“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Visitor Center is outstanding and the stairway leading down to the floor of the gorge quite an amazing feat. You better be in good shape because once down you have to climb the 1099 steps back to the top!!! It's worth the effort.

Visited August 2014

Tupelo, Mississippi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nature's Stairmaster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great State Park and visitor's center. The information desk provided us with a map which let you visit five different overlooks into the gorge. The only downside was the view at the bottom. Don't get me wrong. The view was great. However trecking back up the mountain from the bottom of the gorge was a little trying. However, it was well worth the workout. Tallulah Gorge is a breathtaking experience and a must see while in the area. I would highly recommend.

1 Thank Duckears
Covington, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We did the hike down the North side to the bottom back up the South side. It is not for people with health issues or bad knees. I have never walked up and down more steps in my life. It was worth it however. I recommend backpack, bottled water, snacks and a good camera. The scenery is amazing.

3 Thank Kim S
Smoky Mountain, Tennessee
147 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Don't miss & don't let the other reviews scare you!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the other reviews, I almost had myself talked out of the rim loop hike. My mom & I did it! Starting at the interpretive center, you take the south rim trail. After some observation points of beautiful views of the gorge and waterfalls, the steps begin. 310 down to the suspension bridge which crosses the gorge and connects you to the north rim trail. After you cross the suspension bridge there are 347 steps to the top. No, I didn't count them but that is what the map said that they gave us at the interpretative center. I am not in shape and weigh more than I should and did the steps. There are resting points going down & coming up. While we didn't stop when going down, we stopped for breathers coming up. But it wasn't bad at all. It was totally worth it. I think you see 5 waterfalls in all. The trail is very well maintained and either mulched along the way, other than the steps. This loop was 2 miles with lots of observation points. We also hike up to Inspiration Point. This trail was 1 mile round trip. When you start the last quarter mile, it is a rougher trail. Elevation gain of 212 feet. But still worth it! To do all of this, with a few breaks and lots of photo stops it took us 2 hours and 50 minutes. I would highly recommend both trails. If you take your time & lots of water you'll be just fine! There was another trail that went to the bottom of the gorge. We didn't do this as a permit is required and also there are over 200 steps to get to the bottom.

1 Thank Krr1975
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I would love to come back ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

So many trails so little time! Whether we took the overlook or the gorge floor it was awesome! Camping area was clean and we'll appointed. Showers we adequate if not luxurious. Nice fire pits and very friendly people. I enjoyed the interruption center and as I stated first lovely views!

1 Thank Diane H