stated to leave the key locked into the cabin when we checked out, and the next page stated that we should return the key to the main office.

I am normally not a person to gripe, complain, argue, or whine. However, the conditions in which we found this cabin were disgusting. There were even still crumbs on the toaster from someone else's breakfast before we got there. The cabin itself was nice - small, but nice and cozy. We love to camp and hike, and I grew up on a farm, so I'm used to "roughing it". Not keeping a clean house, especially one that is rented out for vacation purposes, is unacceptable. We paid for two nights, a total of $290, but found it so unacceptable that we left after the first night and went home. This review has been written so that other people don't get ripped off like we did - hope it helps. We have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and it appears that a similar complaint has been filed in the past two years. Hope this review is informative and helpful.

• Liked — It was a cozy cabin.
  • Disliked — Everything else; especially the lack of cleanliness and professionalism.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank oksunshine6986

Travellers are raving about these Sautee Nacoochee hotels

Athens, GA
Reviewed 19 June 2006

As an employee of the Georgia Dept. of Transportation, I travel all over North Georgia and I have passed by/visited/inquired about many places to stay in the mountains. There are a few places that are higher in the mountains or have a better view, but the combination of things to do within driving distance of Helen/Cleveland is hard to beat. My wife and I (on a rare weekend away from our 12 year old son) stayed in a one-room "efficiency"cottage right beside the timber loft office. Even though it was 100 feet from the office and 100 feet from some other cottage, the foliage around the cottages give it a really secluded feeling. They do have larger cabins/cottages around the Helen area, but the one we stayed in was ideal for a no-kids. getaway. It is so simple and quaint. Even with cable TV and a hot tub it still has a rustic feel to it. It is not the Hilton, but that is not what you want in the mountains anyway. Lots of pottery & antique shops around Helen and two wonderful state parks close by (Unicoi and Smithgal) for hiking, fishing, birdwatching, etc. We will definitely go back. MANY TIMES. We may even let our son in on our little secret place sometime.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank Ray C
Reviewed 17 July 2005

After 7 years we still love and return to Timberloft. We spent a week in their 3 bedroom cabin (4 generations of us) and many nights in their studio cabins over the years. We just returned and will be heading back up in Sept. It is hard to find a place that is clean, cozy and inn keepers to top this couple. We will always return to a favorite spot of ours ( a 600 mile journey) and as a travel agent, who has been all around this world, "I highly recommend".
The small cabins are located close together but have privacy shrubs and walls and wonderful striped curtains that surround a romantic hot tub, twinkling lights and good Georgia country air. Plenty of privacy, far more than many places. The larger cabins are located in various areas around Helen.
They have everything ready for your arrival and relaxation, you just take home good memories.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2005

We stayed in a studio cottage. It was right next to the other cottage with barely any privacy. The cottage was dirty inside and smelled. The hot tub had scum inside of it too. Gross. We also found roaches inside. We contacted management but they refused to refund anything even though we left a day early. We obviously won't be returning! This place was what I would call just a hole in the wall.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2004

The private hot tub was an added bonus! It was kinda like you were staying in someone's guest house! The cabin is close to the proprietors so you feel safe, but it's still private. Helen and Unicoi State Park is just around the corner--close but not too close. Very quiet and clean with cold A/C. I would highly recommend it if you like your own space--and not a busy hotel where you have to eat out all of your meals and have to put up with alot of noisy neighbors.

• Stayed August 2004
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 October 2003

My childhood sweetheart and I went to Helen last year for our Birthdays in January. I worked on this trip for a month trying to make it perfect. When we finally arrived i was a little disappointed. It wasn't what I thought it would be. Or so I thought. It turned out to be so romantic. It was quiet and just the right atmosphere for Love. We had been apart and married to someone else for 18 years. This was our time to find our way back to each other. The first night there he asked me to marry him. This was what I had waited on all my life. This was my soulmate. We were married in May,2002. We of course went back for our honeymoon. It is so magical. Its like there is no one else in the world but you and your mate. We are getting ready to go back. I can't wait.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#6 of 19 in Helen
Jameson Inn
Jameson Inn
#17 of 19 in Helen

Been to Timberloft Cottages and Cabins? Share your experiences!