“Yikes! Bugs/Bed Bugs?”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Thomson
New Smyrna Beac
“Yikes! Bugs/Bed Bugs?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

The hotel has a very nice reception building with deep south traditional white columns and red brick. it seemed inviting and was offered at a great price. However, the rooms are in a different older building and although they appeared clean--we found 3 bugs in the beds between the sheets. Since we have NEVER encountered bed bugs, I can't say for sure that is what they were--but they sure looked like the pictures on the internet. When we went to the desk to check-out (with one of the bugs in a small zip lock bag) the clerk didn't seemed too surprised. When asked whether they had had a problem in the past with bugs, he sort of hedged and didn't answer. (I was freaking out!) When asked if he could help us find another hotel--he said he was sorry, all he could do was give us our money back. This was at 11:00 at night after a long day in the car. What an ordeal! I've never given a bad review on anything but feel this is appropriate. BEWARE.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan L
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Susan,
Thank you for you candid feedback of our property.
We appreciate you bringing the zip lock bag to the desk. In the zip lock bag was not a "bug" but a black piece of lint. The front desk associate did apologize to you and we apologize that he did not respond to you properly. However, when we spoke with him he stated that you seemed upset and that he did not want to argue with you and show you that what was in the zip lock bag was a piece of black lint. We apologize that the lint was on the bed.
We take all our complaints seriously and did contact pest control and have the room inspected, the inspection showed no signs of bed bugs.
We have regular health department visits along with monthly pest control visits to ensure that we provide the best service to all our guests.
We hope that you will give us another try when you come back to the area.
Thanks
BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn Management and Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dawsonville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Although the hotel is older, the rooms were very clean and comfortable. We appreciated the front desk staff allowing us to check in early because no one had stayed in the room the prior night. Not every hotel will do this. Main building of the hotel has a real nice restaurant area where the breakfast (that was included) was served. Tables with tablecloths! The breakfast buffet was awesome - eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, cereal, waffles, sausage, muffins, pastries - you name it, they had it. Seveal attendants were on hand and they kept the tables clean and food restocked. Hotel had a fitness room and an outdoor pool that was away from the road. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thanks so much for the AWESOME review!! We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! My team and I at BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn in take pride in our property and appreciate your feedback! We do our best to lead the industry in superior customer care and treat all our guests like family. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, a good breakfast sure makes for a great start of your day! We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Christi Munns and BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn Team
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed during Masters weekend. Prices were probably tripled over what would be charged normally. Rooms/baths are dated, had small fridge and microwave. Restaurant and lounge on property. Great staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our property. My team and I take pride in our property and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Thanks,
Christi Munns and BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn Team
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed 3 nights for the Masters golf in April 2013. Had a pleasant room on the front of the hotel not large but ok. good sized bathroom. Clean comfortable, good selection of tv channels. Had problems with the tv and internet access initially but the receptionist sorted both quickly. Staff excellent. Nice pool and gazebo at the back, ( pool open in April )
Hot breakfast is good but dinner not always exciting, but little choice in Thomson. Close to interstate. A convenient stay.

Room Tip: Rocking chairs for rooms at the front but may be quieter at the back and closer to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thanks for the AWESOME review! I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us at BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn in Thomson, Ga. I am very proud to say that we are continuously renovating and improving our property! My team and I take pride in our property and appreciate your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Christi Munns and BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn team
atlanta,ga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

styaed with wife for one night during masters---very nice 2 queen room--nice mattress, 2 sinks, very clean,quiet--staff was very helpful Restauarnt was very good we'd stay again.Omly 30 minutes to Augusta.Whole place looked like it was redone

Room Tip: we stayed in 442--get a room on backside away from traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thanks for the great review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Thomson, Georgia .Our team at BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn take pride in our property. We are proud to say that we are continuously updating our guest rooms and are happy that you enjoyed them.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future!
Christi Munns
& BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn Team
Lakeview, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed Friday through Sunday (April 5-7, 2013) for the Tough Mudder held at the motocross park down the road. Our stay started out positive when we couldn't get a non-smoking room and mentioned this in the reservation comments and received an email from the hotel's Christi Munns a couple weeks before our stay that she had moved us to an on-smoking room. Turns out to be a king suite, and we paid for a queen room. That put the hotel in good standing with us already.

POSITIVES:
Check in went smoothly on Friday afternoon. Desk staff was friendly. We went to our room which was very clean. The bathroom was a little moldy and dated, but still fine. We had a fridge and microwave. A huge plus to us was that there was a full sink in the bathroom with the tub and toilet, plus another full sink/vanity just outside the bathroom so two of us could get ready at a time. Nice surprise.

Of course, the hot breakfast was good and a must when we travel. A hot meal: bacon, sausage, gravy, scrambled eggs, biscuits and grits. There was also a waffle maker. There was bread for toasting, juice and coffee, and usual assorted pre-packaged breakfast pastries. Applies and oranges. A nice surprise were Tazo tea packs.

Three disappointments.
1. We were disappointed to find out the hotel did not have wifi in our building # 300. We had to "check out" computer cables from the front desk. This worked fine for my husband who had his laptop, but I have a tablet, so I was disconnected for the weekend unless I walked the good distance to the hotel lobby to connect. The lobby only had four chairs (two right outside the womens and two right outside the mens), so one doesn't feel encouraged to hang out there.

2. No conditioner. I typically pack all my toiletry supplies instead of risking it, but we had just returned from an eight day trip to Honduras, so I was packing lightly. The hotel provided hand soap, bath soap, one lotion and one shampoo. We requested conditioner from the front desk, but they said they don't have it, which required a two-mile trip to Walmart to purchase some.

3. The breakfast staff is shockingly rude. The coffee is terrible. Breakfast is from 6-9am. We arrived Saturday morning at 8:20am for breakfast. There was hot food, no bread for toasting, no juice cups, no fruit, no pastries, no yogurt. We were told they do not ever stock bananas or peanut butter (devastating news for athletes lol). We had to request 2% milk as it was empty (they provide half and half or 2%). The coffee was terrible. There is a Raceway next door, and we decided to get coffee there. You know the coffee is bad if you choose gas station coffee instead. A gentlemen arrived for breakfast and asked one of the ladies working where the juice cups were. She pointed toward the general area. He told her he didn't see them, and she said, "Can't you see where my finger's pointing?!" I put down my plate, walked over, and showed him where three were stacked BEHIND the coffee urns. He wouldn't have found them on his own.
Sunday morning, we arrived at 8am for breakfast. Everything was fully stocked (including many juice cups next to the juice machine). Rudeness #2. As my husband was fixing his plate, I grabbed two knives, spoons, forks and napkins. As I turned to go to our table, a staff member said, "Hand me one of those," gesturing toward the silverware. I asked, "Which one." And she huffed, "Never mind, I'll get it myself." "Hand me one of those" might work if you are gesturing toward one thing, but I am holding six utensils and napkins. Which "one of those" are you wanting?

Oh, I almost forgot, at check in, we were given two coupons for a complimentary beer or "well beverage" in the on-site bar." We went by there Friday night, and were pleasantly surprised that it was non-smoking. Always a plus in our book.

So, there you have it. I would stay here again for our next Tough Mudder.

Room Tip: Stay away from building 300 if you are expecting WIFI.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Traveler,
I am glad that I was able to get you a non smoking room during the Tough Mudder event. I too am happy that our lounge is non smoking as well! I do apologize for the breakfast staff, I can assure you that this has been a discussion during our meeting and these issues have been corrected quickly.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed our property!
I look forward to seeing you next year.
Christi Munns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

The motel is beautiful and looks so inviting. The rooms are nice, but the beds were hard, the sink was plugged, and the toilet ran. We've stayed at Best Westerns before and the beds are always so comfy. The room for 2 double beds was cheap.

Room Tip: The rooms are not connected to the office, so you have to go outside to get to the front desk.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel3M, General Manager at White Columns Inn, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. Our team at BEST WESTERN White Columns Inn take pride in our property and appreciate your feedback. Our sincerest apologies that you had issues with your toilet, I am positive that had the front desk been made aware of this prior to your departure we could have resolved the issue quickly. Being a 133 room motel we are able to offer several different room types at various prices. I am proud to say that we are continually updating and renovating our property and our repeat guests love our beds. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomson
Hampton Inn Thomson
Red Roof Inn & Suites Augusta West
Hyatt Place Augusta
Hyatt Place Augusta
#5 of 82 in Augusta

Been to White Columns Inn? Share your experiences!