“Dolphin, Dolphins, everywhere”

Captain Mike's Dolphin Tours
Ranked #3 of 29 Tours in Tybee Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dolphin and sightseeing tours on Tybee Island, GA.
Charlotte, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Dolphin, Dolphins, everywhere”
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We reserved 5 spaces on the 2:00pm dolphin excursion. We only waited 15 minutes or so before we boarded the boat and got set to head out to sea. We all stood in the very front of the boat so we had great views of the old Cockspur Lighthouse, the beach, and container ships that were off in the distance. We actually saw dolphins while still tied to the dock. There were a couple of them frockling in the water around a shrimp boat.
The first mate talked to us about the dolphins natural habitat, how they breathe, sleep, and eat. We could still see the shore and the Tybee LIghthouse when we came across a shrimp boat. with plenty of dolphins following closely. The captain or "Old Man and The Sea" that's what he reminded me of began hand feeding the dolphins, which I thought was a big NO NO. Anyway, the dolphins were jumping up out of the water to retrieve the fish and small sharks they were being fed. We got great action shots of this. I know this was not exactly their "natural" feeding pattern but it worked for everyone aboard the boat. We saw what we had hoped to see even if it was a bit staged. I'm sure the tour company must know when the shrimpers are out and maybe they have some type of mutual agreement. The dolphins are beautiful. The tour was fun too. We actually did get to see them in their natural surroundings when we rented jet skis from the marina and went out into the ocean. No shrimp boats this time, just dolphins swimming around and playing in the small wakes the jet skis were making. That was so cool......my 25 & 21 year old sons were like little kids out there. It's been a long time since I've seen them act like excited kids again. It was just way cool to see. We also saw dolphins out in the ocean every day from the beach. I was thrilled and it was so worth the money we paid. The tour lasted about 90 minutes. We were all ready for a cool drink from Cafe Loco's when we pulled back up to the marina. I highly recommend this tour if you want to see dolphins up close and personal......rent a jet ski too.

3 Thank Lizaj

Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Dolphins galore!”
Reviewed 1 June 2008

I've done this tour several times, and always in the middle of July. The first time I went, the boat was the small one with the grass roof and I got soaked. Lots of water splashing up. The next time was on the big boat and I didn't bring my camera since I got wet the year before. We saw tons of dolphins. We pulled up along side a fishing boat and they were sorting their catch and throwing stuff back. The dolphins were going wild! Jumping up out of the water, my sister got wonderful pictures! Would definately recommend it, but make reservations ahead of time.

3 Thank GeorgiaOkie
South Bend, Indiana
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“This is a great dolphin tour!”
Reviewed 11 April 2008

We booked this over the phone before we got to Tybee Island and reservations are a good idea. The boat we road in is the kind where you stand up along the edge so you can see over. Before we even left the dock, we saw dolphins poking out of the water! As we left the marina, it was a fairly short trip to the spot where they were (they generally follow the shrimp boats so you can see them feeding also). Along the way we got a close up of a truly awesome old timey lighthouse (mid 1800's) Cockspur Lighthouse and also passed Fort Pulaski. It was also neat for us because we passed the beach we had just come from. (Tybee Light beach) An interesting thing I would not expect to happen always, but we saw a guy who accidentally hooked a manta ray while fishing and it jumped way up out of the water! They give you narration as you boat along about how the dolphins live, breathe, eat and play and I really enjoyed that. The dolphins came close enough to our boat that we did manage to get some really good pictures and video. One couple looked right up at us with our video and stared for a few seconds-it was thrilling! We also saw huge freighters and cargo's that caused large wake's that our boat "rode" and that was also fun. Our 3 girls, 11, 15 and 17 at the time loved it. The trip lasted around 1 1/2 hours on the boat so plan accordingly.

4 Thank travelingeast_8