YHA Stratford upon Avon
Stratford Limes Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$139
The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel(Charlecote)(Great Value!)
US$76
  • Bar/Lounge
Stratford Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$134
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$197
US$141
  • Pool
US$203
Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$225
US$128
Orbitz.com
US$136
US$122
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$108
Priceline
Sequoia House(Stratford-upon-Avon)
All reviewsyouth hostelgames roombunk bedsperson roomnice loungeschool partystratford upon avonself catering kitchenshower and toiletbus stop rightgreat buildinglarge groundsshort drivefamily breakextractor fanup to datereception desk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hostel with my 3 children so we could visit Shakespeare's birthplace. Ideally located only 5/10 mins away. The hostel has had a major refurbishment. All the facilities were new. Our private en-suite room was amazing, so clean and perfectly formed with a wet room! Brilliant!
I was very worried about catching the final of "The Great British Bake Off" but with 3 TV's in the hostel this was possible!
My only complaint was meal times. The staff member there I suspect is new and inexperienced. Her speed and service skills were minimal. The meals were good value (apart from children's meal which was a very unappetising pizza). This would not put me off staying again or recommending the hostel to friends.
All the other staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013
Stephen D, Manager at YHA Stratford upon Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

It's good to hear that you had a great time with us. As you mentioned, our three TVs can be tuned to any Freeview station, allowing you to catch up on the next installment of your favourite show, or catch the early morning news and weather. We also have lounge space without televisions, and now have a new library area with books and boargames, where you can exchange books or just pick one out to enjoy during your stay.

Our staff and volunteers are all trained in customer service, so Im sorry to hear your mealtime was not to our usual high level of service. I will of course refresh everyone on our expected levels. Our childrens menu is great value, and under10s eat free. It includes smaller portions of our entire main menu as well as some special children-only options.

As with many of our reviews, I'm glad that you mentioned our excellent value for money, future guests might like to take a look at our excellent current rates and special offers by telephoning the hostel or visiting our website.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you're looking for a peaceful hostel to get a good nights sleep at after a long day then this probably isn't the hostel for you.
The management actively promotes it as a venue for large parties which has a couple of downsides for the lone visitor.
Firstly it can make you feel like your intruding on a private function, when I stayed there was a birthday party for 50 or so people who had spread themselves throughout all the social areas.
Secondly the noise, parties aren't quiet and neither are lots of people coming and going in the early hours.
The reception being open until midnight doesn't help matters either as it permits very late arrivals into the dorms.
It's a shame really as it's a lovely building in a nice spot.
I shall stick to the smaller hostels off the beaten track in future.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank 33Bob

The nature of our building and our facilities allow us to welcome a wide spectrum of bookings, from the lone traveller such as yourself, to families, school groups and party bookings. We take the comfort and enjoyment of every customer in to consideration, so I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

When we do have party bookings,which is quite rare, we still hold in place the same rules that we expect all guests to comply with, including quiet during sleeping hours. In general, any private parties of a significant number would take place in our seperate function room, and as such, shouldn't intrude too much on other guests. Of course, we can not exclude any party members from any other areas of the building, and, of the 4 or 5 large party bookings that we have had since re-opening in the Spring, I can't think of any obvious incidences of complaint from other guests.

Many people enjoy booking large family groups in because we provide a safe and enjoyable environment different to many other large venues.

Perhaps you would enjoy staying with us during our quieter winter months, where we offer extremely good rates with the same great welcome.

You can always telephone ahead to see how busy one of our hostels is before making your reservation.

Thank you.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at YHA in a private room and really liked it. The hostel is in a beautiful mansion-like building. The private room we were in was modern and spacious with its own ensuite - in fact it was just as good as a hotel room. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again!

One thing to be aware of is that the hostel is some distance from Stratford-upon-Avon - I think just over 2 miles, which takes about 30-40 minutes to walk. There is a bus but it operates infrequently (every 30 to 60 minutes) and doesn't run early in the morning or late at night. We were able to plan our trips into town to take the bus where possible, but did have to walk a couple of times (eg late at night after seeing a RSC show). This wasn't an issue for us but it's something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jupey12

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it means a lot that people are willing to share their experiences, and helps us to evolve and improve.

I agree that our facilities are of a high standard, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Although we are a little way out of town, the walk-in is only around 30 minutes. Taxi fares are reasonable, and often cheaper than the bus if there are 3 or more people travelling together.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have been hostelling 40 years and in August this was my first visit to the newly refurbished Stratford upon Avon hostel, which is at Alveston about 1.5-2 miles from the centre of Stratford.

I was in a 6 bedded dorm on the first floor.

The staff at the hostel are brilliant, very helpful and nothing too much trouble. The food is good, I had breakfast each day (at £4.99) and two evening meals. The restaurant looks out over the front garden.

The bedrooms are clean and have a wash basin, mine wasn't en-suite but there were three showers and two toilets nearby. I have an issue with the showers, they are far too powerful and waste a great deal of water, additional I do think more could be done to provide for clothes in the showers, two hooks isn't enough for clothes that are taken off, clean clothes and towel. In my six person room there were 3 lockable storage units, this meant that three hostellers wouldn't have secure storage, given the size of the room I do wonder at this decision.

There are good sitting rooms in the hostel, one with a television and the other without. There is also a games rooms. For those who want to self cater there is a kitchen with cooking and refrigeration equipment.

For those who don't want to drive the bus stops outside the hostel and runs into the late evening.

I did the Shakespeare Birthplace, 5 places ticket, Butterfly World and also went to the RSC for All's Well that Ends Well while I was there. There is plenty to do in Stratford. I also travel over to Snowshill Manor (NT) in the Cotswolds and Charlecote Manor (NT) which is only a couple of miles from the hostel.

For those who want to have a cheap break then Tesco points can be used to buy hostel nights on a 3 for 1 offer (Shakespeare's Birthplace and Butterfly World can also be bought on a 4 for 1 offer).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your views.

I will investigate the shower situation as we take our comittment to being environmentally friendly very seriously and as such, have motion-sensored lighting throughout the building, and a committment to recyclying as much as is feasibly possible.

In addition to the lockable room cupboards, we have a mumber of lockers available for safekeeping of valuables.

Future guests might find it useful to note that tickets to many local attractions are available from reception at heavily discounted rates.

Thank you for recognising our staff team's friendly approach, we work very hard to make sure all of our customers feel welcomed and well- looked after during their stay.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Spent a weekend fri to sun at this YHA and was not expecting much so to get a modern 4 bed (Bunks)room ensuite facilities in excellent condition was a real bonus. Very clean and with the best wet room shower in the room that I have found anywhere was great . Food was above average with breakfast okay but no fried eggs if it wasn't there then just ask and it would arrive . Dont expect hotel style service and treat the staff well and you will find this an enjoyable stay . Our party was about 40 in total and we had a great time with private room for party one night and bar that stayed open after midnight bottled beers and wine only with limited spirits but more than sufficient and well priced. Used games room to play pool ,Jenga and table football . In all very reasonable and better than most b&bs in the same area Will be visiting again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Stephen D, Manager at YHA Stratford upon Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. The hostel is a great place for large family groups. Our function room can host parties, meals, film-screenings and meetings and our bar and restaurant can cater for groups of any size. This means families can enjoy the sociable nature of this YHA hostel, but can also retreat to a more private area for family and friend oriented time.

We like to vary our breakfasts and do switch between scrambled, fried and poached eggs, though- as you have discovered, we will do our best to fulfill any requests and provide you with the breakfast that you want to start your day.