“Top Shelf”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our 26th anniversary and what a great decision. From the minute you pull up to the entrance until the minute you check out, the stay is peaceful, service is impeccable, atmosphere is elegant but not snobby, and basically a resort that offers everything or to do nothing.
We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite with a view of the river and had morning coffee on the balcony. The 5-star Spa is across the street and the beach is a short walk from the hotel. The Cloister has a high-end restaurant which is extremely expensive and a casual bar/restaurant that became our favorite.
3 golf courses are accessible via their shuttle, in absolutely great shape, and the golf shop and restaurants are wonderful
Highly recommend this resort hotel if you want a luxurious stay!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ShermanSUV

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a short girl's trip, so we did not make use of the golf, tennis or shooting activities. However, we loved our room in the Ocean Villas, the spa, where we had wonderful massages and the restaurants. We also had room service and it was delivered promptly and perfectly. The service is top notch. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Love this place!

Room Tip: The Ocean Villas are a little secluded and look out over the uninhabited section of the beach, so th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My family spent the night at sea island on our way home from Florida this past January.
Pretty spectacular spot where they have everything you can imagine. From tennis to horse back riding on the beach.the biking / running trails were beautiful . The old giant Spanish moss trees really made you feel like you were in a magical place.
The check in went smoothly and the host was very gracious giving us a bit of history as well as presenting our children with kid friendly bags with goodies.
The room was enormous and luxurious with a beautiful balcony furnished with teak chaises.
They have several types of accommodations including villas large enough for family gatherings.
We had dinner in the room and everything was delicious. The service and presentation by the pair of servers was super.
I especially appreciated the large round dining table with my kids.
Another neat thing was the ability to park your car close to your room as each building seemed to have their own parking area. The resort is enormous and driving is convenient.
We were looking forward to staying longer but the weather took a turn for the worst so we decided to keep heading home. We hope to have a real visit and enjoy everything sea island has to offer.

Room Tip: You can stay near the pools and dining areas or more remote quiet areas, many options.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MW7722
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently traveled to the Cloisters at Sea Island for a business trip. I had no idea what to expect prior to arriving.

The drive from Jacksonville, FL Airport is about an hour. The Cloisters can arrange airport transportation for you for a fee.

The Cloister Building is large and elaborate and reminds me of Spanish Colonial architecture that you see in the St. Augustine area of Florida.

Our check in was swift, friendly and efficient and then you are directed to a bellman who helps you with your luggage and takes you to your room. Getting to the rooms can be confusing when you first arrive and it will take you a day to get oriented with the entire property.

The rooms in the Cloister are huge and have a very nice living area, outdoor deck and a very large bathroom with a separate seating area, WC and toilet as well as heated floors and a deep soaking tub. The room was dark, but it had a nice view of the river and the beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast in the Georgian Room was delicious and the services was fantastic. Doris our server was so sweet, she even brought over little stepstools for the ladies to place their purses on so they wouldn't have to reach all the way to the floor.

The facilities are vast and require some walking. The grounds are beautiful, but it will take you a few minutes to get to the Beach Club, fitness center and spa.

The pool area is gigantic and offers 2 kids pools and an adult pool. Note, the adult pool is small and impossible to get into during peak season so go early and reserve some chairs!

The beach is vast, but the water is an ugly brown color and not what I expected.

The fitness center is very large and comprehensive and offers just about any type of cardio, free weights or machines you would need. Stretching rooms, pilates and yoga are also offered. We didn't use the spa, but it located next door to the fitness center and looked spectacular and very zen.

There are numerous restaurants on the property, but we only ate at two of them. The River Room had a nice bar, but be careful of the 1942 margarita that sells for $42!

Dinner in the Georgian Room was phenomenal! Evan our server was an excellent sommelier as well as the consummate gentlemen. He explained each course to us as well as each wine that we sampled during our 6 course tasking menu and wine pairings. Each course was delicious.

There are many activities available to guests including 2 golf courses, archery, skeet shooting, sailing, fishing and horseback riding. Pretty much anything you want to do is available to you.

Shopping is nearby.

Overall a fabulous resort with many things to see and do. Summer months are very hot and humid so be prepared! Staff was just about perfect across the board!

Room Tip: Don't miss Wonderland-a great little sweet shop located in the pool section of the resort.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank dfc9258
RRiess, General Manager at The Cloister at Sea Island, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for being recent guests at The Cloister and taking the time to share your experience. We pride ourselves on our gracious hospitality and are thankful you chose to spend a few days with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Cloister at Sea Island has been a family favorite for years. I will admit that it is difficult transitioning in my mind between the old and the new property.

We stayed at the Ocean Villas and of all of the property locations we've enjoyed, it was my least favorite. We had to ask for a coffee machine for the room. It was a walk or a drive to the closest food and beverage service. There was a very small refrigerator in the room for beverages and the Cloister provided water on a daily basis. When we return, I will book a room or suite closer to the main hotel and beach.

We were beach front with great views. In the morning we walked about .4 of a mile for breakfast, a pleasant walk.

The room had a daily early cleaning and a 5:00 turn-down service. The staff was fantastic providing us with fresh towels and chocolates, and the Cloister even sent a bottle of champagne with two glasses in an ice bucket for us.

There is plenty to do at the Cloister. The beach was beautiful with plenty of places to recline and relax. There was little beverage or food service at the beach, but the Beach Club was not far away. There was also a pool for adults and another for families. The staff at the adult pool brought drink and lunch menus quickly and also brought delicious smoothies to cool us on the hot summer days.

The old Beach Club had, in my opinion, a much better buffet with more choices than the current one. However, the falcon that was on duty to keep away the birds was a brilliant addition.

If you go to the Cloister, make reservations for Bingo. Billy Bingo has a huge following of loyal fans, and it makes quite an enjoyable evening. Imagine 500 people dressed to the nines playing Bingo for an hour. Billy is quite the entertainer with an opening song and a very creative way to call out the numbers.

The Spa is a must. Lodged in a beautiful 65,000 square foot building, the spa provides wonderful services. I had the best massage I have ever had there! Have lunch there, recline in the relaxation room, go outside for a time in the heated pool, or browse in the gift shop.

The Cloister has many other activities for children and adults alike. There is no time to be bored there. I am looking forward to returning in the spring.

Room Tip: Useless you like solitude, choose a room close to the Beach Club or near or in the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Went with a group of about 100 people.

Room was great.

Group breakfast was good.

Final Banquet meal was like an appetizer. The dinner we had outside a different night buffet style was really good.

My wife had a terrible experience at the spa! It was truly terrible!

General Manager offered my wife a comp facial for her issues. Should have offered her the massage that went bad with a different therapist and the services that were expected. Was supposed to be a $500 spa experience that went bad. My wife went on the trip to enjoy a specific spa experience and that was the only reason she came with me on trip. Other than dinner this was her only experience she had. Letting a customer leave a resort unsatisfied is unheard of.

I doubt our group will go back since I won't...Wife and I will not go back to The Cloister.

Think spa staff doesn't treat groups as well as they get tipped no matter what the service level is???

Room Tip: Don't take a group there IMHO.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Q5700PDpaull
RRiess, General Manager at The Cloister at Sea Island, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for being recent guests at The Cloister and taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry to learn that your wife’s spa experience nor our offer for a facial met your expectations. Please accept my apology as we strive to offer our guests nothing less than extraordinary experiences. I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Sea Island and will be happy to assist you personally with a future stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This property is by far my favorite I've ever stayed at.
Impeccable service and stunningly beautiful rooms is what this hotel has to offer, complete with a
beach.

Every time I ask myself how I liked my stay at a hotel, I always answer, "It wasn't the Cloister".

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Inn at Sea Island
The Inn at Sea Island
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!