“Great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Clay City, Illinois
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel was a little dated but was great for us. We were not there for the rooms to be first class just clean, and they were. We had oceanview on the 4th floor. The sunrises were awesome. The staff at desk were not that helpful until I complained to manager, then they went out of their way to be nice. Shouldn't have to complain to get decent service. All in all nice place to stay. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want oceanview stay on 4th floor on north or south sides
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gayle H
OPBR Management T, Owner at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee, staying with us and sharing your experience. The hotel was bought on 7/31/14 fully recognizing that we had plenty of "opportunities for improvement". My team members and I are wildly excited about our future improvements. I'm sorry that there was an issue at the front desk that wasn't immediately resolved to your satisfaction. I create a culture of empowerment and taking ownership. Each team member is in the process of embracing my expectations and learning. I do my very best to lead by example. If we make a mistake we take responsibility and "make things right". I'm glad that you came away satisfied and hope you will come back to experience our new hotel in the spring/summer of 2015.

Again, thank you for your patience and the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Alsip
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was our first visit to Tybee Island and I was kind of concerned about staying at Ocean Plaza due to some negative reviews from the week before. Well, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this hotel turned out to be. We were in a suite on the second floor and it was very roomy and CLEAN. We had an ocean view from our balcony and we learned that the view is even better from the third and fourth floors. The beds were comfortable; however, the covers around the box spring mattresses need to be upgraded due to some rips and tears. The motel was quiet, and there were no problems.The pool was clean and in good repair. This hotel is not right on the beach but it's as close to the beach as you can get because of a sand dune and a public parking lot in front of it. I didn't find that to be a problem at all. There are wooden walkways over the sand dunes so it is easy to get to the beach.

Room Tip: Get a fourth floor ocean side room if you want a great view of the ocean and the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret H
We really appreciate you visiting Tybee for the first time and allowing us to host your visit. My team and I genuinely appreciate your kind comments. Please know that I share all reviews internally with my team members. We are diligently working improving what is in our immediate control. Cleanliness and maintenance issues are our top priority. I can tell you that the over night improvements have been substantial. Since purchasing the hotel on 7/31/14, we have made guest satisfaction our absolute number one priority. I have immediate plans to improve our bedding. Orders will be placed shortly to offer our guests a truly luxurious nights sleep. As you pointed out, the hotel is NOT located "on the beach". We are "near" the beach. For any future guests considering our hotel, we are separated from the ocean by a very thin parking lot (four rows of vehicles) and dunes. Our two top floors of the hotel offer stunning ocean views and get reserved well in advance.

Please consider coming back after we have completed this winter's remodeling project. I am confident that you will be impressed with the improvements.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have been to this hotel a couple of times this past year just because of the great views and the great beach. I was unsure if I was I should visit again since the property is showing its age and due to some cleanliness issues I experienced in the past. This past trip I arrived on the day that new ownership took over. You could tell the employees were so excited about this change as almost every employee I encountered wanted to tell about what just occurred. One employee even gave me the web site of the new owners to check out & after reviewing their site they seem to be “the real deal”.

The hotel wasn't sold out so I was able to upgrade to the third floor ocean view. Views were great and I had a nice balcony to sit out and watch all the beach action. Since I have been here before I knew it was not going to be the Taj Mahal – but at least my room was clean and the staff was friendly. The lamps even had outlets built into them so I could plug my I-phone in at night instead of unplugging the alarm clock like you have to do in most hotels. I (we) only had breakfast in the restaurant which was a buffet for $10.95 and was perfect for our morning hunger. The restaurant has amazing views of the beach. If you are not going to eat there at least go to the restaurant for the views. I am no restaurant owner but that space would do well for wedding receptions. For dinner we went across the street to the Social Club. Kind of an upscale sandwich restaurant. We had a great service and good food. They even had entertainment that starts at 9pm. Although the music can be a bit loud if you want to have a conversation, the band starting singing Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison the whole crowd got into it.

At check out I ran into the new General Manager, Brett. Now I have stayed there three other times and never once saw the previous manager. Brett told me about the new owners and the plans for cleaning up and redecorating the hotel. He assured me to give the hotel another chance as things will continue to get better and to keep an eye on the web site for their improvements. Based on meeting Brett I will be back next summer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ColdRumble
OPBR Management T, Owner at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
First, I want to say it was very nice meeting you. I enjoyed hearing about your vacation. We really appreciate you staying with us repeatedly and posting a review on TripAdvisor. I love my new team and their enthusiasm. Being new to Tybee (and Georgia) has been very helpful in seeing both the hotel and community from a visitor's perspective. If you like the beach, people watching, biking, dolphins, turtles, relaxing, breath taking sun rises & sunsets, building a sand castle, shopping, adult beverages, great live music, southern hospitality, surfing, amazing fishing, photography, art, historic sites, light houses, kite flying, staying up late/sleeping in...Tybee Island has to be one of the best vacation destinations in America.

We will look forward to seeing you again in the future. Until next time...safe travels!

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Great place to get away and unwind. Beautiful beach and great views from my hotel balcony. The beach is right in front of the hotel and there are restaurants and shops close by. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was very good. The hotel staff is very friendly and I heard there were new owners with plans to update the hotel.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Nickpan
Thank you so much for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. As you mentioned, we bought the hotel only a week ago. It has been a whirlwind experience of excitement and identifying opportunities. We are making tremendous strides just within the first week. Continue to expect improvements and please know that we are giving it 110%.

I'm blessed to have such a great team around me and really appreciate your review. We hope to see you again. Until next time...safe travels!

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First, I think we were WAY over-charged, but I was trying to find a beach front room in a hurry and did not have access to a computer to do PriceLine or Hotel.com, so I agreed to the over the phone price. The room was nice with a great view. I enjoyed people watching in the parking lot as much as I did the ocean view. The problems, which should be corrected: chairs were so old that they had black "rub" spots on the arms; drapes, rug, chairs and bedspread colors & patterns clashed very badly; air conditioner kept us cool only if set at 64 degrees; there were no pads & pencils, no menu from the restaurant, no list of numbers of other places to eat in the area, no phone book, etc.; the soap for the basin & the tub was TINY; the shower head/water pressure was awful. When we arrived and when we left, it took almost an hour of stopping at every floor to find a baggage cart ! I called the front desk & they apologized, but did not offer any help.

All that aside, we had a nice two days looking at the water, a good meal from the restaurant, the room and bath were clean. We might go back if I could get a better price.

Room Tip: Ocean views are only available on one side and on floors 2 and up.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzanne J
OPBR Management T, Owner at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
I/we agree with you...the hotel is "nice" with the potential to be "great". The hotel was sold to our company on July 31, 2014. In the process, we acquired one of the best teams I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I am so excited to see what we can accomplish. Please know that we recognize our shortcomings and have an aggressive plan in place to make significant improvements to the hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. As you can imagine, we are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is very outdated, so don't expect any luxuries. I would think that any negative reviews about this hotel came from expecting too much out of it. The rooms were clean, just very dated. We had a great view of the beach. The location of the hotel is fabulous. We were here for a long weekend and did not move our car until it was time to leave. We love being able to walk around to shops, restaurants, and bars, and this hotel has it all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whitney W
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. The hotel was sold to our company on July 31, 2014. Please know that we recognize our shortcomings and have an aggressive plan in place to make significant improvements to the hotel. We are very excited about our future and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Port Wentworth, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I realize that this hotel was built back in the 60's but they really need to update and remodel the rooms. The room was musty smelling and the bathroom was small. The views are good depending on which side you stay on. The best thing about Ocean Plaza is that it is very convenient to the beach right behind it, the Tybee Island pier and pavilion, and the proximity to really good restaurants. For as little time as we spent in the room, the prices are too high.

Room Tip: If you stay here and want a really good view, make sure it is the top floor facing the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie R
Location, location, location...the hotel is, as you point out, ideally located. Please know that we have owned the hotel for less than a week. In that time, we have implemented a preventative maintenance program and started scrubbing the hotel from top to bottom. The improvements have been noticed by all our guests. We are FAR (really far) from done. Over the next few months we will start remodeling and I promise we will offer a world-class hotel. I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate the honest feedback on TripAdvisor. Please come back and visit Tybee again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tybee Island
#11 of 28 in Hilton Head
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!