“Poor and expensive experience”

Bigland Hall Equine Group
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bigland Hall Equine Group is a horse riding school located in Backbarrow. We offer lessons that are suitable for anyone and all ages. We teach all year round and in a very nice indoor arena, so we can give lessons rain or shine. We do both group and private lessons, and classic dressage lessons for medium to advanced riders. We have a pony club that connects children with ponies for a ride, looking after the horses, or grooming. We also offer trekking lessons and hacking. We do full day, half day, and two hour long hacks in different locations. These rides are held in a variety of different areas.
Lanarkshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Poor and expensive experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I booked to go out on a 1 hour trek. We don't have a lot of experience with horses but have gone out on treks before albeit not recently. The welcome at this yard is far from what we expected - they are surly and unwelcoming and it seems an inconvenience to them. Whilst my horse was ready 1st I was led indoors to be assessed. My wife had developed a sore hip and decided that it probably was not a good idea to proceed on the trek so she made it known to them that she wouldn't be joining me. There was a lot of confusion as they had combined 2 treks together and had the Pony Club join us indoors - so after 30 minutes of going round inside I finally went on a trek with 1 other person whos friend was advised that they would be better off on a lead rein ride! So please be aware that if you are not of a competent standard do not go out on a trek or go to this yard. The ride itself is very expensive and wasn't really worth £35. We walked downhill on the horse and on the way back up came up through some forest like walk. We trotted about 3 or 4 times and meandered through some gates. Excitement factor 0 out of 10. The horse I was on (Baileys) seemed lacking in spirit and tired of whatever treatment he was getting. So on my return I asked for a refund as my wife didn't accompany me on the ride. I was told that they need 24 hours notice to cancel and therefore I wasn't entitled to any refund. I asked for some money to be refunded under goodwill and was told that they had to provide a member of staff to saddle up the horse. However after much discussion - she was quite adamant I wasn't due any money back relented and said she would refund something. It is only a few days since we have returned and so I will wait and see!!!!! But to be honest I would give my custom elsewhere. Poor experience and not a great advert for the profession!!!!

Visited August 2014
5 Thank ian k

oldham
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

really enjoyed my ride out opted for the one hour walk/trot ride as I am just getting back into riding. Lovely friendly place and one would definitely come back to when I holiday in the area again. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Katherine F
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“great”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What a fab place, we had an hour trek and it was brilliant, we had never been on a horse before and what a great feeling, we had 3 staff leading our horses and we just never stopped asking questions, thank you to the lady we booked with, and to the 3 staff who took us out, and thank you Jigsaw, derby and Poppy.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Karen S
Conwy, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fantastic - again!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Bigland Hall caters well for the experienced rider. Well mannered, fit horses and superb riding country makes this establishment one which I return to, year after year.
The half day ride through Cartmel combines everything I love - just fabulous hacking country - and I so enjoyed riding Indy. Three weeks ago I was lucky enough to experience a different route over to Windermere and again, I couldn't fault the riding, the pace, the horses, the leaders. I've ridden all my life and this is one of the best establishments.
Can't wait to re-visit.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank janet w
Brampton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“be wary”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Took both our children as it was our daughters birthday. She had only had two previous lessons(somewhere else) that week so booked for a lesson and then for the trek. All this was explained prior to booking. On arrival staff where friendly and our son set off on his lead rein walk.
Although booked for the same time, my daughter had to wait for her lesson and as a result hadn't even finished her lesson by the time our son came back. The staff decided that our daughter was not competent enough to go on the trek and would have to go on the lead rein walk instead, half an hour instead of an hour. I was also supposed to accompany her on the trek but as a result just walked round following my daughter who was on the lead rein. After we had finished the lead rein, 1 an hour and a half after my son, i asked the staff for a refund as i had paid for 1 lead rein (son) 1 lesson ( daughter) and 2 treks. Instead of the two treks i got 2 lead reins which was £20 less than the treks. I was told in no uncertain terms that they do not do refunds and that they had to have 4 extra staff because my daughter had to be lead! I could be wrong but i think it only takes one person to lead a horse.The daughter of the owner (who told us they do not do refunds) was very unfriendly and as per previous comment not very polite with other staff. I did not argue with them as it was my daughters birthday and I did not want to spoil it for her but one thing is for certain i will never go back or recommend it to anyone.

Visited May 2014