“Dirty, no towels, dirty mattress, couldn't find a parking spot and had to pay to park off site more than one time.”
Review of Sea & Breeze Hotel

Sea & Breeze Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I will never stay at this place. Poor customer service- nasty- lazy irresponsible housekeepers that left the master key to all rooms at our door. The place even tried to charge for ice ! Mattresses were dirty, sheets worn and thin, windows broken. Sandy floor, horrible experience!

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank Lorieannb

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel between 11:00 and 11:30 on the first night after an all day drive from Virginia. When we arrived, the staff from the get go was not very helpful. Parking was very tight and inconvenient ‎due to a parking garage situation. When I asked where to park, the lady at the front desk answered at first that she did not know what to tell me. She then said she would park me in a valet spot. What this meant is that I parked the car in the spot myself. When we arrived in the room that night, the bed sheets had sand in them and the room was noisy due to being on the same level of the pool. We were also right next to the large steel gate to the pool, which we heard slam shut repeatedly that night.

The next morning we asked the front desk about a different room where it would possibly be quieter. When we were moved, that room still had noise issues from adjoining rooms, and there was sand on the bed and on the floor. The next day when we got back from sightseeing, our room had not been cleaned, nor the bed made. The only evidence to show that housekeeping had been there was two towels and one washcloth.

On the third day, housekeeping came while I was taking a nap. We vacated the room to let the staff do their work. When we came back, the bed had not been made, and all we had to show, once again, was one washcloth and two towels sitting on the bed. When we complained to the front desk, they sent someone up to supposedly service the room correctly. Instead, they made the bed with the same dirty and sandy sheets. This was evidenced not only by the sand in the sheets when we went to sleep that night, but also a stain that was on my side of the bed the whole time.

This was the worst stay I have ever had at a hotel. I travel for work, and in a tight situation have stayed at an occasional Motel 6 or Super 8. When we complained to the staff, their indifference was palpable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dodgerfred
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you're looking for Sheraton on the Sea or Waverly by the Waves, stop reading right now. This motel is definitely bare bones but in a good way. Tucked into a side street, with stores, restaurants, and the beach (what seems to be the most crowded part of the beach on the whole island) within easy walking distance, this place makes up for its lack of looks with convenience and value. It could easily use some paint and rust remover, but the rooms are clean--and isn't that what really matters? Each room is furnished in a spartan manner, with 2 double beds, a chair (no table), a TV, a microwave, and a mini-fridge. The bathroom is small but the sink is outside the bathroom that so helps. The beds are comfortable and the A/C worked fine. All rooms open out to the pool area, and I understand that can be a nuisance when the noise level is high, but the weekend we were there I didn't notice any undue noise, nor was there any noticeable noise from the street. (One caveat about the pool--the bottom is V-shaped, with the deep part in the middle and the ends shallow. The marker said the middle is 5 feet deep, but I'm 5-9 and I couldn't touch bottom.) Towels in the rooms are plentiful but kind of thin. The one bad thing about this motel, and I almost docked it a star for it, is the parking. Slots are very narrow, so if you can don't bring a large pickup or SUV here. You are allotted one parking space per room, and even though we had 3 rooms (3 spaces, right?) we were told to tighten up and get our 2 vehicles into 2 spaces. Don't bother with the elevator--it is so slow that you be down the stairs and well on your way before it arrives. All in all, for the convenience and price, I can recommend this place to people wanting a place near the water that doesn't break the budget.

Room Tip: It might help to get a room furthest from the pool. There are corner rooms that could be a little q...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I wish I could say a lot of good things about this place, but unfortunately I can't. I'm an experienced traveler–at home and abroad–and this was one of the worst experiences I've had in recent memory.
My daughter was getting married on the island and family was coming from four states and at least 10 different cities. Our rooms were booked in March. Because of the season, we knew things would be difficult but not to the degree we experienced.
First, the hotel only allows one parking place per room. One. All others must seek public parking, which runs $2 an hour from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. There is limited public parking available. My son and his girlfriend, who were staying off the island, had to park 3/4 of a mile away and walk to the hotel. They missed a brunch while looking for parking. One of the people in my room had parked behind the hotel, and learned that was a space reserved for the condos behind it. The owner of the condo was sympathetic and said she could park there for two days. However, three hours later hotel maintenance called and said the car was going to be towed if it wasn't moved since the space belonged to the condo. When we told them we had the owner's permission, they said it didn't matter. So my roommate drove around the island for over 20 minutes looking for a parking spot–all two hours before the wedding. It was ridiculous. Many in our party experienced similar things. And after spending a fortunate on lackluster rooms, we didn't like going broke paying for parking.
The room was clean BUT there were nails hanging out of the wall where decor was or should have been--lots of nails, no photos and one solitary starfish hanging above the bed.
I was in two other guests' rooms and ours was by far the worst. Tiny, cramped, no decor, no clock and only two towels....
The room beside us (and yes, we paid the same rate) was bigger, had lovely furnishings and decor but the bathroom was a disaster.
The A/C was temperamental and didn't work most of the time. We melted as we got ready for the wedding.
It took a while to check in...I waited 10 minutes for someone to come to the desk when I checked out and when I left she thanked me, calling me Mrs. Mudd--that is not my name.
The pool area was nice and clean but customer service, the decrepit state of the rooms I saw and the hideous parking made this place somewhere I don't want to visit again–even if it is a half block from the beach and beside Wet Willie's.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Caro1717
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We knew going in that there was a good chance we wouldn't be happy based on previous reviews. We weren't. We paid $140/night for a double room. Check-in was fine, no problem there. And yes the parking is very tight. The smoke detector in the room had been ripped out of the wall with the wires hanging from it. Housekeeping had to be aware that it had been removed yet they sold the room. Several knobs were missing from the furniture drawers. A black buildup of dust was along the bottom of the headboards. What looked like blood stains were on 3 of the 4 white pillowcases which we covered with tee-shirts to sleep on. I wasn't able to post pictures that I took, problem with camera. The shams of the other two pillows were stained and dirty. One of the six decorative starfish hung over the beds was missing, the nails that held it up were still in the wall. I called the front desk to report the ripped out smoke detector and was told we wouldn't be charged for it, there was no concern of the safety issue. Upon checkout the next morning we again told the manager of these concerns and were told he'd look into them. No apology, no adjustment. This property and the others on the island had no vacancies for Saturday night. As long as they sell the rooms, I doubt they will take steps to improve which is a shame considering the potential of this large property. We stayed for just one night and survived, but I'd hesitate about going there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pittsburgh12
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here May 25 - 29, 2014. I thought it was a hotel (like the Hampton Inn) but this is more of a motel. The picture of the lobby is misleading. It is a regular motel lobby painted blue with a freezer holding bags of ice for sale ($2), coffee and a stand with pamplets of local attractions. Front desk staff is friendly and will answer any questions. The office is visable so not sure why some found it hard to find. It is right on Tybrisa with a neon "OPEN" sign. The room was simple, clean (except for the armchair that was dusty from sand) & the beds were comfortable. You have to make up your own bed(s) but they will give you clean towels daily. The cleaning staff is friendly and always around to give you any toiletries you requested. My only complaint is that there is no iron so bring your own. The entrance to the beach is about 50 steps from the office (lobby). It is not a 5 minute walk more like 2 minutes. I was right across from the pool but never went in because the ocean was a few feet away so unable to give a review about that area. Finding a place to eat is no problem, you are surrounded by restaurants and bars. I will definitely stay here again.

Sidebar: If you are flying into Savannah, go to the information desk at the airport and if you are lucky, you will meet Ms. Pamela. She is very friendly, funny and will provide you with information to make your trip fun. Also, airport transportation cab driver Rick Waters is the man to see if you need a cab driver to take you around. He was a God send when we couldn't get a cab out of Tybee (good thing he gave a business card). He was very informative about Savannah and Tybee. A cab to Tybee is $55 for the first person, $5 each additional person.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BrooklynMinkie
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our first trip to Tybee. I sure expected a lot more for what we paid. Floors were tile and dirty. Pool clean, but hours not enforced. Noise was terrible after 10pm. Parking is a joke. No room.

Room Tip: Value will not be our reason for a return trip. We have stayed in places for half the cost with high...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Sea & Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!