“AVERAGE PARK AND ATTRACTIONS”

Stone Mountain Park
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Stone Mountain Park is Georgia's most visited attraction, drawing nearly 4 million guests each year. With over 3,200 acres of natural beauty, the Park is a unique and fun destination where families and friends can enjoy the outdoors together, while experiencing an exciting variety of attractions, entertainment and recreation. It's home to the worlds largest LaserShow Spectacular, tons of attractions, two championship golf courses, a campground and two Mariott hotels.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Upon entering the park the person at the entrance booth where you paid to park said Attractions are ahead. We could not find the ticket purchase booths or anyone to ask where they were so we just drive around and by luck wound up at the Skyride to the top of the mountain attraction. Afterwards we had a map and found some of other attractions. The scenic Train ride was not very scenic as one could not see much through the trees. There was a stop where there was a quiz with employees in an old town setting asking questions that were gone over by the guide in the train like a game show contest.. OK for kids. At the end you could see the entre Stone Mountain by looking up to see the statutes. chiseled into the mountain.The Skyride attraction was good. At the top of the mountain you can go out and explore and you may also walk down the mountain or up the mountain and not take the Skyride. Some attractions opened later.. Prices for the Skyride and Train ride were reasonable. Not enough people working the ticket booths so lines were backed up some. Did not stay to see the Nightime laser attraction. More signage is need to point people into the right direction once inside the park..

1  Thank Robert M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,539)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"civil war"
in 89 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went to Stone Mountain park to see the relief (as most folks do) and was slightly disappointed in the actual park. I was expecting a feel closer to Williamsburg, VA, but in reality the park is more along the lines of a Williamsburg combined with a theme park. You must pay $15/day to enter and park, and then you must pay for EVERY other thing in the park other than viewing the relief. Even the "historic village" costs money just to get through a fence and then look at historic homes. I understand the need to charge to keep the place up, however, if you're not careful, the charges can be outrageous. For us, we chose to do the Skylift and that was it.

The skylift was quite fun since you get to go to the top of the mountain, but be forewarned, there is really NOTHING at the top of that mountain. You can look around, but there's nothing really "to do" up there. It was fun for the experience, but it's not something that I would ever really feel the need to experience again.

The museum was quite interesting, and the views of the relief from the museum are cool. The only other negative for me was that the relief was so dirty it was hard to really distinguish the figures from the mountain. The staff seemed confused by the question as to how often the relief is cleaned, so I'm guessing it's not often.

All in all, I would probably go back, just because it's interesting, but I had more fun at Mt. Rushmore than I did here. I also enjoyed exploring the towns surrounding Stone Mountain moreso than just being in the park. I think it's definitely somewhere to go for a day or so, but I wouldn't recommend planning a week-long vacation just to visit this park.