“The best restaurant on Tybee Island”

Tybee Island Social Club
Ranked #28 of 54 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“The best restaurant on Tybee Island”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Excellent server, timely service, and delicious food. The ambiance is wonderful, but the location is less than ideal. This place belongs on the water. Regardless, we will be back!

• Visited June 2014

“RUDE RUDE RUDE MANAGER !!!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Went to social because we usually LOVE it. Worse experience we have ever had there!! The food tasted re-heated, when they claim that everything is "FRESH" .... The steak defiantly wasn't!! They changed everything, && they should change it back. Ceviche was nasty, crab and shrimp nachos needed FLAVOR because they were way to bland.. Just a bad experience.. && asked to speak to to the manager & the server was more understanding than his RUDE self was, he looked the around the whole time he talked to us.. Like he could care less about what we said.. He shouldn't have the position he has.. He isn't a good, knowledgeable, nice, understanding manager., he is obviously there for the money.. Sorry, manger is sorry, the place is sorry, just good place that's BAD now... We live on tybee, & probably NEVER will return. Horrible management.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Mandi M
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great Staff, Great Food and Lovely Owners”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited this restaurant during the Beach Bum Parade. Which, unknowingly, consist of a huge water gun fight. We walked into the restaurant, up to the bar, meet Will (the bartender) awesome host, ordered our beer and proceed to the two chairs located just on the outside of the fence on the main drag. From this spot we were able to watch all the activities without getting wet. During that time we meeet a few additional servers and then one of the owners. Sarah was extremely nice. We chatted for a while. They are even opening up a new restaraunt. After parade was over we wandered back in and we were given a high top table at the bar. We ordered a hamburger and fries. Which was perfectly cooked and delicious. I can't say enough about the staff we encountered Will (the bartender) and Kate our waitress. Great place. That offers a feeling of like being home and going to your favorite establishment. We enjoyed it so much we stopped back the next day to grab a drink to bring to the beach (something you can do here) and had a quick conversation with Kurtis. Great owners and we wish them great success! Thanks for taking good care of us.

Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beach atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food here is good but not great. I usually get a burger or a taco. The orange pork taco and steak taco are tasty, and the regular burger is well flavored. Last week I got the chorizo burger -spicy but very dry. The Spanish-style patatas (regular or sweet potato) are nice, especially with the dipping sauce. However, none of the food is anything you crave. The cocktails are pricey but really wonderful, the beer selection is pretty extensive for a place that size...but the atmosphere is what we come for. Sit under the live oaks if there is a wait and sip something from the bar, and be sure to say you want patio seating. The covered outdoor area is breezy, with white curtains to add to the ambience. The tables are simple wood, the service is usually on plastic, but the beach vibe you get from eating there makes a trip worthwhile.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Complete Letdown Due to Poor Service”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Tybee Island over Memorial Day weekend with two other couples and made it a point to visit the Social Club based on recommendations and reviews. Unfortunately, I would never pass the recommendation on to anyone else based on our experience. The following review was written three days later to help me cool off and avoid blasting this place unfairly.

So let me begin. We put our name on the waiting list Friday night and were told it would be about 50 minutes, which was fine. From that point on, it went all downhill.

Our group made our way to the bar for a drink to pass some time. All six of us stood around the bar waiting for at least 15 minutes without a bartender even making eye contact with us. We literally walked next door, bought the drinks somewhere else and brought them back over. STRIKE 1.

After seeing multiple people get seated before us despite arriving after we put our names on the waiting list, the frustration began increasing. When we finally got our table (about an hour later), our hostess told us they weren't able to accommodate parties of 6 or more that night. I repeat, we were told we'd have to be seated separately in parties of 4 and 2. No mention of this until now. It doesn't even matter that the three couples came from three separate states outside of Georgia and were really looking forward to enjoying a night together. This would ruin dinner for anyone.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

Upon being seated, I asked the hostess why multiple parties that arrived after us had already been seated, especially considering we were split up. She argued with me, telling me that these people had been waiting a long time. So not only did she ignore the fact we had already waited an hour, but she basically called me a liar. STRIKE 2

AND NOW, THE CHERRY ON TOP

We weren't even seated for 5 minutes when the same hostess sat a party of SEVEN down at a table next to us. Now we had been called liars and been lied to as well. STRIKE 3

At this point, no one even cared to be in that restaurant, but we had already invested too much time to search out another location. I don't even have anything to say about the food. Honestly, I was too infuriated to remember whether it was any good or not. I'm sure it likely was, but I'll never know because this isn't a restaurant I'd return to.

4 Thank BennyArgo
beachamb, General Manager at Tybee Island Social Club, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thanks for your review. The best advice I can give to people when they visit Tybee on Holiday weekends is to make sure that you bring your patience with you. You will wait a while for drinks, your seating may not be ideal, tables will take a long time to obtain and food may take a while too. You see, our little island isn't really built for the mobs of people that descend upon us for these big weekends. We do out best and most people understand that.

My hostess will seat people to the best of her ability based on what is happening in the restaurant at any given moment. You weren't lied to or cheated, perhaps she just had the ability to seat a 7 top at that very moment and could have potentially seated your little later all together but it sounds like you were already unhappy with how long you waited as it was.

If you want to base your experience of our restaurant on one of our craziest weekends of the year you're certainly welcome to. It's obviously not normal for us and generally customers get that and go with the flow. I'm sure you'd love us if you tried it out at a different time. Just an FYI though. It's not uncommon for waits on tables to run 45 minutes to an hour and a half on Tybee during peak times.

Best wishes,