“Nice place, but could be better”
Review of Hotel Tybee

Hotel Tybee
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Nice place, but could be better”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First, I think we were WAY over-charged, but I was trying to find a beach front room in a hurry and did not have access to a computer to do PriceLine or Hotel.com, so I agreed to the over the phone price. The room was nice with a great view. I enjoyed people watching in the parking lot as much as I did the ocean view. The problems, which should be corrected: chairs were so old that they had black "rub" spots on the arms; drapes, rug, chairs and bedspread colors & patterns clashed very badly; air conditioner kept us cool only if set at 64 degrees; there were no pads & pencils, no menu from the restaurant, no list of numbers of other places to eat in the area, no phone book, etc.; the soap for the basin & the tub was TINY; the shower head/water pressure was awful. When we arrived and when we left, it took almost an hour of stopping at every floor to find a baggage cart ! I called the front desk & they apologized, but did not offer any help.

All that aside, we had a nice two days looking at the water, a good meal from the restaurant, the room and bath were clean. We might go back if I could get a better price.

Room Tip: Ocean views are only available on one side and on floors 2 and up.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzanne J
OPBR Management T, Owner at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
I/we agree with you...the hotel is "nice" with the potential to be "great". The hotel was sold to our company on July 31, 2014. In the process, we acquired one of the best teams I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I am so excited to see what we can accomplish. Please know that we recognize our shortcomings and have an aggressive plan in place to make significant improvements to the hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. As you can imagine, we are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is very outdated, so don't expect any luxuries. I would think that any negative reviews about this hotel came from expecting too much out of it. The rooms were clean, just very dated. We had a great view of the beach. The location of the hotel is fabulous. We were here for a long weekend and did not move our car until it was time to leave. We love being able to walk around to shops, restaurants, and bars, and this hotel has it all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whitney W
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. The hotel was sold to our company on July 31, 2014. Please know that we recognize our shortcomings and have an aggressive plan in place to make significant improvements to the hotel. We are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Port Wentworth, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I realize that this hotel was built back in the 60's but they really need to update and remodel the rooms. The room was musty smelling and the bathroom was small. The views are good depending on which side you stay on. The best thing about Ocean Plaza is that it is very convenient to the beach right behind it, the Tybee Island pier and pavilion, and the proximity to really good restaurants. For as little time as we spent in the room, the prices are too high.

Room Tip: If you stay here and want a really good view, make sure it is the top floor facing the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie R
Location, location, location...the hotel is, as you point out, ideally located. Please know that we have owned the hotel for less than a week. In that time, we have implemented a preventative maintenance program and started scrubbing the hotel from top to bottom. The improvements have been noticed by all our guests. We are FAR (really far) from done. Over the next few months we will start remodeling and I promise we will offer a world-class hotel. I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate the honest feedback on TripAdvisor. Please come back and visit Tybee again in the future.

Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

After reading some of the reviews, prior to my trip, I was nervous about staying here. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. You can tell from the website that the hotel is somewhat aged and could use updates, so I was expecting that. Each one of their photos is entirely accurate. I got a good deal through Priceline, so I feel like the price I paid was fair. I do agree that prices above $200/night are over what this property is worth. I ended up with an ocean front room with one king size bed. We were on the first floor, however, so we couldn't actually see the ocean from our balcony. We were looking over the parking lot and a sand dune. If you had a 2-3 floor room, you would have a beautiful ocean view.
Location: Fantastic. Steps from the beach and right on the main road on Tybee. Easy to find.
Cleanliness: Absolutely fantastic. I was thoroughly impressed. You might find a crack in the ceiling or a rust stain on something, but who cares. It was older, but still very clean. Everywhere I went there was someone cleaning something. The pool, restrooms, and lobby were also very clean.
Comfort: The bed was super comfortable, the a/c worked perfectly, the shower worked well and heated/cooled just fine, and every convenience you need is right at your fingertips.
Personnel: I encountered nothing but extremely kind and helpful people. The restaurant onsite was delicious, had a stunning view of the ocean, was reasonably priced, and the staff was extraordinarily great.
I would 100% recommend this hotel IF you are getting a good deal on the price. I wouldn't pay more than $150/night for it because I just think there are better options for the higher price ranges. But $150/night or less, this place has my full endorsement. Thanks for a great stay Ocean Plaza!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SMV081711
YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH...LITERALLY!!! Since purchasing the hotel a week ago, I have been overwhelmed by the incredible team at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort and the positive guest feedback. To be frank, the hotel and restaurant is in need of remodeling. We have a well thought out plan in place and will immediately start to make improvements. We are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again in the future. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Sorry peeps but.... I have NOTHING bad to say about this hotel! If you did your homework you would see that this place was build in the 60's, not bad for a old hotel with water all around it! Wonderful view, clean, cold, and quite rooms. We had a GREAT week here and no I'm not getting paid to say this, it's the truth. Not a 5 star hotel but a really great place to visit.

Room Tip: Ocean view, above the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
Thank you soooooooo much for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It is important to note that the hotel was sold to our company on July 31, 2014. We have an amazing team of dedicated individuals. In just the first week, they have made tremendous strides in improving the hotel and restaurant. Over the next few months, we have an aggressive plan in place to make significant improvements to the hotel. We are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

So this hotel was probably the greatest thing ever back in 1989. It definitely shoes it's age (I'm really not sure when it was built) but there are few choice as far as hotels on the island. The rooms were clean and large. Each has a balcony, which I loved. The bed was fairly comfortable. I like really soft beds, and this wasn't very oaf to but it was too hard with springs poking either. It was comfortable. Our room had a fridge and was on the beach side with a dune view. It was the same price as an inland view. Had it been more, I would have opted for the cheaper room because they view is basically of a public parking lot for the beach. The tub/shower definitely showed it's age, but it served it's purpose. The main complaint we had was the the room was felt moist, and things often felt damp. That's probably common for the area, but it made us feel sticky. It has extremely easy access to the beach, and we were able to walk over without having to pay to park. Which is nice because the meter readers are rampant! The entry into the building a room was neat because you just hold your card to the card reader to get in. It was kind if humorous that they had something so modern like that but didn't update the rooms or decor. Overall it was a decent stay for around $150. I wouldn't pay more than that, and it hotels weren't so scarce on the island. I wouldn't have even paid that for it. It's also within easy waking distance to restaurants and stores.

Stayed July 2014

#3 of 8 in Tybee Island
Tybee Island Inn
Tybee Island Inn
#4 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!