“Meh..”

Sandcastle Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
“Meh..”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The room was semi decent, it was outdated and needed a good scrub down, but it was ok for what my husband and I used it for: a one night stay!! We went on a random trip to Tybee and this was the only place that had rooms!! It definitely was not worth $213/night!! The breakfast was horrible stale cereal, stale bagels, and the millk tasted a little out dated!! The best thing about this place was the location!! Perfect!! The beach was right there and you could walk to pretty much everything else!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This could be up there with the worst experience of my life. Took a trip to Tybee from the Midwest and landed in hell. First, the rate changed almost every day I was there. They gave different reasons for this.

Next I get in the hot room and the AC does not work THE INTERNET DOES NOT WORK EITHER.... they told me to use the code from the hotel across the street for internet access....(are you kidding me?) Finally they give me another room. FILTHY.... at this point I am stuck and available hotels are booked so I could drive all the way back home or try to make the best of it.

Left to shop in Savannah only to come back to NO PARKING PLACE...they told me to park on the dark side street....sure, a woman alone will do that right? I parked right in the front door and told them I would move my car when they found me a place to park or it would STAY THERE COVERING THE DOOR ALL NIGHT...... a kid ran out and finally found me a place to park in this tiny awkward parking lot. Oh...the pool....don't ask.

This nightmare went on for 3 days. Finally the day I was to check out I got up early. Went to the office for a cup of coffee. I was told NO....because they didn't put on a pot of coffee until 7am. I said I will make the coffee....NO....you can not. $200.00 a night and I can't have a cup of coffee???? ($200 a night...now this may vary as they change the price while you are there)

The front desk help boys were beyond rude. It's filthy. Don't ask for coffee. Don't try to park your car ever again if you leave the lot. Don't try to use the internet...they use the code from the place across the street. Don't ask for towels. In fact don't ask for anything and all for the low low price of.....who knows....they seem to change the rate every day.

You would have to be absolutely desperate to stay here. I would sleep in my car before I would ever go to this place again....and....its NOT on the beach. I will say this, the people in Tybee were nice and the beach was beautiful. I took a second trip back to Tybee later in August and stayed elsewhere and loved it. Thank goodness I didn't let this nightmare ruin Tybee for me. I love the Island and the beach.

We are going back in July this year. We have another place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank S R

Travellers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to come up to Tybee Island, from Savannah, for one night. We decided to stay the night at this hotel. After taxes, the price for the room came to $180.00. THIS WAS FOR ONE NIGHT, ONE QUEEN SIZED BED. We thought, that since the room was kind of pricey, that it should be nice. No. Their "queen size bed" was actually just two twin mattresses put together. They sheets didn't fit over the mattresses. The sheets had little orange stains all over them. The shower had something brown coming out of the drain. The room was dark and small, AND DIRTY. We decided to get out money back and stay somewhere else.

PARKING WAS HORRIBLE.
DON'T STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Sleeping on a towel on the beach would be nicer.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amwash01
Princeton, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

#1 - They let you know up front at the desk that PARKING IS IMPOSSIBLE. There is a sign that reads: If you can't find a parking spot, come back to the office and we will find one for you. Thats great. I wish they would have taken my driver's license exam too- huh? The parking lot is tiny and at a crazy angle, so you have to circle around the building to park.
#2 - We went in the room and it smelled like sewer. My son (4) said it smelled like smoke everytime we walked in (non-smoking room). I always bring my lysol and wipes and clean every room we stay at, but my wipes were black when I was done. I finally went back downstairs and told the lady that the room was nasty and stunk and asked for a refund. She told me that we had been in the room about an hour and too much time had passed before we could get a refund. WELL had I not needed to stalk a parking spot and Austin Power park the car, then unload 2 kids and all their stuff, walk around the building because we had to park so far away, then clean the nasty room before I would let my kids touch anything then it wouldn't have been so long before I came to complain. Staff was so unhospitable and uncaring of the fact that they run a piece of crap establishment.
#3 Finally figured out the reason for the poopy smell - tiolet doesn't work well. You have to constantly flush it to get it to work.
#4 EVERY SINGLE TIME we tried to get back in the room - the key did not work. I had to walk down the stairs, around the building in the office to get them to reprogram it. When I let them know of the issue, the assured me that it was fixed THIS TIME, well it was not EVER fixed. One time, they didn't even answer the office door (kept it locked mostly), so I was locked out and had to bang really loud in the middle of the night , wake up my family to have them let me in. Hotel office should be staffed at all times. They should be availalbe to address my concerns at any hour.
#5 NEVER SAW CLEANING PERSON OR CART. I was watching for SOMEONE to ask for extra towels, and our sheets changed, so finally I went to the office and I was told that whatever we needed, we could just ask from the office, that way "no one is in our room"! WAIT A MINUTE! You mean to tell me that there is no cleaning person, nobody to change our sheets or pick up our dirty towels? OH, and they are doing that as a favor to me apparently. SO I got the pleasure of paying someone to let me change our beds. NEVER in my life have I had to change my own hotel sheets, and by the way, they were not spotlessly clean sheets either. So our dirty towels and sheets stayed piled up. I have never been to a place that did not have maid service. How disgusting.
#6 NO POOL - pool was under construction, but it is located beside the trash dump, so if it was working, I can't imagine how wonderful that would have been. They should have given some type of lower rate for not having a working pool.
#7 I don't know if they advertise breakfast or not but they didn't tell us that they offered juice and muffins in the morning. WOW.
OVERALL, a complete and expensive disaster. We paid $365 dollars to drive around in circles looking for parking, travel up and down and around the building to get keys changed (at least 6 times myself), sleep in a stinky dirty room and have to change my own sheets. The ocean front hotel just behind this dump was only $100 more, but since they wouldn't give us our money back, we didn't get to go.
DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Tell everyone you know to NEVER stay here and hopefully this place will go out of business! YUCK
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank YanSE4
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My sister, mother, and I decided to stay at the Sandcastle Inn last weekend for a girl's getaway. When we entered the room, it was very damp feeling. We immediately turned on the air conditioner which seemed to help. We immediately took the nasty brown blanket (that looked like it was from the 1980s) off the bed as well as the top comforter because they both looked old and unclean. Thank goodness we brought our own blankets to sleep under. It was obvious that the room was just spot-cleaned after the last people left because the floor was not vacuumed and there were things that the last people left behind. Not thinking too much about it, we just went to sleep. The next morning, we got up and got ready to head to the beach. Suddenly, I noticed a LIVE roach crawling on my pillow. We informed the office and she said that the rooms had been sprayed last week. Yuck! Also worth mentioning, the maids were never seen with a cleaning cart. Perhaps that is why the rooms are not really cleaned. My sister, mother, and I all left the Sandcastle with severe sinus infections. I am willing to bet that the nasty, damp air combined with a barely functional air conditioning was to blame. Do not stay here!!!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Kimberly M
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

9/29/2012- this was an absolute nightmare, I wish I would have had my computer with me to read the reviews before checking in. This was the only hotel with vacancy's and I definatly now know why. Our $125 night started out with the bathtub not draining at all after the first shower-mainteneace man did come and fix, several broken lights and the alarm clock was busted in 1/2 literally....and those were he good things...when we turned down the bed covers there was the nastiest yellow blanket over totally disturbing yellow stained sheets. So we then decided to turn down the other beds nasty blankets and there was a BIG GROSS stain in the middle of that sheet. And I can't leave without mentioning the horrifically dirty/stained/hair covered pillows and pillow cases that they expected me to sleep on. The so called manager "Nina Perry" is extremely rude and she could care less about ANY of our concerns and does NOT have a ounce of Customer Service skills in her body. She and the Hotel should be replaced immediatly. I will be calling the Board of Health today so hopefully no one else has to experiance what we had to.

Room Tip: do not stay at this hotel at all, this is the ONLY tip I can offer!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dallas30252
Gray, Georgia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I checked into this hotel and when we turned back the sheets, there was blood on them. There were also used towels in the bathroom. We demanded another room. My son drank chocolate milk from a sippie cup and some milk got on the sheets. We completed our stay and went home. When the hotel charge ran on my credit card, there was a $30.00 miscl fee. When I called to ask what this was about, I was advised that there was a spot on our sheets that looked like blood (it was chocolate milk) and they were required by law to destroy the sheets. The $30.00 fee was to replace the sheets. It was ironic that the room we were moved from DID have blood on the sheets. The owner/manager was so rude and would not refund my money. Please think twice before staying here. I would rather stay in a tent than stay at this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Sandcastle Inn? Share your experiences!