“I thought it was great”

Greater Good Barbecue
Ranked #5 of 131 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have only been here twice, but I really enjoyed it and I am VERY picky about BBQ.
The staff was friendly, I met the owner and he was nice as well.
The food that I ordered was hot and very tasty on both visits. However, the baked beans were ay too sweet.
On my second visit to the restaurant I took my boyfriend who is very selective about what he eats and he LOVED it!
I say give it a try for your self. I had the chopped brisket and the owner said they smoked the meat for 9 hours. This place is way better then the big box BBQ joints ANYDAY.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've heard mixed reviews from folks around the Tucker area about Greater Good BBQ so I decided to give it a try. Did takeout.

Was greeted at the door by a waitress with a smile. She showed me to the takeout counter. A gentleman took my order and brought it to me in less than 5 minutes.

Nice indoor decor with good music and TVs.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwhich and smoked wings. The wings were crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Decent flavor. The pork sandwhich was HUGE. Plenty of pork and very moist...BUT no smoke flavor. No bark. Not a true smokehouse? The sauces were good. I tried the Carolina and the House.

All in all my experience was alright. Portion size and prices were great. I'd probably eat here again in the future but wouldn't go out of my way to do it. I've certainly had better BBQ. I'm one of those guys that thinks the meat should speak for itself.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I am a native New Yorker who has been spending some time just outside of Atlanta as I write my 2nd novel. One of the highlights of staying in the area I am presently in is stumbling upon the Greater Good Barbecue. Admittedly, I have no idea what the name entails, nor am I any expert on barbecue food. As a New York guy who loves to barbecue in the New York summer, I am well aware what I am doing and what southern people are doing with barbecue food is very, very different - and in this case, the old adage is true - I am playing checkers while the kind folks at GG BBQ are playing chess.

I would usually be able to tell you how many times I have eaten at a given restaurant, but I stopped counting in this case due to the frequency I have wound up eating at the GG BBQ. My best estimate would be 15 to 20 times, which I think makes me a good candidate to give a fair judgment on the establishment.

To begin, the food is excellent. For a New Yorker who isn't used to southern cooking, it has been a special treat. The pulled pork is very tasty, the Carolina Pork has my mouth watering as I write this. The chili, and I have had good chili from Georgia to Maine, is top notch. When I spoke to the GM, who identified himself as Scott about the chili, I mentioned the only thing lacking was oyster crackers, which I enjoy dumping into the chili. Scott was very accommodating and stated he would order some boxes for the restaurant, which I thought was a sign of a GM who keeps his ear to the ground and is open to suggestions, even simple ones, which I think is imperative to having success when dealing with the ever changing needs of the general public.

I could list all the items on the menu, but in the interests of time, I will say I have yet to be disappointed with anything. I have actually gone in just for the desserts. But perhaps the standout on the menu is the Brunswick Stew, which is so good, I have gone in and eaten it on three consecutive days. On a symbolic note, I am away from home and it is the restaurant I chose to eat on Easter Sunday.

I think we all could agree that service can often make or break a dining experience, but I have to have a complaint at the GG BBQ. They all make a fine example for what I would only call Southern Hospitality. Bill and Tracy always have wonderful music selections playing at just the right volume, so you can hear the song and still chat it up. They also are very amiable to changing the channel on the 2 flat screen TV's to whatever program a customer would like to watch. I often drink several glasses of water with lemon when I am there, and they fill my glass repeatedly with a smile. When I have coffee to complete me meal, they fill up my cup before I can even ask for a refill. Megan has waited on me several times and always takes the time to ask how my stay is going, how my writing is going and about some of my experiences in the area. The entire wait staff is professional, cordial, capable and do their jobs with the utmost respect in mind. They have done a fine job of vetting their employees.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the prices are on the menu. I can eat like a Viking (and I often do here because the food is so good) and have a hard time spending 20 dollars. There can be no complaints on how fair the prices are at the GGBBQ.

The last point I will make is the cleanliness in the restaurant. A massive effort is made to keep the premises spotless - from the tables to the floor...all the way to the restrooms, which I think is important as well. The management does an excellent job of keeping everything remarkably clean even during peak periods of lunch and dinner.

My only suggestion (besides those oyster crackers... Oh...and I wish they served breakfast) would be to put up a very large (cool) sign outside letting everyone know who drives down Hugh Howell Road that some of the finest southern barbecue cooking is happening right here in Tucker. Any restaurant this good deserves a sign letting the world know about it! (I learned that from the guy who does the TV show Bar Rescue.)

I am quite sure the GGBBQ will continue to gain loyal customers in the coming weeks and months and be one of the hottest restaurants in the area. It is absolutely the best food I have had in Georgia. I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Had lunch here 4 people; took the BBQ plate. The Pulled Pork was excellent. And the side Chili was very good also. The coleslaw unfortunately was old and had a clear smell and taste of fridge. But they changed it quickly to a salad. One my friends joining told me the BBQ salad was very good too. But another friend joining didn't get the size of salad she ordered.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Been in a number of times. Love the different specials they keep coming up with. The food is spot on. They also have a great beer list and live music from time to time which adds to the place. Now, if they only had liquor, that would be the icing on the cake.