“Nasty, smelly and over priced”
Review of Dunes Inn & Suites

Dunes Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
“Nasty, smelly and over priced”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We went for a weekend getaway with another couple. While waiting at the front desk one worker smashed a bug that was crawling on the floor and just left it there. One of the ladies at the front desk was complaining about the hotel phone ringing and looked very stressed out like she can not handle the job.When we got the key and walked into our friends room it was horrible. The room smelled horrible and was small and old. There was no way that I would pay $169 per night for this dump. We went back to the front desk and got our money back and went to jacksonville florida where we got an awesome room at the holiday inn express for a cheaper rate and the room was excellent. I will never go back to the dunes and would not recommend anybody to go there. I would not let my dog stay at this place. This place should be shut down!

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank peacher48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Tallapoosa, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We booked the dunes for a quick vacation with our kids thinking it was going to be just ok. but, we were surprised how nice it was. we had tile in our rooms which is smart for sandy feet. WE had an awesome little kitchen in our room.The service from the front desk was also great. Pool was good. plus, you are close to everything we walked alost everywhere. If you want a cheap room with great service book here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lifeisgood0308
Vinings, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The location of this hotel is very close (two blocks) to the tourist shops and beaches. The receptionists were fairly polite. We rented a one bedroom queen bed for two nights. These are in the annex building behind the main building. The room felt pretty cramped for two people but we only stayed there for sleeping and changing clothes. You would not want to "hang out" in these rooms. The furniture, bedding and tv were way outdated. They do have a mini-fridge and microwave in every room in case you need it. If you are staying in Tybee I would reccommend renting a beach house or condo if your there for three or more days.

Room Tip: Get a room with a King Bed or Doubles.
  • Stayed May 2011
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We planned a last minute spring break trip with the kids and this hotel was the only one I found with vacancies. Wasn't sure what to expect for 99 a night. We were pleasantly surprised. The room has 2 soft beds, a mini fridge and microwave, 2 vanity areas with sinks....which is nice with 4 people in a room. The room was on the 2nd floor so it had a back door that opened to a smoking balcony with 2 chairs that overlooked the pool. The beach was a short ten minute walk straight thru ocean plaza resort. Shopping and the pier are all night there. The breakfast clubis almost across the street and has a great bfast. The hotel only offers cereal and danish type bfast. The staff was very nice and let us do early check in, they actually called to tell us our room was ready and it was only 1130am. The one and only negative thing I can say is the tub didn't drain which was kind of gross.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 207
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank partyofive00
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2011

My husband and I with two family members stayed at the hotel on vacation after our (my husband and I ) wedding 3-26-2011. I had the pleasure of meeting a very nice person and employee Diane Brown. She is the picture of great customer service. I would stay here on every trip to Tybee. I am very pleased with the overall service from our experience at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We went to Tybee Island last minute with no room reserved for New Years Eve. We felt very lucky to find a room and I must say the lady who checked us in was wonderful. She allowed us to look at the room before paying and was so friendly even though the phone rang nonstop while she was checking us in. You can't ask for a better location, room had fridge and microwave and we paid less than most dinners cost in Savannah! Overall if you are on a budget or just needing a place to sleep this is it. No frills, but clean and friendly! Just what you expect in a beach town. And they have doughnuts and coffee to send you off!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2010

As I was driving into Tybee late this afternoon from Savannah ominous storm clouds appeared and as I pulled into town a loud siren went off and everyone srarted running, shops closed their doors, and I thought the world was ending- or a tornado at the very least. It was a severe storm warning but apart from some rain and a bit of lightening it did not end up lasting long- but I didn't know that at the time. I literally pulled inthe the 1st hotel I saw to seek shelter for the night and landed at Dunes Inn. I got a queen room and it cost $89, which is highway robbery. This room is awful. The carpet is filthy, the two chairs' upolstery is filthy, there are no bedskirts or even mattress pads. There is a small pad under a bottom sheet that is unfitted and and no blanket. The bedspread seems pretty new but no idea how often it is washed. The AC is an old wall unit. The bathroom has peeling grout, an ancient stained tub and cracked tile that looks like it is from the 50's.The sink is so small I canot even fit my small water bottle under the tap to refill it. There is NO counter space to put any toiletries. A small tv is perched on a tiny bedside table facing bed and the window is very small as well.
Prisoners have better accomadations than this. I am in the annex behind the main hotel so maybe the rooms in the other building are better but I cannot imagine ANYONE liking this hotel or wanting to cone back here.

I spent the previous 2 nights at a nice Comfort Inn in Hilton Head SC a block from the beach for the same price in a much nicer room in a much more upscale neighborhood. Tybee is way overpriced for what it is. I had a great dinner and drinks out on the deck at the Sting Ray next door. Great place-good live music and very friendly service. I stayed there as long as possible before coming back to my cell.I will be out of here 1st thing in the am!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Atlantis Inn
Atlantis Inn
#7 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Dunes Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!