“Great Spot if you golf!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cloister

The Cloister
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Sea Island
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brick, New Jersey
“Great Spot if you golf!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Here's the down and dirty:

Hotel / Amenities are fantastic!

Food is decent but not phenomenal

Unless you golf you may be bored here although I heard they have skeet shooting.

A definite must for golfers!

2 Thank Rob S

Atlanta, Georgia
“First Class Dining”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed dining at the Georgian Room this weekend at The Cloister on Sea Island. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive, catering to our every need and want, and the food was excellent. We started w/a glass of champagne that was beautiful. Our beet salad and spring pea agnolotti were beautiful appetizers, and we loved our braised pork and wagyu strip steak entres. The "strawberry fields" and black forest cake were perfect endings to an amazing meal. The whole experience reminded us of the former Dining Room at The Ritz Carlton in Buckhead. Fabulous.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DCD-OK
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Georgian Room”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

There are several restaurants at The Cloister. The Georgian is the main dining room in the main building of The Cloister Resort. Men do have to wear a jacket at dinner, if you don't have one they have one for you to borrow. We did the 6 course dinner that the chef prepared special. We were sitting on a sofa at a table for two facing the fireplace..very romantic. The food was unbelievable...we ordered a bottle of wine instead of opting for the paring....only because we ordered the wine before we heard about the course and pairing dinner which could have been an issue but was not since we wanted the wine we had...pairing adds on another 90 bucks a piece...the dinner was $125.00 a person. Not a cheap night but a nice night. The service is perfect and the food prepared in ways you have never seen or tasted. We ate breakfast there the next day...part of our room deal..you don't have to dress for breakfast. Our waitress was great..different atmosphere from the evening. The breakfast food was very good. I had the shrimp omelet with okra and spinach...the loaded grits are awesome.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank beachpeach75
Atlanta
“The River Bar”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was having dinner here with my daughter. Our waitress was great and tried to be very helpful. Our meals were a disaster! I ordered beef short rib and my daughter ordered salmon. When the food arrived, we each noted that our food was not cooked! I asked for a steak knife because I told the waitress I could not cut my beef. She remarked that it should be really tender, but she did bring me the sharp knife. When I cut into it, I realized that it was very raw. At the same time my daughter remarked that her salmon was also raw. She said that she usually did not mind undercooked salmon, but this just was not edible. We sent both meals back. They cooked the salmon some more and brought it back to the table, but the waitress suggested that I order something else. I ordered the trout. When it came it was cooked, but it was very dry and did not taste good. I ate the vegetables that came with it and gave up. This restaurant, as its name suggests is in a bar. For us the ambiance was not good. A large crowd came in just after we ordered and it became unbelievably loud in the entire room. We were not even able to have a conversation. This is a five star resort that seems to cater to large convention groups and it was obvious that the loud group that came in was part of such an event. It was at least thirty people who seemed to all know each other and who remained standing around the bar. Sea Island used to be a popular family resort with very delicious food in all of its restaurants. The crowd and the amenities have changed! Our meal was quite expensive and, with the exception of our very gracious waitress, nothing about it was pleasant.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank kfg14
Tampa, Florida
“The Oak Room at The Lodge”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This is a very attractive and relatively casual restaurant at The Cloister. As generally true throughout the resort, the service was very friendly and the server was knowledgeable. As also appears to be generally true, the food is not quite up to snuff. One dish, that was extremely tasty, was the pulled pork tacos. I recommend that you order it with extra sour cream and extra salsa on the side. It is a bit salty, but it is delicious. The shrimp and grits were not particularly tasty, and were overflowing with the cream sauce. The buttermilk fried chicken was not as crispy as we were expecting, but the waitress informed us that this is the way that dish is traditionally served here. In any event, not our cup of tea.

Visited February 2014