“Our visit to Tybee”

Ranked #10 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: Nestled between the lighthouse and the beach, the North Beach Bar and Grill offers an amazing lunch and dinner menu that will tantalize even the most reserved palate. Eclectic fusion with a Caribbean flair, our menu features local, sustainable seafood and the freshest ingredients. While our chefs create gourmet dishes rivaling the best restaurants in town, we also serve hot dogs, crab cake sandwiches, fish tacos, and wings in our quaint beach shack by the sea. So whether you've been out on the beach and want a cold beer and a burger or you're planning a catered business luncheon, the North Beach Bar & Grill is the place for you.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Recommended by Mr Jobs that we met on the beach! He was right. The shrimp was excellent and the red beans and rice were delish!

1  Thank StephanieEMills

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We decided to come up from the beach to catch some lunch. The waitress we had had a rather snotty attitude and wasn't friendly at all. We had a very long wait to receive the food but it was stated in the menu to expect long waits during peak season. My husband and I were both anxious to try their fish tacos. They had a good taste. The fillings in the taco overwhelmed the taste of fish. The fish pieces were small but tasty by themselves. They really need more fish in the taco for the full effect. The fries that came with the tacos were very greasy. Some of my other family had the sweet potato fries and they were good. Atmosphere was ok. There was alot of what seemed to be trashed tables on the other side of the building and I couldn't understand why they wouldn't clean up the mess. They appear to have been there for quite a while. Overall, between the service, the atmosphere, and the meal, I have to say that it was so-so. 1 scanty fish taco and a bunch of fries for $7 was over-priced in my opinion.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Food was pretty good...issue here is definitely the gnats. I understand you're outside and there is going to be flying insects, but there's no fan or anything to help keep them at bay. It gets a little ridiculous. Seriously. Having to eat with one hand and constantly fan your food with the other is no one's idea of a good time. On a positive note, foodwise it's probably the best food on the island if you don't like seafood.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The seafood fritters, crab cakes, and asparagus and crab were all very good. It was nice to sit outside and enjoy the band. Go early because it gets very busy around 7 p.m. The restaurant substituted chicken for seafood in the Thai Noodles upon our request, which was very nice. Burgers and BBQ Sandwich were as expected with very good sweet potato fries or whatever side you wanted to order.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped into North Beach Cafe on the recommendation of a maître d' out of Savannah. I was expecting beach food at best, in the cute but un-air conditioned establishment. I was in for an awakening.

I ordered one of the day's specials-the shrimp tacos, added to an order of fries. Signs posted thru-out the shack read "be patient-food cooked to order." We waited ~40 minutes, but it was WELL worth it. Both of my food items were perfect. My husband has raved about his Seared Tuna Salad for days. It's hard to imagine that the little shack on the beach in Tybee can rival some of the more well-known establishments in Savannah, but it was true for our meal!
Great for kids and adults. It was hot as hell, so babies and the elderly might was to find a more modern dining cafe, but I HIGHLY recommend North Beach Cafe.