“Worst”

Quality Inn - Stone Mountain
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Stone Mountain
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was the worst stay ever. From the moment we checked in, the entire lobby was under construction, with dust everywhere. The woman that checked us in assured me that it did not affect the rest of the hotel. I had reserved 2 rooms, because we were 2 families. So the woman was kind enough to give us 2 adjoining rooms. So we go to our rooms to unpacked and start our mini vacation. Well the other family we were with got to their room and get in fine, then they go to unpack there car and go back to the room and cannot get in, the key card is not working. They go to front desk and the woman gives them another card. So we go out to dinner, come back and the new card is not working. So they go to front desk and woman comes out with a new card and tries it herself, it does not work. She says that maintenance will fix it in the morning, that for now can they go through our room, we said fine. So the next morning we get up have breakfast and get ready for our day at Stone Mountain. We spent the entire day at Stone Mountain, come back to room and the room key is still not fixed. So they go to front desk and manager was awful, said that it could not be fixed to just use our room to get in and out. Since the room was booked under my name, when they told me what happened I called the front desk right away, spoke with the manager and he said he had offered to move the other family, which was a lie, the other family said he never offered and just said to use our room. So I told the manager this was unacceptable, so he then offered to move them, but not us. I told him this was our first vacation together; we wanted to stay together, so he says we cannot guarantee if he tried to move us that we would be together. So I said no, we will stay where we were. All the time he was rude and nasty. Well it gets better, I send my daughter to go get ice and she comes back to say none of the ice machines have ice, so I call the front desk and the same rude manager says no we have no ice (not once apologizing). I said well do you have any in the lobby, he says NO! I said well I really need ice, he said too bad. He said because of the construction that things were affected around the hotel. Well I told him the woman the day before assured me nothing was going to be affected, so he says well when I booked the hotel, that it should have said there was construction, I said there was nothing on the website, he says then you did not go through Best Western you must have gone through a third party, I said of course I went through Best Western and it did not say anything about construction. So needless to say I had to go to buy a bag of ice. Then the breakfast provided was very nice, with the exception, there was no one working there to refill anything that ran out. The milk ran out and it took forever to get someone to refill it. Then upon check out, I ask for a receipt and the woman says you paid through a third party they get the receipt I said no I paid, so after research, she finally says I got it, here is your receipt. I said I would like the receipts for both rooms, since it was under my name, she says the other room was private and she could not give me the receipt, hello I paid for both rooms. She says oh you did, let me check. After about a good 10 minutes she says I cannot pull it up. I had, had it by this time; I just couldn't wait to get out of there, so I left without my second receipt. Honestly had I known there was construction and the rooms had issues and the staff was rude I would not have stayed there. Had the manager been more understanding and not SO RUDE, I would not be writing this letter. For our first time in Georgia, I cannot say that I would recommend this hotel. The cleaning lady was the only good thing; she was very nice, friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Assunta R
Manager_BestWestern, Manager at Quality Inn - Stone Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Assunta R

Regarding the keys not working, when are lobby flooded on January 7th the power was turned off due to the freezing weather. Having the power off for several days drained the back up batteries inside of the door locks. I truly apologize for maintenance not completing this repair request.

The manager you dealt with was in training and due to your issues we have extended his training.

The ice machine can not operate in temperature below freezing. Since we had numerous days of below freezing weather, the ice machine had to be shut down to prevent permanent damage to the machine itself.

January 9th a notice was sent and posted to all of our reservation sites regarding our construction and renovation in our lobby and breakfast area. I truly apologize that you were not notified of this.

When a guest makes a third party reservation upon checkout the receipt goes to the third party company.

Again, I truly apologize for all of the inconvenience you and your family experienced. My intentions is not to dismiss your concerns but to turn them into additional training opportunities for myself and my staff.

Management

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The hotel is convenient to Stone Mountain Park. That is the only plus about this hotel. The room was dirty. Not sure a vacuum has been in this room. Personal care items from previous guests were found in the room. The bathroom floor was dirty. The faucets seemed to have been wiped off with a dirty rag. The lobby is not available for guests. At night the lobby was locked, lights off, and on duty employee sleeping on the sofa. Convenience to Stone Mountain Park is not worth staying here. Price is definitely not worth the value of the room. Would not stay here again. Employee changed my reservation and said she could lose her job for it, but she did it any way. When I went to check in (in the parking lot, because she would not let me in the building) she told me she changed my reservation. I didn't request a change. She told another guest that I had a reservation in the hotel. Why give that info out? Have you heard of identity theft or stalkers?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AMANDA H

Amanda H

I have sat down with the housekeeping supervisor and housekeepers regarding cleanliness and guest satisfaction.

The lobby was closed at times due to the renovation to our lobby and for the safety of our guests.

I spoke with the front desk clerk about changing your reservation, she should have made another reservation for the additional guest in your room.

I apologize for the inconvenience of checking guest in our parking lot but due to the renovation and dust as management we are concern about guest safety issues and that is why guest were not allowed into the lobby.

All of your concerns have been addressed by me and with my staff

Management

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very good price for a well kept and clean motor lodge in close proximity to Stone Mountain Park. It is the older-style with outside entrance rooms; I prefer this as you can back your car to the room and unload rather than having to carry all your luggage through a lobby. We got an amazingly low price for the room, checking in Christmas day. The room did not skimp on extras, and included fluffy towels, big pillows, refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer, coffee maker, and free shampoo and skin lotion. The breakfast was free and was excellent. There were not many tables in the dining room, which filled up with guests, but that is a minor complaint. The staff were friendly, and there were no undesirables in the parking lot. We felt safe and very happy with this value priced lodging.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our 4 day stay at this hotel was between Christmas and New Year. There was some inconvenience due to road construction going on right in front of the hotel. You could still get in and out from either side. The hotel is very convenient to Stone Mountain Park. The condition of the hotel was average for a hotel in this price range, but the staff were very nice and helpful. My main complaint with the room was that the in room refrigerator was so loud I couldn't get to sleep. I didn't report it since it was easier to just unplug it at night. Also be aware to pay attention to the sign in the bathroom that states the toilet will clog if you use too much toilet paper. They are serious as it happened the first night, however they came promptly to get it plunged out. The complimentary breakfast was the usual assortment of hot and cold cereal, pastries, fresh made waffles, coffee, and juice. There was yogurt and fresh fruit on some days, but they could have used more since they ran out quickly. The breakfast area was cramped with the holiday crowds, even after they opened up an overflow room. The free wi-fi was O.K. and used a password. Overall this was a good stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have exterior entry.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rlwagner
Reviewed 3 January 2014

When in the area I always stay here. Clean, comfortable, great staff, good location, pet friendly. Never a problem. ( I do think the pet fee is too high but , I guess, worth it. $25 per night really adds up one's bill.)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sherry J
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is very convenient to shops, restaurants, and attractions. I highly recommend it as a place to stay in Stone Mountain, GA. The breakfast is extensive, not just a continental breakfast. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My mom is to polite....When we told the manager on duty about the bed bugs, he said 'Oh we had that room closed down 2 days ago for bed bugs." I had said well you should notify people when they check in that, that room had bed bugs (plus you can NOT make sure that it is completely clean (bug free) in 2 days!! He said that is ALL hotels where ever you stay!!! I HAVE NEVER STAYED at a hotel that has bed bugs (UNTIL NOW) and I have been traveling since I has 5 years old I am 27!! The saddest part is he seemed that he didn't even care didn't even say sorry. Rooms need to be updated they smelled moldy.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family