“Nothing to write home about” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sugar Shack
Ranked #3 of 4 Dessert in Tybee Island
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nothing to write home about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stopped in for ice cream during our bike ride. I asked if the ice cream was homemade, and the girl told me yes, in Atlanta. I got the almond joy ice cream, and my husband got a blueberry milkshake. If he had known the shake was going to be made from soft serve ice cream, he wouldn't have ordered if. He felt a little ripped off.

Rice VA
“A great family tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

During our annual family visits to Tybee, we always make a stop for ice cream at the Sugar Shack. We typically have to wait in line and the place is absolutely no frills yet a Tybee visit wouldn't be complete without the delicious treats here.

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“I have never understood the fascination”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been to Sugar Shack at least 50 times since I was a kid. It wasn't as good then as I thought, and it isn't much better now -- though the air conditioning is an improvement.

Sugar Shack seems to change identities as the day goes on. My parents love their breakfast, which I haven't tried. There isn't much competition for the island's breakfast business. In the late afternoons and evenings, when exhausted beachgoers queue up for food and ice cream, the staff is often rude. The food is OK but not better than that. My sister tried to order something last Saturday evening and was told that the grill had closed 10 minutes before. What bothered her was the guy's gleeful attitude, as if he had busted her for breaking a rule.

A family member called a few days ago and offered to pick up dinner for me. I didn't ask where she was. I said sure, I'll be happy if you bring something. I ended up with a fish sandwich (a rectangular patty from a distant factory) on a white bun, and average fries. I guess I would have asked for a burger if I had known she was at the Sugar Shack.

I'm generally a big fan of small, family-run businesses. As to this one, I will take my little one there for ice cream, but that's about it. I think most people go here out of habit, or because there aren't many other options on the island.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Can't see what the fuss is about”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had lunch late one afternoon, and maybe we should have just had ice cream. The food was just OK and we had quite a wait before it was ready.

• Visited June 2014
South Carolina
“Great Little Breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just dropped in for their breakfast and it was great. Had a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with coffee. Deb had the ham and cheese croissant and loved it. Walked in, ordered, and the food was delivered to our table. Nice outside seating. Friendly staff.