“Great hotel location, loved the staff, loved Tybee Island!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desoto Beach Hotel

Desoto Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great hotel location, loved the staff, loved Tybee Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked two nights here in a beach facing room with a private balcony (not the one directly on the beach, but about 120 ft back). It was a beautiful room and the balcony was private enough for me. The view had the parking lot below, but the beach was straight ahead and made for some wonderful sunsets and sunrises. The staff was very nice to me and fulfilled my request to be on the top floor. You can rent beach cruiser bikes here, which I rode up and down to the pier and around the island. I would definitely come back again and maybe try the ocean front room next time. I recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Only one grocery store on Tybee, so you may want to stop and get food/drinks before you get to the h...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LizW27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Rincon,GA (near Savannah)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Did not know what to expect with the mixed reviews but I must say we did enjoy the stay and the rooms were clean and the customer service was above average. We had an ocean view room the 1st night and we were moving to an oceanfront room the 2nd night. They told us our room would be the 1st one cleaned in the morning and that they would move our stuff if we wanted. By our surprise our room was ready by noon and we moved in and enjoyed the rest of the day. The only bad thing I can say about the place is that the photos on the website make the hotel and the rooms seem much larger than they are. All in all, it was a great weekend at a nice hotel on the beach....no complaints!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 68fastback
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

The desoto is one of the best places in Georgia for me and my family,the rooms are great and everytime we come we have enjoyed our selves.until now the head manger was very rude and abruptly unprofessional and we probably won't be returning any time in the near future because we were very offended by her mannerism and tone. We spoke to the other employees and even the owner who were very understanding. But her actions nearly ruined our vacation.

• Stayed August 2011

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank April F
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our way home from Charleston. I wanted something near the ocean and so we booked a room with a view of the ocean here. I was a little hesitant after some of the reviews but I am so very glad we gave it a chance!

Our room had a king bed and a private balcony where we sat and watched the sun come up each morning. After a stay in Charleston at a hotel where we had tons of housekeeping issues, we had NONE here. The room was cleaned every day by the time we came back to our room. I could find nothing to complain about.

We found the front desk people we met to all be very friendly and helpful, especially the mother and daughter that work there together.

Is the hotel a big fancy beach resort? No. We didn’t want that anyway. We wanted something clean, pleasant and as near the beach as possible. And that is what we found. We will come back next time we stop over again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinkerbellsBFF
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

The front desk service was awful from the moment we tried to check in! A women named darcie,dorothy or marcie told us we could have an early arrival LIE...we were there at 12 we were very aware that check in time was at 3 but since we were guaranteed an early arrival well why not? We were not able to check in until 2:30. There was a very nice young lady at the front desk named Lisa that kept checking on our room status while the other women seemed very annoyed by us hanging out in the lobby it was an extremely awkward situation. The room was very clean so I was very pleased, we asked for extra coffee and the housekeeper was very pleasant and gave us two extra packs. The pool is very small but not a problem because you are feet away from the ocean which is amazing. Breakfast very simple doughnuts coffee nothing special. My biggest complain and what would make me never stay there again is that after breakfast me and my husband heard the same rude women from the day before (Darcie) speaking about how they do not wash their comforter which to me it's just plain disgusting!
1 soap stinks so bring your own!
2 sheets don't fit the beds
3 you can hear everything going on outside
4 horrible parking spaces
5 rude front desk staff
6 wifi is slow
7 fridge is too small
And the list continues so I'll leave it at that. We decided to leave early and we made our complains to the same lady which was a total mistake I expected and apology but no we got "If you feel like we didn't accommodate you well you should have left the first night there is plenty of other hotels on the island" what a slap in the face. Never again will I spend a penny on Desoto!!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
10 Thank Heather689
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

The best available room when we booked the hotel was a "side ocean view" room with two queen beds. The room was very average and dark given that the window opened to the motel walkway (where the "view" was) and so curtains had to be kept closed for privacy. The refrigerator came in handy. Our bathroom sink gurgled all night with water and terrible odor coming up from the drain. The hotel only allows one car to be parked on the premises, so we had to park our second car on the street for $10/day. The pool is miniscule but well kept. The continental breakfast is very basic - coffee, juice, cereal, bagels, doughnuts - and the breakfast area quite small. The games area was rundown with a few pool tables. The absolute best thing about the hotel is that it is directly on the beach. There are only a few, maybe six, true oceanfront rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Surf Song Bed & Breakfast
Surf Song Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 8 in Tybee Island
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort

Been to Desoto Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!