“Compliments to the chef!”
Review of The Ferry

The Ferry
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Alveston
Price range: US$14 - US$34
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2014

A wonderful, tradition English pub. Ordered the venison and mushroom pie which was delicious. Only bettered by the sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was to die for. Friendly, attentive staff and relaxed, pleasant atmosphere. Looking forward to visiting again when I am next in the UK!

There are newer reviews for The Ferry

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Great evening, food was superb can recommend the fish cakes, a welcoming pub nothing was too much trouble, thank you to all.

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Had an evening meal with friends on Saturday 4th January. 2 ordered the fish and chips, which was nice, clearly their speciality. 1 had venison pie which was tasteless. I made the mistake of having calves liver. It was unlikely that it was calves liver at all, as a fan of liver I would say it was lambs. One piece was chewy and tough not usual for calves. The other piece was actually raw. Not rare but totally uncooked!! They had actually put a piece of uncooked liver on my plate. The lighting was not great so it was not until I cut into it that blood splattered across my plate and all over the knife. We all felt physically sick. I called the waitress who seemed to be offended by our request to remove it. She said it should be pink in the middle. This was not not pink, it was raw!! She took it away and brought a replacement which was cooked nicely but very tough and stringy. She was reluctant to change my cutlery. I couldn't enjoy the replacement and left most of it. No apology was made and to be fair, when the chef saw the raw liver on the plate he would have been as horrified as us and should have presented himself with an apology. We were just ignored and they charged for the meal as well. We were given our bill as soon as the food was finished. No one came to ask if we needed further drinks or coffee. They couldn't wait to get rid of us. I was sick during the night and felt poorly for 2 days. I hope this is unusual practice but as we are not locals we dont know. We would certainly never return. Kitchen practices need to be reviewed if they are mixing cooked and raw meats.

10  Thank carolhills
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Service was excellent and all staff members attentive and cheerful. We were a party of 6 and all enjoyed the food. I had the tomato and wine soup which was delicious followed by a sandwich which did "what it said on the tin"; simple and tasty. My sister's risotto looked delicious.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Having booked 1 month in advance expecting the fixed price menu, our party of 9 were disappointed to find it was not available. We were further disappointed that the wine we wanted was not available and that,on an already limited menu, only 2 portions of calves liver were available (which meant that 4 people had to choose again). The puddings were uninspiring and 1 was cold in the middle. Overall an expensive let down and unlikely any of the group will visit again.

9  Thank j w