“Crab Stew is a Must!!”

Ranked #7 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We had A-J's on our last day at the island. It was a lunch meal. I had been guaranteed by our taxi driver the night before that if we went to A-J's and I had the crab stew, if I didn't like it that he would pay for it. His rave was spot on. It was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was very appealing. We sat on the covered deck. Our waitress was a little subpar but the other waitresses seemed very attentive to their customers as compared to ours. It was fairly inexpensive and had a great feel to the place. It is going to be a must-do every Tybee visit. Enjoy and definitely try the Crab Stew!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The missing ingredient at this restaurant seems to be logic. Our party of six went at about 6pm and we were told we'd have a 35 minute wait. We were okay with that until 30 minutes went by and we started seeing that most tables didn't have food on them, and that some of the larger tables that could accommodate parties of 6 or 8 had only one or two people at them! Seems that no one used any logic regarding where to seat people. Then we grabbed a menu and saw that it says to allow 30-45 minutes for your food to come out since everything is made to order. That explained why most tables didn't even have any food. We were hungry. We left.

We went back another day around 4:30 and were seated right away. The food was good, but nothing to rave about and certainly nothing to wait so long for.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food was good based on three visits. We loved the gumbo! Service was fine and so was the live entertainment.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Food was eh, would have been disappointed had we waited more than a few minutes. My main gripe:
What's with all of the political crap? As a democrat (like many visitors to Tybee), it was uncomfortable to see signs, bumper stickers, etc. bashing "liberals" at the front of the restaurant. While waiting to be seated, our family was "lucky" to be surrounded with "No Liberals", "The Constitution: Frustrating Liberals since 1786", as well as a hand typed, laminated sign comparing the "Liberal Dream" to a prison. I really don't care what others' political views are, to each their own. However I personally find it completely inappropriate (not to mention, bad business) to hang signs everywhere bashing a large part of your customers the second they walk through the door. As a disabled veteran, it always irks me as well to see those types of statements hung next to military signs. The two views are not mutually inclusive. Please stick to improving your food, instead of insulting your customers.

3  Thank thatsnwbrdchick
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Though we are locals, we had honestly not been to A-J’s and a couple of years. Always a wonderful place to watch the sunset, and really nothing has changed since we were last there, as far as atmosphere. The food is decent though the portions are certainly not huge. My shrimp Caesar salad was tasty, but it had a total of six shrimp, and not so much as a cracker, a hush puppy, or piece of bread in sight to go with it..... Service again, decent but just decent.
When asked by tourists if this is my favorite place, there are other places that I would visit first.

2  Thank Tybeeite