“Excellent Sunday Lunch as usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ferry

The Ferry
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Alveston
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday Lunch as usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We don't eat here often enough as there are usually 6 to 8 of us at home each Sunday. That said when we do the food and choice of food in always excellent.

Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Last minute Valentine's Day booking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had booked a local cottage for the weekend and needed somewhere close by for our evening meal.

We both found The Ferry online separately and emailed the owner on Valentine's morning to request a table... luckily there was a table left.

This was in our opinion a gastro pub with a small general menu but a monthly menu and a specials board also. It has a cosy country pub kind of atmosphere.

The waitress was polite and friendly and we weren't made to feel rushed even though it was Valentine's day.

My husband ordered the confit of duck with cassoulet and I ordered the fish and chips. The fish and chips were beautiful .. full marks! The fish was honestly the largest I've ever been served with a crispy batter and yummy chunky chips.....perfect side order of bread and butter too.
The duck however wasn't a huge portion but very tasty and tender, luckily the fish was far too much for me so my husband ate most of that too!

I had one drink and my husband had two, a main each and the bread and butter side and this came to just under £40 so not cheap but the kind of price we usually expect to spend in this type of pub.

West Hartford, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Compliments to the chef!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

A wonderful, tradition English pub. Ordered the venison and mushroom pie which was delicious. Only bettered by the sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was to die for. Friendly, attentive staff and relaxed, pleasant atmosphere. Looking forward to visiting again when I am next in the UK!

Visited January 2014
Moreton Paddox
“A thoroughly memorable culinary evening.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Great evening, food was superb can recommend the fish cakes, a welcoming pub nothing was too much trouble, thank you to all.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Don't touch the liver! !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Had an evening meal with friends on Saturday 4th January. 2 ordered the fish and chips, which was nice, clearly their speciality. 1 had venison pie which was tasteless. I made the mistake of having calves liver. It was unlikely that it was calves liver at all, as a fan of liver I would say it was lambs. One piece was chewy and tough not usual for calves. The other piece was actually raw. Not rare but totally uncooked!! They had actually put a piece of uncooked liver on my plate. The lighting was not great so it was not until I cut into it that blood splattered across my plate and all over the knife. We all felt physically sick. I called the waitress who seemed to be offended by our request to remove it. She said it should be pink in the middle. This was not not pink, it was raw!! She took it away and brought a replacement which was cooked nicely but very tough and stringy. She was reluctant to change my cutlery. I couldn't enjoy the replacement and left most of it. No apology was made and to be fair, when the chef saw the raw liver on the plate he would have been as horrified as us and should have presented himself with an apology. We were just ignored and they charged for the meal as well. We were given our bill as soon as the food was finished. No one came to ask if we needed further drinks or coffee. They couldn't wait to get rid of us. I was sick during the night and felt poorly for 2 days. I hope this is unusual practice but as we are not locals we dont know. We would certainly never return. Kitchen practices need to be reviewed if they are mixing cooked and raw meats.

9 Thank carolhills