YHA Stratford upon Avon
Stratford Limes Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$132
The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel(Charlecote)(Great Value!)
US$67
  • Bar/Lounge
Stratford Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$120
US$114
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$211
US$135
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$211
US$113
Agoda.com
  • Pool
US$193
US$188
Travelocity
Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$205
US$113
TripAdvisor
US$110
US$102
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$80
Priceline
Hampton Lodge(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Agoda.com
All reviewsyouth hostelgames roombunk bedsperson roomnice loungeschool partystratford upon avonself catering kitchenshower and toiletbus stop rightgreat buildinglarge groundsshort drivefamily breakextractor fanup to datereception desk
Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you're looking for a peaceful hostel to get a good nights sleep at after a long day then this probably isn't the hostel for you.
The management actively promotes it as a venue for large parties which has a couple of downsides for the lone visitor.
Firstly it can make you feel like your intruding on a private function, when I stayed there was a birthday party for 50 or so people who had spread themselves throughout all the social areas.
Secondly the noise, parties aren't quiet and neither are lots of people coming and going in the early hours.
The reception being open until midnight doesn't help matters either as it permits very late arrivals into the dorms.
It's a shame really as it's a lovely building in a nice spot.
I shall stick to the smaller hostels off the beaten track in future.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank 33Bob
Stephen D, Manager at YHA Stratford upon Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

The nature of our building and our facilities allow us to welcome a wide spectrum of bookings, from the lone traveller such as yourself, to families, school groups and party bookings. We take the comfort and enjoyment of every customer in to consideration, so I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

When we do have party bookings,which is quite rare, we still hold in place the same rules that we expect all guests to comply with, including quiet during sleeping hours. In general, any private parties of a significant number would take place in our seperate function room, and as such, shouldn't intrude too much on other guests. Of course, we can not exclude any party members from any other areas of the building, and, of the 4 or 5 large party bookings that we have had since re-opening in the Spring, I can't think of any obvious incidences of complaint from other guests.

Many people enjoy booking large family groups in because we provide a safe and enjoyable environment different to many other large venues.

Perhaps you would enjoy staying with us during our quieter winter months, where we offer extremely good rates with the same great welcome.

You can always telephone ahead to see how busy one of our hostels is before making your reservation.

Thank you.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at YHA in a private room and really liked it. The hostel is in a beautiful mansion-like building. The private room we were in was modern and spacious with its own ensuite - in fact it was just as good as a hotel room. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again!

One thing to be aware of is that the hostel is some distance from Stratford-upon-Avon - I think just over 2 miles, which takes about 30-40 minutes to walk. There is a bus but it operates infrequently (every 30 to 60 minutes) and doesn't run early in the morning or late at night. We were able to plan our trips into town to take the bus where possible, but did have to walk a couple of times (eg late at night after seeing a RSC show). This wasn't an issue for us but it's something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jupey12

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it means a lot that people are willing to share their experiences, and helps us to evolve and improve.

I agree that our facilities are of a high standard, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Although we are a little way out of town, the walk-in is only around 30 minutes. Taxi fares are reasonable, and often cheaper than the bus if there are 3 or more people travelling together.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have been hostelling 40 years and in August this was my first visit to the newly refurbished Stratford upon Avon hostel, which is at Alveston about 1.5-2 miles from the centre of Stratford.

I was in a 6 bedded dorm on the first floor.

The staff at the hostel are brilliant, very helpful and nothing too much trouble. The food is good, I had breakfast each day (at £4.99) and two evening meals. The restaurant looks out over the front garden.

The bedrooms are clean and have a wash basin, mine wasn't en-suite but there were three showers and two toilets nearby. I have an issue with the showers, they are far too powerful and waste a great deal of water, additional I do think more could be done to provide for clothes in the showers, two hooks isn't enough for clothes that are taken off, clean clothes and towel. In my six person room there were 3 lockable storage units, this meant that three hostellers wouldn't have secure storage, given the size of the room I do wonder at this decision.

There are good sitting rooms in the hostel, one with a television and the other without. There is also a games rooms. For those who want to self cater there is a kitchen with cooking and refrigeration equipment.

For those who don't want to drive the bus stops outside the hostel and runs into the late evening.

I did the Shakespeare Birthplace, 5 places ticket, Butterfly World and also went to the RSC for All's Well that Ends Well while I was there. There is plenty to do in Stratford. I also travel over to Snowshill Manor (NT) in the Cotswolds and Charlecote Manor (NT) which is only a couple of miles from the hostel.

For those who want to have a cheap break then Tesco points can be used to buy hostel nights on a 3 for 1 offer (Shakespeare's Birthplace and Butterfly World can also be bought on a 4 for 1 offer).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your views.

I will investigate the shower situation as we take our comittment to being environmentally friendly very seriously and as such, have motion-sensored lighting throughout the building, and a committment to recyclying as much as is feasibly possible.

In addition to the lockable room cupboards, we have a mumber of lockers available for safekeeping of valuables.

Future guests might find it useful to note that tickets to many local attractions are available from reception at heavily discounted rates.

Thank you for recognising our staff team's friendly approach, we work very hard to make sure all of our customers feel welcomed and well- looked after during their stay.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Spent a weekend fri to sun at this YHA and was not expecting much so to get a modern 4 bed (Bunks)room ensuite facilities in excellent condition was a real bonus. Very clean and with the best wet room shower in the room that I have found anywhere was great . Food was above average with breakfast okay but no fried eggs if it wasn't there then just ask and it would arrive . Dont expect hotel style service and treat the staff well and you will find this an enjoyable stay . Our party was about 40 in total and we had a great time with private room for party one night and bar that stayed open after midnight bottled beers and wine only with limited spirits but more than sufficient and well priced. Used games room to play pool ,Jenga and table football . In all very reasonable and better than most b&bs in the same area Will be visiting again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Stephen D, Manager at YHA Stratford upon Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. The hostel is a great place for large family groups. Our function room can host parties, meals, film-screenings and meetings and our bar and restaurant can cater for groups of any size. This means families can enjoy the sociable nature of this YHA hostel, but can also retreat to a more private area for family and friend oriented time.

We like to vary our breakfasts and do switch between scrambled, fried and poached eggs, though- as you have discovered, we will do our best to fulfill any requests and provide you with the breakfast that you want to start your day.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you're thinking about it... do it! You won't be disappointed.

My girlfriend and I visited Stratford-upon-Avon for a two-night weekend stay. The hostel is set in a quiet, idyllic little spot just outside of Stratford, nestled in between rolling fields dotted with hay bales, a stunning little church and (quite frankly) one of the nicest restaurants/wine bars you could hope for, The Baraset - which we ate at on the Saturday and was easily the best meal I've had this year.

You can be in Stratford in a couple of minutes by car/bus/taxi. Although I'd thoroughly recommend walking in. It takes half an hour (less if you're a brisk walker) and you walk in via 'Millionaires Row' - some of the houses are quite breathtaking and it certainly adds to the excitement of heading into the town, which doesn't disappoint either.

The hostel itself is an old country manor, and the rooms are furnished to an impressive standard, far above what I was expecting. The staff were second to none, I'd expect the level of service I received here from a 4* hotel which would probably have cost me 1000% more than what I'd paid. Everyone was welcoming, well mannered and took every effort to make sure we were well looked after.

Superb from start to finish. Would have no hesitation in recommending the hostel and returning myself.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom R

Im sure many past guests would agree that our surroundings are stunning, from our lush, extensive grounds, to the picturesque Stratford-upon-Avon and beautiful Alveston village on our doorstep, to the Cotswolds beyond. We are ideally located to take in the best countryside that Warwickshire and neighboring counties have to offer, as well as being close to major towns and Cities.

Any guests staying with us in the near future may like to note that we also have a restaurant and licensed bar in the hostel, serving a range of classic dishes at very competitive prices, with the added knowledge that all of our profits are put back in to the great work of our charitable organisation, helping us to maintain our hostels for many generations to come.

We hope to see you agin in the near future. Thanks again.